number of tumbling passes in floor routines for level 9

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello,
My daughter is starting her second year at a new gym. She is a second year level 9. She has had 3 tumbling passes since level 7(routines given by her old coach). She is getting a new floor routine this year and her new coach wants to give all of the girls only 2 tumbling passes. He says that if they can get all of the requirements in two passes along with making the entire routine shorter then there is less opportunity for deductions. He wants her whole routine to be between a minute and 10 and a minutes 15 seconds. Her routine now is a minute 26 seconds. All level 9s I have seen have longer routines and 3 tumbling passes. A friend from another gym said their 9s are going to get only 2 passes as well. Could someone please tell me if this is a new thing? Does it seem like a good idea for level 9s to have only 2 passes? Or will my daughter seem less prepared then the other level 9s she is competing against?

No problem with short and sweet, as long as it's a complete statement.

I've always looked at gymnastics routine composition as a means of making an artistic and technical statement, and a reflection of the gymnasts personal values. I think the combined effect of choreography, dance, acro, and tumbling is lost when emphasis is placed on achieving the highest score at the cost of either dance, acrobatics, or powerfull tumbling.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are many who would favor the risk management approach to scoring, but I think the scores will be lower if the "extra" non-tumbling elements aren't done well.

There is no explicit requirement regarding the number of tumbling passes in a routine. As long as she hits all her requirements, she's good.

like...round off>1 1/2 twist>punch front step out>round off>flip flop>double tuck. all done. 1 pass.:)

I can say that's a smart idea; however, this could also come back to bite the coach at Regionals. Some judges may not like that because of composition. I know everyone thinks they judge what they see but where is the balance in the routine. Meaning you should show ideally, forward tumbling, backward tumbling, with a will balance of passes. Yes your child will win, but when you get to Regionals and a judge sees a girl doing tumbling passes that's just as hard as your child then adds a cherry by doing successfully another tumbling pass. Who would you think would score higher? Again, this is your coaches philosophy bit it seems a bit much to connect in each of those passes. Keep us posted and let us know how it work out. Finally, one mistake in either of those tumbling passes can be horrible outcome in start value of she miss a connection or fall. Just food for thought.

So long as all the requirements are there 2 passes are fine.

Keep in mind though that 3rd pass although may have the potential for deductions also has the potential for adding points for missed skills in one of the other passes. I've seen both with 2 passes and 3 passes and both score well even at regionals. If all the required elements are there and done well it shouldn't matter if its 2 or 3 unless there are bonus moves.

I can say that's a smart idea; however, this could also come back to bite the coach at Regionals. Some judges may not like that because of composition. I know everyone thinks they judge what they see but where is the balance in the routine. Meaning you should show ideally, forward tumbling, backward tumbling, with a will balance of passes. Yes your child will win, but when you get to Regionals and a judge sees a girl doing tumbling passes that's just as hard as your child then adds a cherry by doing successfully another tumbling pass. Who would you think would score higher? Again, this is your coaches philosophy bit it seems a bit much to connect in each of those passes. Keep us posted and let us know how it work out. Finally, one mistake in either of those tumbling passes can be horrible outcome in start value of she miss a connection or fall. Just food for thought.

my post was tongue in cheek.:)

Not a new thing, although in level 9 and 10 I would say it's fairly unusual. Most girls have 3 passes, particularly in L10 unless a strong tumbler have to meet the C salto in final pass requirement - with common second pass being FLO+FLO that won't do it. When it happens I think it will score fine. Let's say the passes are a double back and a front full punch front. That would score well. If the passes were for example easier but still met the requirements then I suppose they could be in comp deduction territory whereas adding a third pass could possibly alleviate that...but it's hard to say without specific passes.

There is one issue and say the gymnast misses a double salto pass - say it's supposed to be the second pass...then not much room to correct that within the routine whereas a three pass routine could possibly correct. But for some athletes this isn't a likely issue so it just depends. I also would not do this for a level 10 who is close to NCAA eligibility. I think a well done two pass routine would be fine and wouldn't hurt the chances of the best gymnasts out there, but it is uncommon to do two passes in the NCAA and the name of the game is to show them the athlete is ready for their lineups.

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate it. gymdog, yes one of my concerns is that if any colleges were to take note of her they might think she is not capable of 3 passes or doesn't have enough skills for 3. She is going to be a Freshman next year so I guess we have time for her to have 3 passes in future years but I still am concerned. That is also a good point that if she misses something in an earlier pass she can make up for it in the 3rd pass if she had one. I think I will talk to the coach again but don't think I will be able to change his mind. Oh well 2 passes this year and then 3 next year for level 10. Thanks again!

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate it. gymdog, yes one of my concerns is that if any colleges were to take note of her they might think she is not capable of 3 passes or doesn't have enough skills for 3. She is going to be a Freshman next year so I guess we have time for her to have 3 passes in future years but I still am concerned. That is also a good point that if she misses something in an earlier pass she can make up for it in the 3rd pass if she had one. I think I will talk to the coach again but don't think I will be able to change his mind. Oh well 2 passes this year and then 3 next year for level 10. Thanks again!

I think it's really fine for level 9 and probably even a first year 10. But if it's a junior in high school, level 10, I just don't think I would go that way unless they really have some sort of Aly Raisman "wow!" pass. I mean if you're Aly doing RO 1.5 stepout, arabian double punch front layout, yeah sure, any college is going to take you. But it really depends on so much, the passes, their overall floor work, that there might be valid reasons to avoid a third pass, etc. It's hard to say. I'm just making general observations - that it's pretty unusual in NCAA lineups, and pretty unusual at level 10 regionals and nationals. For any individual there may be very valid reasons to do this.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back