Parents petitioning out of compulsories?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I went and found the document just so I know I'm not crazy. LOL!

I understand how the levels work then and now. This was the year that old four turned into new three. The judge was of brevet level and her coach was very experienced. No one was confused about the levels or in any way trying game the system, but the rules are not maybe bullet proof clear I would say.

A usag document stated if you were an old 1,2,3 or 4 the coach was to place them in a level that represents their skill competency. Dd competed old four the year prior and was placed in new level 5.

An old level five could do new four or five but could not jump directly to six assuming a 31 at old five.

An old level six could be in new five, six or seven assuming a 31 at old six.

A new six must have an old level 6 or new level 5 score of 31 or higher.

These rules only applied in the transition year as part of the transition plan. Now level 4 is the first level you must score out of.

https://usagym.org/pages/women/events/jocompulsories/pdfs/programchanges.pdf
I just reread it. The placing where appropriate meant into new levels 1-3 or New level 4.
It is the chart that shows where to place based on where they were.
Old Level 5 is clearly stated as the same as new L4... And from old L5, they could either compete New L4 (repeat) or New L5 (move up if mobility score was earned).
Therefore, the judge either misinterpreted or went based on what she saw during the practice.

I will tell her you said so. She loves her gymnastics. Yesterday she was invited to a local Amusement park but would not go till practice was over. Some team members missed, she would not. Not sure how I feel about her decision, as I want her to be a child first and foremost. Anyone else have a stubborn child?

I will tell her you said so. She loves her gymnastics. Yesterday she was invited to a local Amusement park but would not go till practice was over. Some team members missed, she would not. Not sure how I feel about her decision, as I want her to be a child first and foremost. Anyone else have a stubborn child?

DD will skip anything for gymnastics. She'll play "well" if she's sick so she doesn't have to miss it. Maybe that will change if she continues to move up through the levels, but for now she would happily live there.

My DD was playing around one day at home and twisted her ankle. I took her to the doctor the next day and he said it was a very very minor sprain my dd was mad at me for telling her coach.

My DD was playing around one day at home and twisted her ankle. I took her to the doctor the next day and he said it was a very very minor sprain my dd was mad at me for telling her coach.
Oh good grief. I hope this wasnt recently! She has already been through a lot.

Oh good grief. I hope this wasnt recently! She has already been through a lot.
I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Thanks, she's totally fine now. It was mid-summer. We were playing a (I'll be generous to myself and call it silly) game. We have really thick hula hoops (they're not actually hula hoops but you get the idea) we were trying to jump from one to the other. Each time widening the gap between them to see who could jump the furthest. When she landed partially on the hula hoop and twisted her ankle I felt so horrible it was totally my fault (not my proudest moment). After some RICE she said it felt a lot better but she was limping a little so I took her to the doctor. It happened a couple of days before the gym had a summer break (she had no gymnastics for 8 days). I'm pretty sure she was mostly better when she returned after the break. I know I'm overly jumpy these days when it comes to injuries. I'm sure many parents wouldn't have taken their kid to a doctor if they weren't complaining and were able to mostly hide their discomfort.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back