WAG Please share Severs success stories

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is currently on a 6 wk break from gymnastics due to Sever's....the ortho said rest and stretching are the best treatment. After reading other posts here, I'm going to check out the X brace and A.R.T. treatment.
We did ask about working out in a boot but Dr. wasn't a fan. His preference was complete rest so the heels could heal completely. He told us that with daily stretching, the flare the ups could be minimized in the future.
In my daughters case, she's had ongoing pain/discomfort for a few months and then added a bad fall to the list in PE one day, so she was in severe pain.

Kipper is 11, and has had bouts of Severs flare ups since she was 9. Always during meet season, of course! The previous 2 seasons, the flare ups only lasted a few weeks, and only affected 1 meet, it any. The current flare up started more than a month ago and is showing no signs of improving. When she reached a point she couldn't walk recently, we had it x-rayed just to be sure it was only Severs. She cried when we got the diagnosis, because she had hoped it was "only a fracture" that would heal. Instead the doc patiently explained that she would possibly deal with this for a few more years. Since then, we are doing suggested stretching and massage techniques, as well as ice and modified practices. (limited running, no hard landings, etc.) Her coach tapes a gel cup to her foot, and she manages to get through practice most days without a lot of pain. If she complains a lot, I keep her out of practice (under protest). I think the doc mentioned 14 as the age when this is likely to go away. Honestly, I don't see her staying in the sport that long is this becomes the norm. Can anyone share stories of going from age 11-14 with this condition? Other than the support measures we've put in place, can I offer her any encouragement that this isn't permanent? I assume it will improve at some point, and then likely return, but has anyone seen the condition persist for 6 months or more?

it'll go away after she is near the end of puberty. be patient. :)

Reactions: sce
it'll go away after she is near the end of puberty. be patient. :)
Yes, it will go away. Just like no woman in the history of the world has remained pregnant forever. But when you're at 38 weeks and it's August in the south, sometimes you just need a few extra words of encouragement. Kipper is much better this week. I am sure it is in part due to the protocol we've been following. Hopefully, it's also due to an end of this particular flare up. Regardless, she is happy to be competing this weekend relatively pain-free (compared to the previous 3 meets).

JoyAvenueMom, I agree. When you're a little girl who's been living with the sometimes excruciating pain of severs on and off for a year, then it goes away and THEN it comes back again, "it will go away" or "it is self-limiting due to the nature of the condition" isn't actually all that encouraging. You want it to go away NOW!

I have cried so many tears wanting to wave my magic wand and make it better for her, but unfortunately there's little I can do that actually seems to help. Oh yes, we do everything we're supposed to, but that pain, it just hangs around.

I have cried so many tears wanting to wave my magic wand and make it better for her, but unfortunately there's little I can do that actually seems to help. Oh yes, we do everything we're supposed to, but that pain, it just hangs around.

Yep! What do you say when your kid says "I just want to be pain-free for five minutes"? You smile and remind her that she can slow down or stop at any point, but, thanks to Severs, being pain-free would also mean being gymnastics free. After she frantically assures you that is not an option, you remind her to do everything she can control: (sneakers only, wear your x brace, use the ice, tell the coach when it's really bad) You promise her it will get better eventually, kiss her good night, and cry your own tears as soon as you are out of sight.

Remind your DD, non gymnastics kids also suffer from severs.....when I was a kid it was growing pains?
Any way, my son who does not even do a demanding sport had it on and off from11-12.
Granted, it did not cause an issue...he just didn't really run for a few days.

Reactions: sce
I've found that a great way to treat severs is to get another injury that forces the gymnast out of the gym. Sigh.

Rest. Rest. Rest. It does work.

The extra injury IS a rather drastic solution though.

Well, it looks like we are going to find out. She hurt her knee (potentially badly) yesterday. MRI on Friday. :-(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back