Off Topic Online Schooling?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lizzy Brennan

Coach
Gymnast
Hi! What are your thoughts about online schooling? I'll tell you a little about myself first, I'm a 15 year old sophomore and an xcel platinum gymnast. Doing online school would not change my gym hours or effect my gymnastics at all.
I am mainly interested in doing this because of the anxiety and stress that normal school causes me. I hardly have friends, and am extremely socially awkward. I am (not trying to brag in any way) pretty smart. I am in all honors classes and have good grades (A - B- range), but I find myself getting bored and easily distracted in all of my classes but Algebra II. I have never been formally diagnosed with ADHD, but I'm about 90% I've got it. Focusing in class is a major struggle for me because I get bored, and I feel that an online curriculum would be able to fit my strengths and weaknesses.
I'm about to sound like every teenager that has ever gone through high school, but my teachers are bad. For example: A couple of days ago while I was in Algebra II, I was half-paying attention to what the teacher was saying, half-trying to write down what we were going to be quizzing on over the next few days. Well, I like to use different colors, so I was switching pens while I was writing, but the teacher must not have liked that. So, in the middle of the lesson he stops, looks at me, and says "I hope you're a good multi-tasker" he said something like this three more times as I turned stark white out of embarrassment. I tried to mutter an apology, but he wasn't going to have it. So, after calling me out in the middle of the class and embarrassing me to the point of tears, he finally continued on as I tried to hold it together.
This is a pretty common experience for me, and not just in this classroom. Biology, English, and Algebra II are all the same.
So, this is really not a gymnastsics related post, but I just want to hear your opinions on what I should do. I have never brought this up with my parents, I'm afraid of what they would say. Any comments are appreciated!

I would talk to your parents. What you have described about yourself sounds a lot like my daughter, except she is 13 and an 8th grader. When she expressed to me her desire to be homeschooled a few months ago I was taken by surprise.

I have been considering it seriously though. I have also considered getting her into a different school district for next year- it may be just the school, and switching her to an independent study program through a school district. My daughter is a 105 (yup) average student and doesn't have any academic problems, but like you doesn't have many friends or fit in well with her peers. She says they are all inappropriate and not very nice to one other. No one picks on her or bullies her, but she doesn't like the way they behave.

Unfortunately there is no way to proceed without your parents being on board, so you really need to talk to them. Be prepared to answer lots of questions and be open to other suggestions they may have.

I hope when you go to them they listen with an open mind, and you are able to find a school solution that makes you happier. Best of luck!

I have tutored several students through an online school program (currently working with 2).

If you and your parents decide to go this route, you need to do your research and get into the RIGHT one.

Personally, I prefer schools that look for MASTERY of topics rather than having you do workbooks and a lot of unnecessary PAPER work that you have to submit and wait for a teacher to grade. My reason for the Mastery preference is that it is pointless to "learn" what you already know. If you can demonstrate mastery of a topic, it is time to move on. It is not like the teacher has to teach to the "lowest common denominator" as they do in classrooms. Your education can be more individualized.

In addition to your schooling though, you would need to do outside activities for the interpersonal skills and interactions... gym is one of them... maybe find something else you are interested in doing that can be done once a week during the day.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Online schooling is not the answer to social issues. It is very isolating as it's just you and your computer. You also have to be very organized and commit to getting the work done on a schedule. My DD learned the hard way that's its really easy to run out of time to get work done and has had to spend long nights frantically trying to get assignments and tests done. She's extremely organized and conscientious about her schoolwork and still found it hard to stay on track. It's also expensive. Your parents may have to pay for the classes. Some school districts may pay for it but the majority that I know about do not.

Most importantly, you have to be able to pick up information by yourself. There are different kinds of programs, some that have online classes that are basically webinars but many do not . My DD's program which is run through a state organization that her high school belongs to, is essentially an online textbook with assignments and tests. She has teachers to consult with but she's responsible for going through the material and doing the assignments. We've found that that's not the best learning method for her for at least some subjects. So now I'm teaching her those subjects using the materials. She's a great student at her high school so we never anticipated that she'd have this problem.

Maybe before committing to this completely, try taking a class over the summer and see how you like it and whether it meets your needs.

Online schooling is not the answer to social issues. It is very isolating as it's just you and your computer. You also have to be very organized and commit to getting the work done on a schedule. My DD learned the hard way that's its really easy to run out of time to get work done and has had to spend long nights frantically trying to get assignments and tests done. She's extremely organized and conscientious about her schoolwork and still found it hard to stay on track. It's also expensive. Your parents may have to pay for the classes. Some school districts may pay for it but the majority that I know about do not.

Most importantly, you have to be able to pick up information by yourself. There are different kinds of programs, some that have online classes that are basically webinars but many do not . My DD's program which is run through a state organization that her high school belongs to, is essentially an online textbook with assignments and tests. She has teachers to consult with but she's responsible for going through the material and doing the assignments. We've found that that's not the best learning method for her for at least some subjects. So now I'm teaching her those subjects using the materials. She's a great student at her high school so we never anticipated that she'd have this problem.

Maybe before committing to this completely, try taking a class over the summer and see how you like it and whether it meets your needs.

