Parents Parenting an Average Athlete Article

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym monkeys mom

Proud Parent
Below is an article that spoke volumes to me a few years back. It was in Parenting and Athlete newsletter that Tom Burgdorff puts out. I think it speaks volumes about the pressures and perceptions are kids are under as athletes.

Teams will always be comprised of athletes who are different.
Teams will always have “stars”, “athletes with a little less of everything” and “athletes with even less of everything.” That is the way it has been, is now and will be in the future. The kids had better learn about it and get used to it.
They are going to be faced with the same situation in EVERY aspect of their life where there is a group. Middle school, high school, college, sports, business, relationships, everything. We can’t all be stars in everything we do. To learn that you are talented in some things and that others are more talented in other areas is a huge life lesson.

Another life lesson is to not avoid the areas that you are not a “super star” in. I see too many situations where an athlete is pulled out when they show average ability rather than “star” ability. I also see many people with the attitude that if their child isn’t a star then it is a negative situation. I don’t believe that

I think we are building a well rounded young adult who should work hard in areas that may not be their “star” areas. I also think that these kids are being cheated when they aren’t being told that maybe others are better than they are. There is nothing wrong with that. These kids are resilient and they can take the truth. We don’t build confidence in ourselves by having to be the “star” in everything we do.
A
team is great because of a lot of people, not just the “stars.”
And if the kids are going to give up because things aren’t “easy” for them, wow.

One of the reasons this was very relevant to me this week is that I am a parent of an average athlete, but I am also the coach of many average athletes and some stars, too.

Parenting my average athlete can be complicated. She is very comfortable with me watching her competitions because she knows that I am not a bit concerned with how she finishes in comparison with the others, but that I am more proud of her for reaching her own personal goals one at a time. I have invested a lot of time trying to teach her about her strengths and how those things help her team.
However, my daughter does not want her Dad, Grandparents, or other close friends and family to come to her competitions. For the past few months I have really been trying to get to the bottom of her reasoning on this

Last night on the way home from the competition it finally came out. She does not want them to watch her because she is afraid that they will figure out that she is not the “star”. WOW! Talk about being hard on yourself. I then had to explain that her relatives don’t judge her based on her placement at a competition, rather they want to see her perform and celebrate her hard work. I’m not sure where she ever got that thought, but it is one I want to set straight now.
When it comes to the girls I coach, I do my best to treat them all with respect and fairness. I also go out of my way to help them discover their strengths and weaknesses. Through this discovery they learn that they have strengths to contribute to the team and that working on their weaknesses can be very rewarding.]

My idea of competitions of any kind is that it helps the competitor figure out what he/she needs to do to find sucess. Noone, no mater what, can win 'it' all. In times of losses is when I truly feel the competitor learns the most. Appreciation of the fact that there will ALWAYS be someone better is had in times of losses/failures. And then the winning actually occurs.
Last weekend, my DS had a wrestling tournament. After two losses, he broke down and said, " I stink!" This was after two weekends of first place finishes. I looked at him last weekend and said, "Did you try your best? What did you learn?" It took him a bit to answer what he learned, but in doing so he calmed down and started to talk about next weeks tournament.
Kids are resilient. Teaching them to value everytime they go out there win or lose is so important. Competitions instill that hard work, determination, belief in oneself, and values are integral parts of one's life win or lose and it all helps to strengthen our character.
When I watch any of my kids 'do their thing', it is never with a thought of they better win or else. Actually, I pray that they do their best and if it is meant to be that they win than so be it. It isn't my call; but the 'higher being'(sorry Bog) and my child's own determination, etc. I love to watch them and find joy in knowing they had the courage to go out there. DD is so young, yet she isn't terrified of being in front of a crowd. DS is tiny for his age. Most of his competitors have him by a heads length and 5-10 lbs. Older DD was always very shy, yet she forgave that part of her and went out there! All three of my kids are winners just for going out there!! Average to star aren't words in my vocabulary of thought when I think of my children. They are just my kids and in my eyes at least, they are 'the greatest!'

If I am not mistaken Tom Burgdorf does Amerikids gymnastics meets here in the st louis area. Alex has competed in some of the Amerikids meets when she was in L3 and L4. He always talked about not stressing out about placements and being your gymnasts best cheerleader. Very well run (non-sanctioned) meets.

Great article!! Thanks for posting this. Not everyone is going to be the star and I think more lessons can be learned from meeting personal goals rather than being the one who wins all the time. One of my DD's coaches told me she has seen many gymmies who excel in compulsories give up when they start struggling with the harder skills-afraid that they won't be "stars" anymore.

If I am not mistaken Tom Burgdorf does Amerikids gymnastics meets here in the st louis area. Alex has competed in some of the Amerikids meets when she was in L3 and L4. He always talked about not stressing out about placements and being your gymnasts best cheerleader. Very well run (non-sanctioned) meets.

He is the one that runs Amerikids it seems to be agreat organization aimed at keeping kids sports in check. i have read many a great thing on his web site.

Thanks for reminding me about him.

Reminds me of a soccer team dd was on- too many stars, not enough supporting players. They could not get out of their own way. They did not win the division.

My older dd (non-gymnast) came home from a chess tournament in which she came in second-to-last. She told me, "I always value the games in which I lose because those are the ones from which I learn something."

I love it when my kids teach me things.

LOVE THIS! The first paragraph especially, I have always told my daughter that everyone will be different in this sport, some will go far fast, others will take their time, it's about her own journey! Her friends at gym in same age range from L4 on up to L8. No matter where they stand on the podium at what level, they are still friends!

I always tell people that I don't care if DD is the best, as long as she does HER best! :) I am not a star athlete, but I can be athletic if I push myself. I did a 1/2 marathon in November last year, didn't even train for it, just decided to prove to myself that I could do it. Finished second to last, but still finished, and got a medal for FINISHING. That's what I want my DD to do, as an average athlete, to simply "finish" and not worry about what place it is. Even if you finish last, you are keeping someone else from feeling bad for finishing last, so there is some sense of pride in that, I think. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back