WAG Please help me level 2 deductions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok, so my daughter is competing level 2 and has done quite well...but it seems as a whole our team is missing something on floor. Can someone please help me with deductions? I have tried comparing our routines to another gym with high scores, and have hopefully discovered the differences.

1. Our leaps definitely need some help.
What would be the deduction if there was not much amplitude, but split evenly?

2. After the pivot turn on floor, we put our foot down and point..use for balance..then from there plie in 4th and chasse out. Other gyms, keep their foot lifted and put it down as they go into chasse. Is this a deduction?

3. Is there a deduction for rebounding out of the roundoff?

4. Finishing the leap, not holding the arabesque position, is there a deduction?

I think that's it. Many thanks!!

Our whole team was thinking the same thing this weekend at sectionals. The teams before us all got 9.somethings, and then our whole team, even though there were some beautiful routines, all high 8s. I wish I had a video of some of the 9 scoring routines, so I could compare and ask everyone here. I'd show you my daughter, but she's 6 and I saw plenty of other deductions, and know her 8.55 was justified. But I'd love to hear some of the responses to your question.

I agree! I wish I had a copy of some of the routines scoring 9's. Ours was high 8's as well. It just seems like we are missing .3 or.4 somewhere.

DD got 9.25. Unfortunately the angle we videotaped from wasn't very good, so you cannot see the whole routine, but here it is:

Hope it helps.

I can't really help, but they were really tough on scoring for levels 1-3 on floor at our meet. Maybe this has to do with new levels this year.

There are a lot of points to be gained or loss with particular body positions with in the skills. I am unfamiliar with the new routines. I did notice in this routine the had one foot not pointed several times, when it should have been.

It would be hard to guess what it is without comparative videos. Judging from one meet to another, one region/state to another can be very different.

In the routine posted there were a lot of text errors. She did have decent execution of elements and nice presentation. I could break it down specifically but won't unless you ask.

To qualify myself; I learned the routines at the Compulsory Workshops in Reno. I helped teach them to my state and to my gym's coaches. I coach my gym's Level 2 (51 girls) and 3 (36 girls) teams and am a Level 10 judge.

1. Our leaps definitely need some help.
What would be the deduction if there was not much amplitude, but split evenly?

2. After the pivot turn on floor, we put our foot down and point..use for balance..then from there plie in 4th and chasse out. Other gyms, keep their foot lifted and put it down as they go into chasse. Is this a deduction?

3. Is there a deduction for rebounding out of the roundoff?

4. Finishing the leap, not holding the arabesque position, is there a deduction?

I think that's it. Many thanks!!

1. Assuming they are hitting the split requirement of 60 degrees, the amplitude deduction is "up to 0.2".

2. The front foot should contact the floor, per the text after the pivot turns, before the chasse.

3. I am unsure. The text does not say to rebound before the running steps... However, as a coach, this is one of those cases in which I would take the deduction and have my kids do a proper round off with a rebound, prior to the running steps.

4. The text states that they must "pass through" an arabesque after the leap... No hold (or pause) is stated.

Ok, so after reviewing some more info...if after every lunge their arms are required to be diagonally upward, and they are out straight to the sides, would a picky judge deduct? And if so, how much? They are also straight out after the passe turn, and on the pose.

Here is my daughter. She took 3rd on floor with a 8.6 this past saturday's meet. She is capable of getting 9.1's as I've seen it before. But this last meet she wasn't in her game. She's 5 years old. In this floor, she got so many deductions, such as not levering out of her handstand, arm positioning on her backward roll, poor candlestick execution, her backbend walkover execution is very poor (feet not together), her back foot during leap. lol..

She ended up getting 3rd All around, took home 1st on bars and 2nd on beam.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back