WAG Please share Severs success stories

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have coached plenty of kids who had severs and eventually got over it for the most part.

I guess my dd is a success story. Her severs got bad enough two and a half years ago her growth plate cracked. Since then shes had several flare ups and two more MRIs to make sure she hasn't done it again.

This condition has nurtured a great relationship with her orthopedist and her physical therapist. They are two of my favorite people. You're doing everything you can.

We do daily massaging, ice, stretch, strength-train, do P.T. during flares, heel cups on shoes, boot it when it's really bad, brace it at night, we've used K-tape, she's been prescribed anti-inflammatories. I honestly can't believe this is what my life has turned into. I feel like an athletic trainer.

Gratefully, she's at a gym that doesn't make her feel bad for her pain and lets her make adjustments for it. I've heard stories from parents at other gyms in the area that treat their kids as if they are faking the pain, or are required to still work out at 100% with the pain. Her pain is respected and adjustments are made.

But she won't quit, and I guess that's why I call her a success story. Continue to hang in there with your dd I've been reassured that when growth stops so will the pain.

DD has Sever's too. The first couple of months was pretty bad, she modified her workouts (no vault, no running, limited tumbling). Now she is in a "maintenance phase", it hurts but not as bad as before. She does everything, just wears a Cheetah cup the whole time she's in gym (and sometimes outside gym).

Hi - my 8 yo toes in, so took her to a podiatrist. The Dr took X-rays and examined her feet/ noticed the inflammation in her heels (precursor to Sever's) - had shoe inserts made for her feet that she now wears all the time (except at gym) and the doctor said not only would the inserts help the toe-in but also the sever's - have you checked her feet? I never really looked at my girl's that close before & could not believe that she had practically no arches at all! I would first try a podiatrist before spending money on all the other support stuff.

WE have used Nxtmile inserts in tennis shoes, so be worn all times when not in the gym. (Nxtmile inserts are marketed for ball sport athletes, but they work) Then in the gym tennis shoes as much as she can with heel cups when she can't be shoed.
Absolutely no Uggs, toms, sperrys, slides, flip flops, chucks etc (real live tennis shoes with the inserts all the time...well, not in bed or in the shower, but otherwise all the time)
Stretching, icing, PT
I agree with the potential for a boot while not in the gym as an option. (Ortho or podiatry can help with boot/custome orthotics and the like)

My dd had serious severs pain off and on for years. She wore heal cups in her shoes, iced daily, used analgesic cream, daily massage. The foot pain is almost completely gone these days. She was pretty miserable from age 9-11, but it only occasionally flares up these days.

Now she has OSD in her knees. She wants to be taller, but at the time time she is so ready for her growth plates to close and for this pain to subside.

Reactions: sce
My dd had serious severs pain off and on for years. She wore heal cups in her shoes, iced daily, used analgesic cream, daily massage. The foot pain is almost completely gone these days. She was pretty miserable from age 9-11, but it only occasionally flares up these days.

Now she has OSD in her knees. She wants to be taller, but at the time time she is so ready for her growth plates to close and for this pain to subside.
Just curious, did you dd reach her current height at 11yo? Kipper is only 4'10", and I expect her to be at least 5'2". I know I grew until I was 15 or 16. If she could be mostly "done" with this before she turns 12, that would be amazing!

Reactions: sce
growth didn't have anything to do with the severe pain. That improved with the heel cups, massage and justvgettingbused to it.

Dd is 13. Two weeks before her 13th birthday this fall, she broke her hand and dislocated her thumb (hitting it on the beam). She was in a hard cast two months and had further restrictions the first two weeks out of the cast. So for 10 weeks, she only did conditioning.

During that time, she grew 3 inches taller. Yes, three inches in 10 weeks. That brought her to the current height of 4'10". It also triggered a severe flare for O-S in her knee. And it screwed up her vault and bars. But being 10 weeks off practice didn't help those either.

DD has had issues with both Severs and Osgoods, but never as severe as your DDs sounds. When my DD has issues she is only allowed to wear tennis shoes to school, takes ibuprofen for the pain, and takes Oscon supplements. Have you tried Oscon? It was recommended by folks on this board a couple of years ago when DD first had issues, and I really felt like it helped her.

Best of luck!

I'm pretty sure feet are the first thing to stop growing, so I don't think kids need to reach their adult height to outgrow Severs. My impression is that it gets better when foot growth slows down.
Wow!!!! If this is true, then I bet she is nearing the end! Her feet seem huge relative to the rest of her! They are along as mine now, but narrower. I guess they might get bigger, but her sister's didn't. Fingers crossed!!!! Thank you

growth didn't have anything to do with the severe pain. That improved with the heel cups, massage and justvgettingbused to it.

