Parents Practice schedule over Thanksgiving??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The coach is also making a sacrifice on their holiday.

Or the coach hates their family, cooking, eating. Or perhaps they have nothing going on for any number of reasons.

The coach is getting paid, its much less of a "sacrifice". Which on a day to day thing doesn't require thanks. They are doing their job.

Our gym hardly ever closes, but Christmas and Thanksgiving are 2 days we can count on.

JMO, but if my kid was going to the Olympics the next week maybe then I'd be OK with her practicing but anything further out then a couple of weeks, nah...... I'd probably invite the coach to dinner though. :)

The gym hasn’t told us officially what the schedule will be (they like to let us know at the last possible moment!), but IIRC from last year, they get Thursday itself off and no other days. Meet season is coming soon, so I think it’s a hard time for them to want to give days off. But also IIRC, there are a lot of kids missing at practice on Wed, Fri, and Sat.

We stay at home for the holidays so it’s not a big deal for us if she has gym. But I’d also have no problem skipping if we had some exciting plans. I do feel badly for the coaches, though.

DDs usual day off is Wed. We already know she will be practicing that wednesday and actually have thur-fri-sat OFF, which is practically unheard of!

Same for us.

Or the coach hates their family, cooking, eating. Or perhaps they have nothing going on for any number of reasons.

The coach is getting paid, its much less of a "sacrifice". Which on a day to day thing doesn't require thanks. They are doing their job.

It’s still a sacrifice. Just like hospital staff and retail employees who have to work holidays. Yes, you are getting paid, but that doesn’t erase the fact that you’d rather be home eating turkey with your family. Working holidays sucks; I don’t care if you are a neurosurgeon called in for trauma brain surgery or an employee at Toys R Us on Thanksgiving or a gymnastics coach being there to train the elite path kids. It’s not fun, and hearing from the people you are helping that they appreciate you being there to serve them (even if you are getting paid) helps. Also, most team level coaches are on salary, so they make nothing extra by being there on Thanksgiving. They are most likely doing it because they feel it is in the best interest of the high level gymnasts.

They are most likely doing it because they feel it is in the best interest of the high level gymnasts.

One day is not going to make a difference in any kind of gymnastics.

I work the holidays because I have to, unfortunately people continue to get sick and have accidents.

It is simply not necessary in gymnastics.

If a kid practices 4 hours a day for 20 hours a week, 50 weeks a year. One day is a half a percent.
It doesn't matter.

Ill say the gym should probably be closed on Easter Christmas and Thanksgiving. With that said if the HC is the owner, he gets paid if he comes to work or if he stays home. We don't pay less in a month with holidays, s do we?

Reactions: sce
Ill say the gym should probably be closed on Easter Christmas and Thanksgiving. With that said if the HC is the owner, he gets paid if he comes to work or if he stays home. We don't pay less in a month with holidays, s do we?
We pay less in December (because it is a 1/2 month). For those that dont pay less, it could be that they take the total cost for the year and divide it evenly (and just call it monthly payment because you pay it monthly... not because that is how much you are paying JUST for that month).

We pay monthly based on hours attending. If there is going to be significant time off they will prorate.

Make ups are also offered at the convenience of the gym. So our Thursday kids will practice another day if they want to. In other words they need to make sure there are enough coaches for the gymmies.

We have 7 days off all year - Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve and Christmas, New Year's Day, Memorial Day and July 4th. That's it. There used to be a week off near the start of the summer, but that is no longer the case. Occasionally there will be schedule changes on days when there is no school (e.g., the Friday after Thanksgiving) so the girls practice during the day and have the evening off.

We pay monthly based on hours attending. If there is going to be significant time off they will prorate.

Make ups are also offered at the convenience of the gym. So our Thursday kids will practice another day if they want to. In other words they need to make sure there are enough coaches for the gymmies.

