WAG One on One Meetings with Coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
DD told me that all of the optionals will be meeting one on one with the coaches in a couple weeks. I assume it would be to review goals, areas to improve, etc. DD's really not sure what the primary purpose is, how long, etc. (I assume it can't be more than 10 minutes with over 30 optionals on the team). Does anyone do this in your gym? Any ideas if there's something the coaches want to hear -- especially to move up? DD's 12 and hopes to move to Level 8 next year. She's written on prior goal sheets that she wants to move up, so they should know. I think DD should be prepared to ask what they're looking for from her in order to move up. Any other ideas of what she should say or ask? I really like the concept.

This is pretty common and I am sure it is for exactly the reasons you listed. Our optionals have been meeting with the coaches the last couple of weeks to set goals for next year and review long term goals, as well as of course discuss areas to improve. Instead of telling the coaches, 'I really want to move up" which you said they know, she should take the opportunity to ask the coaches what specifically she needs to be working on and what their expectations are for someone to compete level 8.

I'd think at least 10, and not more than 30 minutes. These meetings are a great way to get coaches and gymnasts on the same page..... usually, the coach's with some editing done by the gymnasts.

Our meeting lasts 15 min. and they go over, generally, how the gymnast feels the year went, any improvements the coaches want to see and goals for next year (including level and skills).

Sometimes, they last 10-15 minutes up to 30. Sometimes, they end up getting out of the gym at 9pm or later (hour longish).

In a few programs, they have been literally 5-10 minutes because I kept communication so much through email and talking to them after or before practice. Basically, I'd only have to meet with the problem parents.

Yup, we do it twice per year. We look at it just like at school with parent-teacher conferences. And that makes sense, given the amount of time they spend at the gym! It almost rivals the amount of hours at school! lol

We do this for all girls on the competitive team, though, not just the optionals.

I've seen a lot of gyms do it a lot of different ways. Once a year, multiple times a year, ten minutes, half hour etc. Although some gyms don't do it at all, I think it provides a good framework for communication with the coaches. If communication about goals needs to happen beyond that that's fine, but it's a good place to start. I've also seen a lot of clubs who use evaluation sheets for move-ups present those to the parents at those meetings so they can see where their child is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back