One Season over another begins - WOW

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cher062

It's hard to believe the season is over there were alot of meets this season but now that its over it seems to have flown by.

This past Monday was move up day for the levels. Well I couldn't believe how many kids. Of course the move up is only in effect if they get their skills.

My DD is estatic that she is moving up to L8 - She has been uptraining all season and has the twisty part on vault but need landing work. I guess your butt isn't the right place to land LOL. she has her floor tumbling twisting stuff and again has only done the moves landing into the pit. now they are going to move her to the floor - that should be interesting. She is excited about having the giants with a some type ot turn on the bars in her routine and some other L9 move in her routine dont ask me the names to me I stopped watching as I can only stand so much of my heart in my throat as they learn this stuff. Beam is going to be more simiple until she gets use to the L8 required skills with a few bonus moves. But she is already making goals for herself to push her self to get skills a little quicker and not be so afraid of new moves.

We also had a big surge in our optional team. Seems one of the other gyms couldn't give enough hours to their optional coach and lost their optional coach and the whole optional team with the exception of one girl switched to our gym the other went to another gym closer to her home!

WOW - we actually have enough girls now at all the optional levels to have a "TEAM" at meets and get team trophies. Also the gym where the girls came from is in the area where we actually live and my DD knows alot of them already from Scouts and school. I actually know some of the parents already and they are awsome folks. What a boost this will be to our program. It's funny as that was the other gym we had considered last year when we switched.

Its exciting!!

Things are exciting at our gym too. Although DD will begin the new season still on level 8, she has been given some deadlines by her coach so she can train 9 this summer. She has to have a double full on floor and a double back flyaway on bars, front and back giants, and her piked tsuk by May 31. Then she will continue working straddle backs again, blind change, double backs on floor and LO step out on beam. She is working very hard and she takes deadlines very seriously. Unfortunately, two teammates got injuries last week! Hope they get right back because it is always more fun wiht more girls. We only have about 8 girls in the optionals group right now.

Level four is full though, with about 80 kids!

Cher- Sounds like she is very motivated for L8. what vault is your dd working? Also, I don't believe there is bonus in L8. I think that starts in L9. My dd has been talking about bonus a lot. Flipper- My dd sounds a lot like your dd. Competed 8 last year. We don't find out about level placement until fall. My dd is working.... bars (shoot overs, shoot ups and double backs) Floor (1 1/2 punch front and fhspring layout layout) beam (new leaps/jumps, hspring layout, handspring arabian dismount, switch leap one arm backhandspring) Vault- yurechenko. It is such an exciting time for them. Good Luck!

Yes she is very motivated for L8 - it will be the beam skills at L8 that will be the item that may hold her back for a bit.

LOL I wish I knew the names of all the moves she does. I refer to them as that twisty thing you do just after that rolly thing LOL.

Let me think on vault every L8 has 2 vaults to compete at our gym one is supposed to be the "easy one" and one the "Hard one" - I know one she calls a suke (spelling), and one is something with a full twist. She can do all the twisting stuff in the air but she doesn't have the landings yet - alot of collapsing , or lots of big steps to keep from landing on face or butt.

Floor she has been practicing some type of layout twisty thing and like with vault she can do the twisting in the air but the landings need work and control. Coaches have said that shouldn't take long to get (crossing fingers they are right)

her beam they want her to do some type of leap series as her leaps are outstanding and they know she can do them - again I don't know what they are called. She is also woring on the back handspring back walkover to get that to look better - she tends to twist her hip to the right as she goes over how she lans on the baem with that twisting motion I don't know. She is also working on a dismount that has a strange looking cartwheel type thing that goes into what looks like a round off with some type of dismount where she is facing backwards going off the beam right now she is just jumping as far as she can backwards off the beam and landing on her feet but she is supposed to do some type of flip or layout thing. DD told me the names of these but I just can't remember them.

As far as bonus moves I think our gym refers to them as that because they are L9 moves that L8 can have in their routines - I know my dd has somting on bars like this they want her to do as it is her strongest event. I don't think they actually get extra points at meets for them though. But I don't know the names of them - I go with "that twisty turn you do right after that swinging thing."

Cher, sounds like exciting times for your dd! I hope she gets to move on to Level 8. Great news about picking up more optional team members too. Always good to have more girls on your team! My dd is also hoping to move to Level 8, but it will be vault that will be the determining factor. She has already been able to complete her entire Level 8 bar routine, has most of her beam skills and is doing her full and fhs/layout on rod floor. Vault though - ugh! I have no clue whether she is going to be able to do it. She is training the yurchenko and is doing timers over the table but getting zero block. I know this vault takes a long time to learn and I'm wondering whether the summer is going to be enough time.

Oh that is one of the vaults they are having her try too that Yurchenko thing. So they have 3 vaults she is training. I knew there was something else.

Sounds like the "twisty" vault if the fhs-full twist. Then they'll probably see which vault--tsuk or yurchenko works best for her. The twisty thing on floor is most likely her full twist and the beam dismount maybe a round off-back tuck. Right now she's probably just doing the round off.
Bars sounds like a pirouette(1/2 turn after a kip/cast on low bar) and they may be trying the shootover and straddle back to see which one again is best for her. She can only do 1 of them.
No bonus at L8.

Yes she is very motivated for L8 - it will be the beam skills at L8 that will be the item that may hold her back for a bit.

LOL I wish I knew the names of all the moves she does. I refer to them as that twisty thing you do just after that rolly thing LOL.

