MAG outside workouts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, my son is a 9 yo, just finished level 5, training 6/7 right now. HE works out 5 days a week for 2 1/2 hours a day, unless I can get him to take a day off. Then he comes home, and conditions. Pushups, pullups, circles, splits, handstands, planches, etc. I am wondering when it is too much. We don't encourage, push or ask. He just does it. Should we just allow it as long as it is his idea?

you should encourage the hell out of that. It sounds like you have an incredibly internally motivated child. That is a real gift he will carry with him to all other aspects of his life.

As for then it becomes too much training. When he starts to not recover properly. he may start to get a lot of overuse injuries or burnout and his strength, flexibility and endurance may actually start to decrease. If you are interested do some research about fitness, how to avoid over training, ect. Then teach him about it and let him know what signs he needs to look for in himself to see if he is over training.

Kids recover much faster than adults do, this is why you see them running around constantly with endless energy. While the amount of training he is doing is hard, especially for a 9 year old, you should be encouraging him to go to every lesson. Not convincing him to "take a day off."

If you are really worried about him over training or something take him to a sports doctor (not a general probationer) and explain the situation and find out what he thinks. Once again i must say: You are extremely lucky to have such a motivated kid, and even more importantly he will be lucky if he has an equally motivated and supportive mum.

THanks for the positive encouragement. I tend to worry for nothing :) Usually "taking a day off" means that something else is going on, so he has to miss. That is like, once a month or less. Even then, he usually goes to practice and leaves early. I do love that he is so internally motivated. He really just loves gymnastics!!

Thanks for your input guys! I had just been concerned that he was doing too much. I think he would stay in the gym all the time. i just don't want him to burn himself out. So, I'll keep encouraging him in what he wants to do. I always wonder where he gets his drive!! Some days, he seems unstoppable ;)

Encourage it! support it, and remind him that he needs rest also, because that is when the body gets stronger after training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back