WAG Phone Calls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Is it odd that a child would call a coach and tell them oh Hi I am ( name ) and I'm a 10 year old gymnast interested in your school? HUH? How on earth would they know about what darn school they want to go to? and how much changes in the time they are 10 to age 18! I get that a lot of times it the parents, but man it seems very strange. Of course i want my child to hopefully one day get a college scholarship.. but think that putting the stress of that on girls so young is cray-z.. LOL Maybe its just me? I can barely get my 9 ( almost 10 year old ) to call me on the bus on her way to gym nevertheless having an adult convo with a head coach of a college :)

Is it odd that a child would call a coach and tell them oh Hi I am ( name ) and I'm a 10 year old gymnast interested in your school? HUH? How on earth would they know about what darn school they want to go to? and how much changes in the time they are 10 to age 18! I get that a lot of times it the parents, but man it seems very strange. Of course i want my child to hopefully one day get a college scholarship.. but think that putting the stress of that on girls so young is cray-z.. LOL Maybe its just me? I can barely get my 9 ( almost 10 year old ) to call me on the bus on her way to gym nevertheless having an adult convo with a head coach of a college :)
1. I knew where I was going to college when I was 7. I was only the 2nd person in my family to ever go to college and my older sister was only in 7th grade when I made my decision. In high school, I only filled out 1 college application. I graduated from that college.
2. I don't think people are really thinking about this for a 10 year old… more like 13 -15 year olds.

1. I knew where I was going to college when I was 7. I was only the 2nd person in my family to ever go to college and my older sister was only in 7th grade when I made my decision. In high school, I only filled out 1 college application. I graduated from that college.
2. I don't think people are really thinking about this for a 10 year old… more like 13 -15 year olds.
I’m sure there are some kids that know.. guessing not many. I see frequently parents say ( young daughters even under age 10 ) that say my dd wants to go to certain colleges.. that’s what I’m curious about. Not that it’s right or wrong. Just pure curiosity

I’m sure there are some kids that know.. guessing not many. I see frequently parents say ( young daughters even under age 10 ) that say my dd wants to go to certain colleges.. that’s what I’m curious about. Not that it’s right or wrong. Just pure curiosity
I think that comes form exposure. It probably means the parent has introduced the child to the college in some way. ie attending gymnastics meets etc. Based on that, a 10yo might say they want to go to that college, though it is a very shallow decision.

thanks for the clarification. I know it is not binding but few schools go back on those commitments. BTW the NCAA has plenty of rules they enforce that are questionable seems like this would be a good idea to me.

Is there a stat out there somewhere that shows the number of verbal commitments made at the middle school or younger level that actually wind up getting scholarship and competing?

This is where I get confused. At age, say 12, many kids don't know what they want to do with their lives. So by choosing a school based on gymnastics at a young age I guess they are just hoping the school has a decent program in what they eventually decide to do? I guess most schools that have gymnastics are very large and have good majors in everything? I chose a college based on size, academics, the campus, while I love my daughter may go for gymnastics someday I hate that she will have no say in choosing based on those things. It will be more what college wants her rather than the other way around. I guess that is the sacrifice if you really want to do gymnastics in college.

My daughter has wanted to go to OU ever since she met the head coach and found out that Maggie Nichols went there (her idol). Things could definitely change for her (basically if the head coaching staff at OU changes, she probably wouldn't want to go there anymore) but she's never even visited the campus. She could visit the campus and decide that she doesn't like it or doesn't want to live that far away (we are in MN). She hasn't verbally committed anywhere, nor would we let her until she has at least visited the campus and is at least a freshman in high school (still 3 years away).

My daughter has wanted to go to OU ever since she met the head coach and found out that Maggie Nichols went there (her idol). Things could definitely change for her (basically if the head coaching staff at OU changes, she probably wouldn't want to go there anymore) but she's never even visited the campus. She could visit the campus and decide that she doesn't like it or doesn't want to live that far away (we are in MN). She hasn't verbally committed anywhere, nor would we let her until she has at least visited the campus and is at least a freshman in high school (still 3 years away).
You are wise parents.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back