Let me think on vault every L8 has 2 vaults to compete at our gym one is supposed to be the "easy one" and one the "Hard one" - I know one she calls a suke (spelling), and one is something with a full twist. She can do all the twisting stuff in the air but she doesn't have the landings yet - alot of collapsing , or lots of big steps to keep from landing on face or butt.

Floor she has been practicing some type of layout twisty thing and like with vault she can do the twisting in the air but the landings need work and control. Coaches have said that shouldn't take long to get (crossing fingers they are right)

her beam they want her to do some type of leap series as her leaps are outstanding and they know she can do them - again I don't know what they are called. She is also woring on the back handspring back walkover to get that to look better - she tends to twist her hip to the right as she goes over how she lans on the baem with that twisting motion I don't know. She is also working on a dismount that has a strange looking cartwheel type thing that goes into what looks like a round off with some type of dismount where she is facing backwards going off the beam right now she is just jumping as far as she can backwards off the beam and landing on her feet but she is supposed to do some type of flip or layout thing. DD told me the names of these but I just can't remember them.

As far as bonus moves I think our gym refers to them as that because they are L9 moves that L8 can have in their routines - I know my dd has somting on bars like this they want her to do as it is her strongest event. I don't think they actually get extra points at meets for them though. But I don't know the names of them - I go with "that twisty turn you do right after that swinging thing."

I love this post. Seriously. This is what everyone who doesn't follow the sport itself super closely thinks, and really, unless we're the gymnast or the coach, what more do we need??

Sounds like your DD is doing very well! Good luck to her in her training!

Megley, is you dd training any other vaults? Maybe the tsuk ( suke to cher) is a better choice for more power coming into the block. The yurchenko seems to be more of a finesse vault- not as much power going in, more precise form. Lots of girls at our gym have to work the hand placement on the yurchenko for a long time to get enough ooompf to complete the tuck. Cher, the twisty thing ( RO full, or 1/2 on full off) was dd's "fallback" vault for level 8 and it worked well.

There is no bonus on 8 and you can actually forfeit points by doing unallowed C skills. But there are a few c skills allowed. Maybe your gym is just referrring to some particular Bs that other gymnasts there usually don't do, or maybe you're throwing in a couple extra Bs, just in case, to make sure you get credit for at least 4 that you need. It's all so much fun for the kids. They just seem to love getting that new skill.

How exciting, Cher! Sounds like things are really going well--so glad the new additions to the gym are positive ones too (so often new people come in and just cause drama!). Good luck to your daughter on her new skills--can't wait to see her competing them next year!

thanks all. Cathi I can't wait to see what she does for next year either. Right not I'm just hoping she gets the skills she needs to do L8 instead of repeating L7. All I know is my toes and fingers are cramping up with all of them crossed for luck LOL. So far the addition of the new girls seems to have gone very smoothly.

Megley, is you dd training any other vaults? Maybe the tsuk ( suke to cher) is a better choice for more power coming into the block. The yurchenko seems to be more of a finesse vault- not as much power going in, more precise form. Lots of girls at our gym have to work the hand placement on the yurchenko for a long time to get enough ooompf to complete the tuck. Cher, the twisty thing ( RO full, or 1/2 on full off) was dd's "fallback" vault for level 8 and it worked well.

No, she is training only the yurchenko right now. She is not a strong fhs vaulter so I think the coaches believe the yurchenko is a better vault for her. Right now she is only doing timers over the table but I can tell it is going to be a long process learning the vault. Perhaps she can do the ro full as a backup. I'm hoping so since it is looking like she will have all her other L8 skills.

No, she is training only the yurchenko right now. She is not a strong fhs vaulter so I think the coaches believe the yurchenko is a better vault for her. Right now she is only doing timers over the table but I can tell it is going to be a long process learning the vault. Perhaps she can do the ro full as a backup. I'm hoping so since it is looking like she will have all her other L8 skills.

Megley,
You know the struggles my Dd had with that darn yurchenko last year. I hope your Gym will allow your Dd to do another vault instead of having her repeat L7. Our Gym wouldn't let Morgan do that so she did a 2nd yr at L7. (even though she had all of her 8 skills on the other 3 events)
I will say that I have seen a huge improvement in her yurchenko from last year (she is about to start flipping them into the pit) so I guess that year really did help. Idk, I hate that vault. LOL! Anyway, I just wanted to say Good Luck to her and and I am sure it will all come together for her :)

Megley,
You know the struggles my Dd had with that darn yurchenko last year. I hope your Gym will allow your Dd to do another vault instead of having her repeat L7. Our Gym wouldn't let Morgan do that so she did a 2nd yr at L7. (even though she had all of her 8 skills on the other 3 events)
I will say that I have seen a huge improvement in her yurchenko from last year (she is about to start flipping them into the pit) so I guess that year really did help. Idk, I hate that vault. LOL! Anyway, I just wanted to say Good Luck to her and and I am sure it will all come together for her :)

Thanks Tracy! I have a feeling that she will have to repeat 7 if she doesn't get the vault. She knows this and seems to be okay with it. I should add that she's young and small, which I am sure is not aiding things. Glad to hear that it is finally coming together for Morgan. We have a girl on our team who was in the same situation last year and repeated Level 7. She is now finally making progress with the yurchenko so I think it just takes a long time to get.

Thanks Megley, Lord knows its been a struggle. LOL!! She grew about 3 inches since last year (I know not a huge spurt) and I really think that has made a big difference.

The thing with that vault is that it is so different then the handspring vault that they've been doing for 3 years, it takes some time to adjust to doing it.

Aww Cher, thats great. So glad she is moving up and learning new skills. Hope she is able to compete L8 this year..if not Im sure she will rock L7. And how exciting that they now have enough girls to make a "team".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back