Parents Prep-Op: what's the norm w/training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter, 11 almost 12, is in Prep-Op Rookie. This is her second year at that level. This is our first experience as parents with gymnastics as a sport. She does enjoy other activities so prep-op seems a good place for her as far as time commitment.

My questions are about expectations from the gym and whether we need to look elsewhere:

The positives:
Gym uses mostly adult coaches and they seem attentive. One other gym I investigated used high school kids for the prep-op program and they seemed not to care about the program. The gym we are at does seem to value the program.

The question marks:
There is little to no working on new skills or even focusing on areas of weaknesses. My daughter really wants to get new skills like her back handspring. She has done little to no work on that in the two years she has been there. Is this the norm? Should I expect that they learn new skills while working on their routines for competition? If so, what's a good balance of new skills/current routine training?

I'm wondering whether this is the best place for her? Will other gyms be even less attentive? Is Prep-Op less valued as a program in the gymnastics community (i.e. is it a dumping ground for those that can't 'make it' in levels?) I don't think so, but would appreciate some other perspectives, especially from parents in MA. From what I can tell, Prep-Op is not standardized across the country.

Thanks!

B

My daughter, 11 almost 12, is in Prep-Op Rookie. This is her second year at that level. This is our first experience as parents with gymnastics as a sport. She does enjoy other activities so prep-op seems a good place for her as far as time commitment.

My questions are about expectations from the gym and whether we need to look elsewhere:

The positives:
Gym uses mostly adult coaches and they seem attentive. One other gym I investigated used high school kids for the prep-op program and they seemed not to care about the program. The gym we are at does seem to value the program.

The question marks:
There is little to no working on new skills or even focusing on areas of weaknesses. My daughter really wants to get new skills like her back handspring. She has done little to no work on that in the two years she has been there. Is this the norm? Should I expect that they learn new skills while working on their routines for competition? If so, what's a good balance of new skills/current routine training?

I'm wondering whether this is the best place for her? Will other gyms be even less attentive? Is Prep-Op less valued as a program in the gymnastics community (i.e. is it a dumping ground for those that can't 'make it' in levels?) I don't think so, but would appreciate some other perspectives, especially from parents in MA. From what I can tell, Prep-Op is not standardized across the country.

Thanks!

B

read the bold from the bottom to the top. you kinda answered your own question. she's almost 12 and the club knows it. you have to change your commitment or where she's at will stay the dame.

I don't know how limited the hours are, but it's possible with your daughter starting this as an almost-10 year old, that she has been in her growth spurt for much of this time and is working hard with those hours to get not new skills, but the same skills in a rapidly changing body, which is an accomplishment worthy of the work.

In programs with limited hours, Prep Op seems to be used as a stand alone alternative to allow for the expected slower skill aquisition (where they mostly stay Prep Op). Sometimes it is also a bridge between levels. My daughter's team this year is competing 2-6 and PO Beg, 1 & 2. Consistently, they only practice 6 hours a week (sometimes 8) so the PO provides a place to go if a level is mastered but the next level probably won't be in the upcoming season -- is my assumption.

A suggestion if she is happy on her team but frustrated about not learning some new stuff -- see if there is a good quality T&T program nearby that she could do as an add-on. Sometimes the T&T teams don't practice very many hours either.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back