There are free, online PUBLIC schools. My students are each provided with a laptop computer, a printer (if needed), and an iPhone 4 to use as a wi-fi hotspot when out and about. For full-time students in the program (not using it to supplement their "regular school" or to make up credits while attending their school), it is free. They can take up to 6 classes at a time, but can take as few as 4 at a time (until they are close enough to graduating that 1 is all that's needed). One of my students is taking 6 classes and the other is taking 4.
It also sounds like your daughter wasn't doing a Mastery-based program... if you can pass the test because you know the information or concepts, doing time-wasting assignments is pointless.
There are online schools where everything is self-paced. They tell you how much you have to do a week to complete the class in a semester, but it is up to you whether you follow the schedule or not. I prefer to create my own schedule for my students.
One of my current students, a 10th grader, has been enrolled for 90 school days (the equivalent of 1 semester). In that time, he has COMPLETELY finished: 3 semesters of science, 2 semesters of English, 1 semester of Financial Literacy, 1 semester of history, 2 semesters of math, 1 semester of French, and 1 semester of Job & Life Skills. In addition to that, he has 1 assignment left in 2nd semester French (his Final Exam), 1 project left in 1st semester of Geometry, and 5 history assignments. When he completes these 7 assignments (which should be complete by the end of the weekend), he will have 7 credits... in a little over a semester.

Where are you located because not all states/districts do that! Believe I'd love that because I'm paying good money for my DD's classes.

I know there are free, public, options in: Pennsylvania, New York, Texas, and California. Those states are from personal experience.

and North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Maine, Tennessee, Illinois, Indiana, New Mexico, Mississippi, and Florida. These are the ones I found.

My DD does full-time homeschooling and it has been amazing for her. She went to a highly regarded private school and I feel that the education she is getting now is far superior. She has several online classes -- with teachers -- that meet in a virtual classroom, generally once or twice a week much like college classes. They have homework assignments, class reading to do, tests, deadlines, etc. just like a traditional school. The teachers have office hours as well as respond by email very quickly. The class interactions are good and the student-teacher ratio is low (sometimes 2:1 up to about 12:1). All of the teachers she's had thus far have been excellent.

Her math, language arts and science classes are mastery based and she's just finished the math curriculum for one grade ahead, so she'll start the next grade level next week. She's become quite proficient at managing her own time, is able to independently interact with her teachers to seek guidance and is able to deep dive into topics and subjects that interest her, like foreign language. For language in particular, she can move at a much faster pace doing the classes online because the teacher only has 5 students and they are all at an equal level in their language skills.

Our decision to homeschool had nothing to do with gymnastics, but it most definitely has been positive on that front as well. A lot more flexibility in schedule and she can get an ample amount of rest, which I feel is really important. At this point, neither of us can imagine her ever going back to a traditional school setting. I have done a lot of research on virtual high schools and I have a short list of schools to keep my eye and consider more closely as she gets closer to HS age. I do pay for her classes, but I was paying private school tuition before so this is comparable to that. Overall, we're both very happy with this option. I think for the right student, it is a really great choice.

I agree with the others -- talk to your parents. Do some research first and educate yourself about the options available to you so you go into the conversation with some knowledge. Good luck!

Check out the Teenage Liberation Handbook.

There is nothing wrong with you. The story about the teacher shaming you in front of the class is dreadful and abusive. And unfortunately can be pretty typical. Definitely talk to your parents.

Thank you all so much, this has been gnawing at me for a while now. It's nice to be able to say something to people who will listen, and who have different views. I liked the idea of testing a class over the summer, I will look into that!

Look at Connections International Academy and the Connections-based online public schools because they are used to working with future NCAA D1 or D2 athletes. Some of the K12 schools lost NCAA acceptability recently because they were flexible with scheduling. I don't agree with that ... I don't see why it matters whether you do a course in 180 days or 210. But it is what it is.

Look at Connections International Academy and the Connections-based online public schools because they are used to working with future NCAA D1 or D2 athletes. Some of the K12 schools lost NCAA acceptability recently because they were flexible with scheduling. I don't agree with that ... I don't see why it matters whether you do a course in 180 days or 210. But it is what it is.
I agree with you... especially since "my" students do "self-paced" but only 1 has ever taken even 180 days to finish a year class. My one student finished a year of French in 91 days (not as cool as finishing a year of Algebra 1 in 3 weeks, but French is harder, lol) :) but would not have NCAA Eligibility with it... good thing he isn't planning on college athletics.

Thank you emorymom, but I do not have a future in college athletics. I do like that it sounds like Connections allows for you to take as long/short of time to finish a course as you need. That is what I am looking for.

Thank you emorymom, but I do not have a future in college athletics. I do like that it sounds like Connections allows for you to take as long/short of time to finish a course as you need. That is what I am looking for.
I do not think Connections allows you to finish courses flexibly. That is why they are accepted by the NCAA and some K12 programs are not. Look up K12. As far as your future, a lot of gymnasts find that they want to do track/field or something else in college and do quite well even if they are not D1 or D2 material in gym.

I looked into Connections quite a bit today and it looks like something that would be able to suit my needs, but I am also going to do a lot of research on some of my other public school options, such as K12. Thank you for all of your input! As for athletics, I tried track last year, but decided that softball is more of my thing, even though I'm not that good at it lol. But, as you pointed out, you never know! Maybe after my year off from it, I got really good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back