Dd is 13. Two weeks before her 13th birthday this fall, she broke her hand and dislocated her thumb (hitting it on the beam). She was in a hard cast two months and had further restrictions the first two weeks out of the cast. So for 10 weeks, she only did conditioning.

During that time, she grew 3 inches taller. Yes, three inches in 10 weeks. That brought her to the current height of 4'10". It also triggered a severe flare for O-S in her knee. And it screwed up her vault and bars. But being 10 weeks off practice didn't help those either.
Ugh! Three inches in 10 weeks!!!!!! That doesn't sound like fun at all. Poor kid, it must have been so hard to get back to where she was pre-injury! Kipper also has O-S in one knee, but so far it has not been much of an issue as long as she wears the strap. I'm guessing that could easily change....

I certainly don't want to hijack the thread, just wondering what the symptoms were that led you to bringing your kiddos in to be evaluated and ultimately diagnosed with Severs?

DD has been recently- for the last couple of weeks-, mentioning some pain/discomfort in one of her ankles/feet. On again/off again... no apparent swelling or anything. But given she has mentioned it a couple times now, I am thinking of taking her in...

I certainly don't want to hijack the thread, just wondering what the symptoms were that led you to bringing your kiddos in to be evaluated and ultimately diagnosed with Severs?

DD has been recently- for the last couple of weeks-, mentioning some pain/discomfort in one of her ankles/feet. On again/off again... no apparent swelling or anything. But given she has mentioned it a couple times now, I am thinking of taking her in...
It's a very particular pain in the heel area. If you squeeze the sides of the heel with your fingers placed below and slightly behind the ankle bones, that will trigger the pain. It would not involve ankles or the front of the foot. I don't remember any swelling or visible bruising.

(I'm not a doctor - this is what I remember from years ago. If I need to be corrected - jump in :)

Severs is inflammation of a heel growth plate. It can be caused by an overpronated foot, uneven legs, obesity or flat/high arches. If you've noticed any of those.... that could be contributing. Sever's will give your DD pain in one/both of the heels, towards the back, but it could extend to the sides/bottom of the heels; near the foot arch. There might be some mild swelling; but that is usually more severe cases and doesn't always occur. Pain walking or stiffness in the morning can also by symptoms.
If it isn't your DD's heel... and it's her ankle and foot, it probably is something different. It might be a tendon or ligament... maybe just inflammation of soft tissue as opposed to the heel growth plate. It'd probably be worth going to get it checked next time it flares up - just to be sure. And ice, even when it doesn't hurt :)

She has a hard time describing it... Around the lower part of ankle on backside to sides... Nothing debilitating or anything

She has a hard time describing it... Around the lower part of ankle on backside to sides... Nothing debilitating or anything
Sounds suspiciously like Severs. What you are describing is exactly how Kipper described her pain. Her coach told me she thought it was Severs 2 years ago. She suggested the Cheetah heel cup, which solved the problem and got us through that flare up, so we never saw a doc. Because the pain was so much worse with this flare up, we decided to get an xray to confirm. Typically Severs is worse with running/pounding and gets better with rest and ice. You could try the cheetah as well as the general protocols. (mentioned on this thread). Always a good idea to have medical confirmation when possible. Your dd's coaches should be very familiar with the issue and be able to help work around it.

Younger Gymmie is dealing with it in one foot....like @401 says, its an inflammation of the growth plate in the base of the heel right where the achilles tendon attaches to the bone. Its at the base of the foot along the perimeter of the heel. It hurts when you squeeze towards the sides and the back. Gets worse AFTER running and tumbling and can literally feel like its on fire.
We are currently ice bathing as many times per day.....not icing, but the baths cause major drama in my house! screaming and crying.....i feel like i am abusing her.
She is using her high quality athletic sneakers only....no converse, or sketchers.......she is limiting vaulting.....so far this is all working, she still has pain but its LESS.
Just bought the X-brace..............will see how it goes.
4 weeks left in the season..............Soon we will take a much needed break!

X brace. Seriously. And the massage protocol on the website for the x-brace. My daughter has been dealing with it off and on for almost a year. As long as she's using the xbraces religiously she is good.

I've found that a great way to treat severs is to get another injury that forces the gymnast out of the gym. Sigh.

Rest. Rest. Rest. It does work.

The extra injury IS a rather drastic solution though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back