Offically has Gymnast's Hands (pics)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Deanna

Moderator/Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Last week while on bars, Kadee's thumbnail (on the side where it connects to the side of her thumb) pulled loose. Her HC told her that a sign of a true gymnast is rough, tough hands, that always has blisters, callauses, rips, tears, ect.
Well tonight when I picked her up, she comes running over to me.."Momma..I got my first rip!" Now since reading on here I knew what a rip was. (I felt my chest swell with pride that I did NOT have to ask just what she was talking about this time..lol). She shows me her hands and sure enough, she has 3 or 4 small blisters..and one the edge was just starting to pull away from her hand.
I didn't know for sure how to respond. So I just simply said, "that's great baby". Her HC walks over to me and says. "Now Momma, having rips in the gymnastic's world is bragging rights". She smiled, winked at Kadee and walked away.
So, I guess my 5 yr old BABY girl officaly has gymnast's hands.
I tried to take a picture of her hand, but she was busy on the phone with her grandmother, trying to explain why it's a good thing to have sores on your hands..lol. So the pictures are'nt the best, but if you look real close you can see the blisters. The one up closest to her middle finger is the one that had JUST started to "rip".

DSCF0075.jpg

DSCF0076.jpg

Sorry, I don't know why the bottom picture ended up so big. Photo bucket says It's the same size as the other one. Delete it if you need too.

Cute. Put the picture in her scrapbook. Mine has yet to get a rip but keeps asking why she has callouses on her hands. I keep telling her to be proud of them!

My DD also has calluses on her hands, however she also plays on the bars a lot at school so it isn't all from gymnastics training. When I was a kid I had calluses all over my hands from swinging on the bars at school.

DD cried when she first ripped about a year and a half ago, but her coaches said she laughed it off and did feel good and proud. To this day, she doesn't use grips because her hands are so little. The Pixie grips are still too big! Coach says DD is a tough cookie! Your little one seems well on her way to getting there too!

My daughter also cried the first time she got a rip. It was like the world had ended for her. She gets them all the time now and it doesn't bother her. Sometimes she gets like 3 or 4 on one hand in one night.

Congrats to your daughter. I say congrats because my daughter was told once you get gymnastics hands you are a true gymnast. LOL.

LOL! Too cute that she is so excited. We are now at the point where my dd tries studiously to avoid rips. Even with grips, which are new this year, she still gets them and they tend to interfere with bar training - which she needs! As a result, she is making friends with the pumice stone and bag balm.

Thanks everyone. Niki, Kadee too plays on the bars at school. The teacher sent home a note a few weeks back about having to tell her "no gymnastics at school" after she did a pull over..lol.
I just thought I would share on here, because there are not too many places I can go and talk about my daughter having sores on her hands and no one thinks its a bad thing.

Aww! How cute! She is a true gymnast :) I got such a kick out of reading your other post about the "no gymnastics at school" thing. That's how you know she loves it! I did the same thing when I was little, but my mom worked at the school so the other teachers and recess staff let me get away with a little bit more... Ha ha!

I remember when my dd experienced her first rip...she was in a developmental class, and it was soooo cute...all the little girls in her group were huddled up together looking at it, and the other girls were actually the first to run out after practice yelling, "Maliya got a rip! She's a real gymnast now!!" lol...
I thought it was horrific, but to them, its a rite of passage...
congrats to your "real" gymnast!!!:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back