Parents Oy Safe Sport for my 17 yr old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not disagreeing that it's time consuming and whatnot. But as someone who has to do the safesport cert as our gym's meet director, I disagree it's useless. There is a lot in the course about how to report, what to report, and it discusses situations where things might be grey initially but how those should be handled as well. As an ADULT in the gym, she is now responsible for her actions in a completely different way, and the gym owner has a WHOLE NEW set of liabilities when it comes to your daughter's actions. Yes, it stinks that liability is part of this, but I understand it from a business owner perspective. Since Nassar, insurance companies dropped gymnastics gyms like hot potatoes and I'm sure this is one way to keep them on board.

Regardless of whether you think it's useful, as someone who's taken the course it's good to be reminded of the avenues for reporting. And even if your daughter isn't coaching or employed, she's in contact with minors and she herself is no longer a minor.

I have to do the annual safe sport training as well for coaching other sports and I would agree that the material needs to be streamlined and focused. I think when it comes to things like this less is more. When you get to hour two you are just drowning out the message and trying to get through the training where in the first 20 - 30 minutes maybe you were paying attention and learning something.

I have always found it interesting that the arbitrary age for adulthood is the day they turn 18.

At 17 years and 364 days, they are a child. They have to comply with parents instructions, are tried as a juvenile, can’t vote, drink, gamble etc. The next day they turn 18 and are an adult. With so much freedom and responsibility.

I know society does this, because really they do need a way to do this and they do need to identify a point in time when a child should have the rights and responsibilities of an adult. But it’s quite abrupt!
Age stuff in general drives me mad. My son is now 20 years old and serving in the military and living completely independently from us thousands of miles away. He will be home for a short leave soon and understandably wants to go out and meet girls and have a little fun, but he cannot go to a bar or dance club, or rather he can go to the one night at the one club within 50 miles that has an under 21 night. It's ridiculous. I think the marker for EVERYTHING should be 20. Once you are 20, you can do everything- drink, join military, criminally charged as an adult, vote. I would make exception of younger age for working a regular job and thus for driving. Otherwise, 20.

My sister was living in her own at 15. Attending school and getting straight A’s, working to support herself, caring for herself very well and maturely, eating well etc.

Others aren’t ready for that at 25.

Perhaps there is another way to determine adulthood!

I'm not disagreeing that it's time consuming and whatnot. But as someone who has to do the safesport cert as our gym's meet director, I disagree it's useless. There is a lot in the course about how to report, what to report, and it discusses situations where things might be grey initially but how those should be handled as well. As an ADULT in the gym, she is now responsible for her actions in a completely different way, and the gym owner has a WHOLE NEW set of liabilities when it comes to your daughter's actions. Yes, it stinks that liability is part of this, but I understand it from a business owner perspective. Since Nassar, insurance companies dropped gymnastics gyms like hot potatoes and I'm sure this is one way to keep them on board.

Regardless of whether you think it's useful, as someone who's taken the course it's good to be reminded of the avenues for reporting. And even if your daughter isn't coaching or employed, she's in contact with minors and she herself is no longer a minor.
A gymnast who attends a gym is not a mandated reporter. Her “responsibilities” will not change. Again, she is not coaching, teaching, leading anything. She is going to practice, that’s all. Her responsibilities will not change at all.

This is where you're wrong. LEGALLY, as an adult, she would be seen as both having power and influence over younger members of the gym.
Keeping my particular child out of it. Please site specifics. A gymnast just attending practice (not coaching or employeed in any capacity). How does a gymnast just attending practice, nothing more. What new magic powers do these gymnasts get bestowed on them when they turn 18.

A gymnast who attends a gym is not a mandated reporter. Her “responsibilities” will not change. Again, she is not coaching, teaching, leading anything. She is going to practice, that’s all. Her responsibilities will not change at all.

Keeping my particular child out of it. Please site specifics. A gymnast just attending practice (not coaching or employeed in any capacity). How does a gymnast just attending practice, nothing more. What new magic powers do these gymnasts get bestowed on them when they turn 18.
If one of her minor teammates tells her about a(n) SA after her 18th birthday, she is considered an ‘Outcry’ witness and is legally obligated to report the assault/abuse under US law. This obligation is not limited to her gymnastics teammates.

I am a mom of a 17 year old gymnast who will turn 18 during the competition season. She then becomes any regular adult who has adult responsibilities. Yes, it's an arbitrary line. But it's a LEGAL one. As a LEGAL ADULT, if she lets say, starts dating a teammate who is under 18, that carries potential ramifications that it wouldn't if she were still 17. The "magic powers" are becoming a legal adult. I don't get to decide that she isn't an adult just because she's going to practice. She's going to practice AS A LEGAL ADULT. As a legal adult, she has legal adult things she has to do, like take safesport classes, register to vote, take legal responsibility for her actions where before parents can be legally responsible for her actions.

That's the thing I think you're missing. It doesn't matter if she's going to practice. My daughter will have legal responsibilities for her actions and their effects on others where before - legally - I was the responsible party.

There are a lot of things “adults”have to do that “kids” don’t. They don’t necessarily require “certification”.

My point was this does absolutely nothing to make the sport safer.

That there are coaches at questionable gyms doing the training for the kids.

I could of done it for my kid I guess, who would of known.

Mine did it. Sacrificed a day of her vacation. So it’s done. No one is any more safe because of it. But it’s done.

And yes there is a lot of time wasting things I have to do as an adult, a healthcare worker, a freaking parent, 304 days until I’m done with public school nonsense. I do them because I’m a responsible adult. It doesn’tmake them valuable or worthwhile.

And as a side. If we knew (us parents or her) of any abuse even back when she was 7, 8, 9 and so on, we would have reported it. Without a certificate.

How can you possibly have a problem with your daughter being trained on how to spot and handle cases of suspected abuse? Awareness helps keep children safe. Every adult should absolutely be trained on this stuff, it helps deter abusers knowing that there are knowledgeable people around, and it can help kids feel more comfortable telling someone if they know everyone is looking out for them.

Well you know we now live in a society that regularly thumbs its noses at traditional norms and rules and experts because "we just know better" or "heard from a reliable source".

Everyone agrees its a PITA, but to factually claim that it doesn't make the sport safer is a bit silly and kind of insensitive and ignorant.

How can you possibly have a problem with your daughter being trained on how to spot and handle cases of suspected abuse? Awareness helps keep children safe. Every adult should absolutely be trained on this stuff, it helps deter abusers knowing that there are knowledgeable people around, and it can help kids feel more comfortable telling someone if they know everyone is looking out for them.
Again, she already knows how to spot abuse and how to tell. She doesn’t have to “handle” cases. She is not employed by the gym.

Everyone agrees it’s a PITA, but to factually claim that it doesn't make the sport safer is a bit silly and kind of insensitive and ignorant.
It doesn’t make the sport safer. I’ll be sure to bring up the issue on every thread I come across on abusive coaches and mean girls. Of which there are many here.

Again, there are coaches doing it for the gymnasts.

It doesn’t make the sport safer.

Again, there are coaches doing it for the gymnasts.
And until we stop complaining about ‘failed’ efforts and start offering suggestions for improvement, it never will be, but for now, this is what we got….And it is a SafeSport violation for anyone to complete the training for someone else, please report so we can make the sport safer.

And until we stop complaining about ‘failed’ efforts and start offering suggestions for improvement, it never will be, but for now, this is what we got….And it is a SafeSport violation for anyone to complete the training for someone else, please report so we can make the sport safer.
Already done. Not that I’m optimistic about it being addressed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back