Oh geez.....what can I do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cadybearsmommy

Proud Parent
Well apparently the other night while I was out shopping with a friend, the kids were going crazy jumping on/off the side of the couch, Cady was doing "backflips" off the side of the couch, etc (right onto our hard laminate floors...:eek:......Well did my dh stop them? Of course not! :mad:

So Cady wakes up the next morning with her heels so sore she can barely walk. She will only walk on her tip-toes. The bottoms of her heels look red and swollen. I have been putting ice in them and letting her soak her feet in warm water with epsom salt. It seems to help temporarily, but the pain and swelling come back. Is there anything else I should be doing? Do I need to take her to the doctor tomorrow, or will this heal on it's own?

I know there are some long term conditions associated with this for athletes like gymnasts, but Cady is so young and not really doing any hard tumbling yet, that I don't think it is a result of gymnastics at the gym, but the jumping/flipping she was doing off the couch. So this should be just short term bruising right? She is supposed to have gymnastics tomorrow, but I am definitely keeping her home and off her feet and possibly for her Wednesday class as well.

Just let me know if there is anything I can do to help her. I was pretty angry at dh, but he honestly feels terrible to see her in such pain...:(

Oh no, is it that bad? Ok, well I will get her to the doc first thing tomorrow....OMG, I feel like crying, my poor baby...=( Can't believe we let this happen....

relax. worst it can be are fractured growth plates and casts. that's what happens when you hit laminate or ceramic floors. she'll be fine. you must rule it out so that she is not running around on it to soon.

now...what to do with dad...bad dad...LOL! glad it's not me and my wife...LOL...sorry, i'm not laughing at your expense. i'm just laughing, hopefully, with you. this too shall pass. she'll be okay.:) omg...how many toilets must be cleaned in your house?:) how often?:)

p.s....i got a couple of extra rooms/beds here now that the kids are grown if needed.:)

and by the way...NO HEAT on them thar heels, okay? ice only but not directly on the heels/skin. paper towels or cloth between her heels and ice.

Ugh! Make sure dad sees how dangerous gymnastics at home can be and then get the little one to the doctor, one with an xray machine will save you multiple trips.

Poor Cady!!!! But I bet she never does THAT again!!! ESPECIALLY since its causing her to miss gym. On a side note...can u take her to an urgent care? No appt needed and they usually have xray machines and charge like an office visit, not an ER. Please keep us posted as to her condition! I agree...dad gets to scrub toilets for awhile, lol!!!

she needs to go get the xrayed. the same thing happend to me when my brother scared me and i jumped downa flight of stairs onto our hardwoos floor. it could be bruising but there could be other things only shown by an xray. I hope all is well and she is feeling back to normal soon. keep us updated

Take her to her pediatrician. If she needs x-rays they'll send her to get them and let you know if she needs to see an orthopedist. Urgent cares are ok, but usually their x-rays aren't great quality and they'll just send her on to her own doc or an ortho.

Take a deep breath. She'll be ok. Hubby on the other hand.......................................

I'd definitely get it checked out. I hope it is nothing but it does seem pretty serious for her to only walk on her tip toes, so you'd definitely want to rule any serious injury out.

If you are comfortable giving her an anti-inflammatory (you could probably call your pediatrician's office with this question), then it might help.

And I know it is hard not to feel terrible when a child gets hurt but you really couldn't have predicted it would happen. I'm sure she will be okay but better safe than sorry when it comes to something like this.

If your kids are really energetic, then you might think about getting an indoor mini tramp. I don't like backyard tramps but personally I think a small indoors one just for bouncing is good exercise for an energetic child (better than the furniture) and fairly safe.

It sounds like a good lesson for your DD, it will probably be a while before she decodes to back flip onto hard surfaces again. Sometimes its a blessing in disguise, perhaps she has hurt herself a little today, and she will recover, but sometime in the next few months she could find herself in a situation where she is tempted to flip onto concrete or a similar surface and she would have been seriously injured but she will remember this and it won't happen.

It may make discipline easier for you too, next time she tries gym in the house you can say "do you remember what happened to your heels?" and it will probably end it there.

Poor dear, but yeah probably a lesson learned. Some kids won't listen to reason. Bella has been told repeatedly what things she can and cannot do at home on her mats, beam, tramp, and kip bar. Her coach has given her the same guidelines. And yet, I still find her attempting things she has seen the big girls do.

Last week, I walked by the room we have her stuff in and saw her standing on her beam all prepared to try a back walkover. She's a very new L4 and they don't work on BWOs on the floor yet, let alone beam. She stood there and stood there, arms up, little foot pointed, trying to talk herself into it. She didn't see me so she jumped a foot when I softly said "If you do what you're thinking about doing, you're going to miss that beam with your hands and your head is going to smash into it and it will really really hurt." I fully believe that had I not been walking down the hall at that moment, I would have heard a very loud thump.

So don't beat yourself (or hubby) up. You can make a rule and enforce it when you are there but some kids.... oh some of our kids..... sometimes they learn better from natural consequences. It kills me that my kid is one of those kids.

Sorry to hear she hurt her heels. How everything is ok. Agree with X-ray, don't want to mess with growth plates.

I think both she & hubby learned their lesson.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Head to the DR office to be evaluated - You will probably end up in x-ray to make sure nothing is fractured or growth plates.

Thanks for all of the advice, it is much appreciated...

Well, she woke up screaming last night that they were hurting really bad, so off to the ER we went. They ran x-rays...no fractures, thank goodness! However the ER doc was concerned b/c she had a fever and the bruised part of her heels was really red and hot to touch. He had never seen anything like it before, but was worried about infection, so they admitted her for the night. Luckily her bloodwork came back ok, and the fever went away so they ruled out infection. The ortho came in and said it was badly bruised with some tissue damage and that it would just have to heal. He did say that sometimes there can be small fractures that don't show up right away on xray, so to have her xrayed again if she is not improving in a few days. So she is home and resting...still not walking too well, but all we can hope for is that she heals quickly.

Hubby feels thoroughly guilty and has been spoiling her rotten with ice cream. I think we all learned a tough lesson here, thank goodness it wasn't any worse.

Oh and for "punishment" he gets to clean out the guinea pig cage today....:p Far worse than any toilet.

Glad nothing is broken but sorry she is in pain. It seems like I catch my daughter doing all kinds of stuff she should not be on our tile floors and it drives me crazy. Guess I really should crack down on it. Luckily she has never hurt herself but this is a good lesson for everyone. Hope she feels better soon!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back