Parents Permanent marker on grips...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kaloss

Proud Parent
My dd is training level 4 and the coach told her that she needed to get grips to start getting used to them and breaking them in. Another mom in the gym had ordered a pair for her daughter but they were too small, she couldn't return them because her very excited daughter wrote her name on them with permanent marker. They are still brand new. So...we bought them from her for 1/2 price, with the hopes that we can remove the name. Any suggestions for removing black permanent marker from the wrist straps of buckle grips? Obviously, I don't want to ruin the grips. Any suggestions for how to safely remove the name?

When permanent marker is used on a whiteboard by mistake, to remove it you draw over the permanent marker with whiteboard marker and then it can be rubbed off with an ordinary whiteboard eraser. Only bits that were drawn over can be wiped off so sometimes you have to go over it again.

I imagine whiteboard markers wouldn't contain anything particularly toxic, I'd write on my skin with them, so it might be an interesting experiment to see if any of the writing is removed or lightened by whiteboard marker then wiping it.
The thing is it's probably soaked in to deeper layers.

Yeah, I was thinking it was smooth leather but I got them out of her gym bag and I doubt we'll be able to get it off. It's not suede, but it's not shiny either (I have no clue what to call it). I guess I should try to get creative tomorrow.

You can't "wipe" marker off grip material. You need to keep the grip and material intact for safety. But eventually it will rub off.

DO NOTHING! grips have been tanned with chemicals! just leave the marker on there. :)

I ended up just crossing off the name, I didn't want to risk damaging the integrity of the leather. Either way, my dd is beyond excited to own "real grips!"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back