WAG Number of routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What would you say is a good number of routines a week or day? Are you for high number of routines? Routines everyday? Or more for less but still some routines?

During comp season we have to do 5 stuck (the meaning depends on the person e.g stuck for one girl is everything but bwo stuck) routines and then work on skills that need work. Floor we do two routines and run laps after each vault we just vault and bars I'm not sure what they do as I don't compete them but I'd imagine it is 5 clean routines

The better you are...the easier it is to do high numbers of routines...

The better you are...the less routines you need to do...

...don't really know the answer.

It depends on the event and where we are in the season. Our max would be routines 3x a week (with one day off for skills/uptraining). These are the max values leading up to states/regionals:
Vault: 8 near-stuck vaults for people doing flipping vaults, 12-15 for others
Bars: 5 made routines or try 10
Beam: 8 in-a-row made routines, 12 made routines, or 16 tries. (Let me tell you, only once did I have to try 16 and my back wanted to commit suicide at the end.)
Floor: 2 made routines or 4 tries, plus 3 stuck of each tumbling pass and 15 leaps/jumps/turns.

......The better you are...the less routines you need to do.....

Thanks JBS, I'm going with one routine....... each and every week.:p

Okay, getting serious now...... Here's my "fallback" meet season number scheme, which gets adjusted depending on fatigue, owies, and stress level...... no, their's, not mine!

Bars...... 12 routines minus stuck routines equals the total each optional child has to work through.

Beam.....10 routines plus a routine for a fall or a complete loss of alignment (like a turn to side at the end of bhs x 2 series, with or with-out Wiley Coyote arm flapping), it works out to a team wide average of about 13-15 routines.

Floor...... 2 full routines, 1 "slo-motion" (picture tai chi) dance through with no music, 1 dance through with music. This only works once the kids have learned each other's routines well enough to have two kids on the floor at a time. One kid does a full routine w/music while the other does her dance through or slo-mo routine.

Vault..... However many we can get done.

Wow this is a lot! Would you guys keep the same number for level 10 girls? I don't think I could do those numbers, I'd die.

I'm sure I'd take it easy on you..... :D ;)

I'm not a big fan of packing routines with every skill in the book, and believe if a skill is consistently causing a problem it doesn't belong in the routine, but should be worked outside of the routines. Really, the only event that's hard to get through is floor because it take a long time to get through all the full and dance throughs with music. Bars?..... 5 minutes of warm up, catch your breath, do a routine, catch your breath, do a routine. Total time, depending on how many routines the math works out to....... around 14-18 minutes, depending on how many routines each kid hits, from the moment grips are on. Yeah, it's a fast pace, but the pace helps them focus and it's sure nice to have 25-35 minutes available for individual skill work.

well, it just depends. With the compulsory girls, I like 5 to 10 stuck routines. Optional girls 3 to 5. Comps I concentrate on the little things like toes and body position, opts I like to have them go big some days. Now competition week, they have got to have their game on.

My dd says:

Floor, 1 or 2 full routines and 2 dance routines and sometimes a cardio routine or 2.

Beam, 10 if you don't stick your show routine, 7 if you stick the show routine

Bars, 10 or 7, depending on what the show routine looked like.

Vault, 6 of each vault (she has 2 different vaults).

Editing to add that it is the height of competition season.

Yay thank you iwannacoach!! Lol this got me thinking... Is 3 to 5 bar and beam routines too little!? That's what we're doing now everyday and it's tiring me out! I couldn't imagine 10...

Geez, first you beg for mercy, and then you expect advice??? :rolleyes: :p

Tell you what. If you're hitting, no wait......

If you're surprised when you miss a skill in a routine because you almost always hit, you're doing fine.

If you can get through your routines without feeling like the next skill is coming too quickly, you're doing fine.

If, in addition to your required routines, you're working mount plus next two's and last two's into dismounts, and any elements that aren't yet "like butter", you're doing fine.

There's a lot of ways to get to "doing fine", my way works for me.... but may not work for another coach. The bottom line is to have confidence in your skills and your ability to present them on a moment's notice, ideally, as a piece of human art in motion.

I think you either get that already, or just did. So try to apply that standard to those three routines and the skill work done before and after, because if you try, and continue to try, you're doing fine.

I agree with iwannacoach that how you feel during the routine is more important than the numbers. If you can do 10 stuck beam routines but are still completely terrified of doing your back walkover, then the numbers aren't as relevant.

That said, during the height of competition season, most girls generally followed these numbers:
Floor: Two full routines (if you fall or do a pass badly you have to do it right away after the music finishes) and a dance routine. Sometimes a cardio routine (sprints or pushing a block across the floor) would be added.
Vault: Timed warm-up, 2 vaults that everyone watches, then about 10 more.
Beam: 10 stuck routines, the coach watches at least one. Sometimes we did a timed warm-up, show routine, then 5-10 more routines. Sometimes we would be told: on beam 1 focus on your dance. on beam 2 make your leaps really high. beam 3, try extra hard to stick your dismount, etc.
Bars: Timed warm-up, show routine, then 5-10 full routines.

Even after doing this we still have time for new skills and conditioning because we are expected to do them quickly. I can see these numbers being high for girls with longer and more complicated routines, but ours are pretty short (Ontario Level 3 - 5/6) and only have two tumbling lines for floor. Occasionally we tumble on the rod floor in between floor routines.

Bars:1 warm up, 6 or 7 connected
Beam: 5 in a row (if you fall you start over)
Floor: 2 the run and work on skills in between
Vault: 10 vaults

We have our last meet of the season in a week. We have 10 gymnasts, 2 sets of bars, 1 vault and 2 high beams. We train 9 hours a week and our rotations are 30 minutes long. So the numbers I read above are just not possible for us. My gymnasts are about level 4 and we are two coaches for that group.

On floor: 2 routines without music (every body at the same time). Than one with the music. During this time, I work on tumblings (that we have to compete in addition to floor) or skills separately on one end of the floor with the rest of the girls.

Vault: As many as possible

Bars: One set of bars for routines, one for more problematic skills, sometimes for half routines. I'd say they generally can at least do 5 routines each.

Trampoline (we do have to compete tramp in the category I coach): well, it's hard training trampoline when you have only one tramp, 10 gymnasts and 30 minutes rotations, twice a week. So it's like 3 to 5 routines a week. The other gymnasts do conditioning during that time.

Beam: Usually we will ask for 10 of each skills, or put girls in team of two, one team/beam, and ask them to do as many routine as possible, changing beam every 5-8 minutes.

And on thursdays there are rec classes, so we don't have a full floor. So we can't train routines!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back