WAG Pain on bars(not hands)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a level 3 AAU gymnast that complains of pain in her abdominal area when doing her back hip circle/pullover. She had an appendectomy in November. Is the pain from this? She's only 8 so isn't very good at explaining these things yet! I have an older gymnast who mentioned pain every once in awhile on bars but not every single time. She comes home to Advil and the heating pad after every single practice! Any suggestions?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Probably. The muscles slightly above her pelvis to mid way between her hips and ribs do most of the work that keeps her body straight and spinning around the bar for the circle, as well as lifting her legs up on the pull-over. If you're sure she's been given the ok for that kind of stress, and have confirmed that with an "Are you sure", you're probably doing things right. But then again, you never no something is wrong until it get's worse. Send off an email to the surgeon, and her pediatrician with the details, and follow it up with a phone call the next day if you don't get a same day response.

I definitely don't know about pain while doing a skill, but if she is having pain in a specific spot after 4 months, I would let the mother know and have her get checked out. It could be something as simple as scar tissue, or since they have to cut through muscle, a hernia As a mom, I would want to know for sure before sending my dd back.

Thank you for the replies! I will be making an appointment with her surgeon on Monday morning. He told us to let her set the pace on returning to regular activities but I'm thinking she now went back too fast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back