Platinum Excel question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I read in another thread about a gymnast in excel plantinum competing a FHS vault. It got me wondering what the skills for this level are in your state because I do not see many advanced kids doing FHS, that would be more of an intermediate vault. We compete prep op novice, intermediate, and advance. While our JO track girls may compete out of state, our prep ops do not. I am assuming prep advanced would be the equivalent to excel platinum?

In region 8, gold and platinum typically compete FHS on vt, though technically they can compete any L7 vt.

Here is the link for the rest of Region 8's rules. It has all the levels. Platinum is a cross between 6-7. Diamond would be more inline with your advance level but Region 8 doesn't compete it.

Prep Optional Guidelines | A place for all!

In NC, you don't see many girls stay in platinum long enough to really develop the higher level skills like you would see in your advance level. They either quit after a year or 2 or move to L7.

Here in region 1 we have 5 levels of Xcel, and here are the corresponding vaults -
bronze - flat back on resi(level 4 vault)
silver - flat back over table onto resi behind vault
gold - fhs
platinum - all level 7 vaults allowed
diamond - all level 8 vaults allowed

There are also 5 prep op levels- rookie, novice, intermediate, advanced, and superior. Our club only competes the middle 3 right now, but will hopefully have some superiors after next year. The vaults seemed similar to what wandrews described for excel, but I think maybe the difference is that at the platinum/ advanced year and going forward. We do not use prep op as a track to level 7, so kids are not switching over. Maybe because they are staying in it longer is the reason they tend to compete the more advanced skill choices.

How about other events?

It is my understanding that next Summer USAG is going to make national standards for the Xcel program (used to be prep op), so after this competitive season, it should all be the same everywhere, right?

It is my understanding that next Summer USAG is going to make national standards for the Xcel program (used to be prep op), so after this competitive season, it should all be the same everywhere, right?

Theoretically, yes. But the states and Regions still have the option of whether they will participate in the national program. If a region (like 8) already has a strong program that is working for their states, they may choose to stay with their own rules.

gymcoach: the link I posted previously for region 8 is a chart specific to xcel rules and requirements. Florida has one on their website as well. They are region 8 but they do not follow the region 8 rules.

In my state, advanced prep op uses the level 9 vault chart but most girls still do a fhs or a 1/2 on 1/2 off. If you tsuk and make it to your feet, you are almost garrunteed a top 3 vault finish :).

I went out of state last year and competed excel platinum, I think it was their highest excel leve, which in the state I was in used the level 8 vault chart. mOst girls still did fhs.

Theoretically, yes. But the states and Regions still have the option of whether they will participate in the national program. If a region (like 8) already has a strong program that is working for their states, they may choose to stay with their own rules.

gymcoach: the link I posted previously for region 8 is a chart specific to xcel rules and requirements. Florida has one on their website as well. They are region 8 but they do not follow the region 8 rules.

hmm, I hadn't thought about that....I guess I was just assuming that it would be run like the Jr. Olympic program, in that if you were running a sanctioned meet, you would have to follow the USAG standards. I wonder what Region 8 will do.

hmm, I hadn't thought about that....I guess I was just assuming that it would be run like the Jr. Olympic program, in that if you were running a sanctioned meet, you would have to follow the USAG standards. I wonder what Region 8 will do.

From what I have seen of the proposed national standards, they are pretty much in line with the current Region 8 ones. Though they also have a diamond level. The gold, platinum levels seem to offer more difficulty but don't require it.

proposed changes
http://www.nc-usagymnastics.org/Home/GetPrepAttachment?attachmentID=6

THanks for the info gymgal!
Do you know if there are any proposed eligibility requirements? Specifically, the whole score out of L5 rule for Gold and higher currently used in region 8?

THanks for the info gymgal!
Do you know if there are any proposed eligibility requirements? Specifically, the whole score out of L5 rule for Gold and higher currently used in region 8?

Nothing has been said yet, as far as I know. I will update if I hear anything

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back