I do not have full knowledge of DD's Gym schedule yet. I like the prorate thing it seems fair. I do know we do not have makeup days and days off are few and far between.

Our gym hardly ever closes, but Christmas and Thanksgiving are 2 days we can count on.

JMO, but if my kid was going to the Olympics the next week maybe then I'd be OK with her practicing but anything further out then a couple of weeks, nah...... I'd probably invite the coach to dinner though. :)

Yikes!

I really think someone should try inviting some of these coaches to dinner. Maybe they just have no place to go? Good grief. Practice on Thanksgiving day?! Ya'll are making me fall in LOVE with our gym right now and I was just complaining that we only get 2 weeks off a year since my life before being a gym shuttle included a lot of travel.

Asking a child to make that level of "sacrifice" = burnout. If a gym asked my children to come in on Thanksgiving or Christmas day, Id have to find another gym.

Asking a child to make that level of "sacrifice" = burnout. If a gym asked my children to come in on Thanksgiving or Christmas day, Id have to find another gym.
Mine could ask.

It wouldn't happen, but they could ask.

Mine could ask.

It wouldn't happen, but they could ask.
Well, you are much more patient than I am. ;) I need to know that these people Im entrusting my kids with give a damn about them becoming good human beings and productive members of society outside of the gym. Our girls will be between seasons at thanksgiving so there would be very few reasons to ask that of our teams. If there is a reason like a major competition Id understand asking.. for instance, I think the TOPS girls may be going to the ranch right after thanksgiving this year (Im not up on the dates, just using this as a for example) and I could understand if a coach wanted to try and get a thanksgiving day practice in if possible. But these are such one off situations, very few people seem to be competing by the end of Nov... Im newish to the sport but seems to be a nice lull that was built between the spring and fall seasons so why not take advantage of it and let people have a couple days a year they can count on of family time? (caveat, I have no idea what boys gymnastics seasons look like, so maybe you are in the thick of your season right now! And obviously elite is a whole different story) If my kids missed Thanksgiving last year they would have missed the last thanksgiving with their grandfather. There really is no score worth that to me and I dont know that I want anyone teaching them they have to make "sacrifices" like that to succeed because I dont believe it is true.

Well, you are much more patient than I am. ;)

I just tell my daughter coach probably won't be cranky about something I say no to forever. :cool:

I think the TOPS girls may be going to the ranch right after thanksgiving this year (Im not up on the dates, just using this as a for example) and I could understand if a coach wanted to try and get a thanksgiving day practice in if possible.

Isn't the reason they are going to the ranch to better develop their gymnastics. It would still be a no. :D

Of course no single practice is ever necessary. To stretch this to say coaches are asking children to miss Thanksgiving with their grandparents is a bit much. Though it's few and far between, when I have seen coaches hold Thanksgiving practice(or Chirstmas eve) it goes something like this. "I am not going out of town, so will be at the gym from 9am to noon running team practice for any gymnasts who are in town and can attend".

I really think someone should try inviting some of these coaches to dinner. Maybe they just have no place to go? Good grief. Practice on Thanksgiving day?! Ya'll are making me fall in LOVE with our gym right now and I was just complaining that we only get 2 weeks off a year since my life before being a gym shuttle included a lot of travel.

Last year my girls went to practice on thanksgiving. Their coach- who was also the owner- was there with his three kids because they all wanted to be. Practice was in the morning and didn’t interfere with dinner at all. It was an extra practice and it was free. My kids positively begged to go because their dad was initially against it. He kept harping on how it was a family day- but when pressed he admitted that he planned to watch tv all day while they puttered around the house.. so in the end they won out. My kids love us. The coach loved his family. They all loved being at gym- it was a home away from home. They didn’t do too much working that practice but they had an amazing time that they still talk about to this day.

"I am not going out of town, so will be at the gym from 9am to noon running team practice for any gymnasts who are in town and can attend".

And what a difference choice makes. Assuming not attending is not a mark against.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back