Parents Parent volunteer at competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We host at least 3 meets a year. We use to have a volunteer sign up but had drama with parents and kids. So now there are no volunteers. Scoring is all digital now, so there are no runners or score displayers. Just timers. The same person works the door all sessions, and the same person works concession, the same person does score sheets etc. etc. it makes for a very long exhausting weekend but it runs like a well oiled machine with everyone knowing exactly what needs to be done where and when.

Wow, that does sound exhausting for those working. How do you rope people into that?

Another parent and I are in charge of concessions, which means we definitely work more than people that aren't in charge of something, but we could never do it alone. We usually have 4-6 people manning concessions, depending on the size of the meet. Plus we are in charge of the coaches food.

But I would like you to stop, it is not really good internet form to use caps as it is perceived as aggression. You do know we have rules about grammar, punctuation etc.

This applies everyone not just you. Please avoid colours, odd fonts, changing the sizes of the font. It makes it hard to read. Plus when we change the system we run on, old threads can be rendered unreadable because the code that creates the changes becomes visible and is then part of the post.
WHAT WHAT?!?!?!?!? ;)I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for actually reading this.... :)

We have two meets that we host. One is small and one is the largest invitational meet in canada

We are required to volunteer 83 hours a season. Those have to be split up by...
10 hours min at the small meet
25 hours min at the large meet
And the rest on other volunteer jobs

Our kids over the age of 10 can volunteer to time on vault, beam Etc

I have done 150 hours plus i did another 27 hours for another family who was short hours.

I think i did 24 at the small meet and 40 at the large meet. My dd also timed for 6 hours.

If we do not meet our volunteer requirements then it costs us $40 an hour.
Holy cannoli! 83 hours??

At my YDD's gym, parents were asked to volunteer for our home meet and were given a part of the profits if they did, in addition to free admission. For states, even though we didn't host, parents were asked to volunteer and were given free admission, parking, and a snack. Many parents still didn't wish to volunteer.

Our families are expected to volunteer approximately 15-20 hours for our big (2 day, 15 session) meet, plus helping with setup and/or tear down. Out boosters put on the meet and our families are direct beneficiaries of the profits from them meet. The boosters contribute to meet fees, throw parties for the girls and provide equipment for the gym.

There will always be families who do not do their part, but for the most part, everyone steps up.

But, as I said before, this could describe a number of families I know. And the only people that can "easily" identify me and my gym are those to whom I have revealed myself in private messages or am friends with on a more personal level.

Nope, you've pretty much flat out put it out there. I don't believe we've personally spoken, but I figured it out a long time ago (but, you put your town and had talked many times about the YMCA so it wasn't that hard).

gymdog said:
Nope, you've pretty much flat out put it out there. I don't believe we've personally spoken, but I figured it out a long time ago (but, you put your town and had talked many times about the YMCA so it wasn't that hard).
There are several ymcas in the area. There is no YMCA in my town. If someone has me figured out, I really would like a pm.

There are several ymcas in the area. There is no YMCA in my town. If someone has me figured out, I really would like a pm.
On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if we all really knew who each other were?

On the other hand, wouldn't it be nice if we all really knew who each other were?
Lol. I want to see if those who claim to have me figured out really do. Plus, although I don't have amnesia, I am dealing with concussion #20 & am having slight memory and focus issues. YG tried to teach me this little hand game today, & I couldn't follow it at all.

So, open invitation to those that have figured me out just from what I have publicly posted... please private message me.

While I have not taken the time to see if the ymca state meet in your state posts their scores online, you have posted placements which could make it easy to figure out your gymnasts. It matters little if a random person across the country figures it out. But, there are lots of lurkers here and how sad would it be if a member of your gym figured it out? Your situation is relatively unique (your gym mies aren't your kids) and you gave posted descriptions of your gym, hours, etc. Gymnastics is a small world.

I try to remain fairly anonymous, but know if someone really wanted to, I have probably posted enough about my DD and our gym that it could be figured out - especially for someone local to me. Therefore, I would be hesitant to post specifics about someone else's child's situation. I would be unhappy to find out that a coach posted negatively about a family from our gym.

I would caution you. There is no such thing as a whisper on the internet. Posting in a tiny font does not lend secrecy to a post.

If someone local were to figure you out ad tell this parent, it could cost you your job and your gymmies their gym.

I know it's crazy. But we do it for our kids.
I get it -- I put in a TON of hours, but that # of hours as a baseline value is crazy high. And 83 is such a random number! I'm sure there is a good backstory as to how that became the number, but it is a very high ask for all families.

It was awhile ago but you gave your county or something and from there it was very easy because it was pretty much the only Y in whatever geographic designation you gave, plus you had a picture in your avatar for a long time of the girls in powder blue leotards which matched the leotards of the only Y in whatever info you gave. So that pretty much confirmed my suspicions.

I have no idea how they came up with these hours (83) . This year it has dropped to 78 hours. Another very odd number...
All I know is its a lot...
If we don't put our hours in it costs us $40.00 per hour...
Double Yikes

I get it -- I put in a TON of hours, but that # of hours as a baseline value is crazy high. And 83 is such a random number! I'm sure there is a good backstory as to how that became the number, but it is a very high ask for all families.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back