WAG press handstand update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

sportymom

Some weks ago I posted that my younger DD (and the girls on her team) is expected to get her press handstand by the end of September. She has made good progress so far! She had her standing straddle but couldn't press up from a straddle L position to stand, although she could hold a straddle L for 30secs or more! But now she can press up completely to a stand and sometimes even higher!

I videotaped her and compared it to a video of older DD who can do several presses in a row. It looks completely the same the only thing younger DD can't do is lift her hips and butt up. So as she presses, her hips go higher and higher, but once she is in a standing position, her butt just doesn't go any higher!

If she stands, she can press up from there. So she is missing the part where you need to roll up your back but still have the hold the legs up...

If you look at this picture, on good days she comes close to this, but her back isn't that rolled up already.

http://www.google.at/imgres?imgurl=...iact=rc&uact=3&dur=969&page=1&start=0&ndsp=28

Do you have any tips? Is she lacks this, which part of her body is too weak? Or is it an overall problem?

Hi,

I would say is all about upper body strength: shoulders and back muscles. She is able to do from standing position because the way to handstand is much shorter in this case than from straddle L so it requires her to lock shoulders just for a while.

Good exercise for her might be practising press to handstand against to the wall with hands close as it's possible to the wall from standing position, and also performing the entire element with coach support who's locking her shoulders to avoid leaning forward as in planche.

In order to strengthen shoulders/back muscles, I would recommend to watch this drill:

http://gymdrills.net/view/57/Handstand-push-ups-piked-body-position-to-isolate-shoulder-muscles

It's completely free, you need to just sign up at: http://gymdrills.net to see the video.

Regards!

Last edited:
Ds had a drill where they held a position like a handstand with legs in straddle off the ground. (Like after the back has rolled straight but without pressing up)
Don't know if that's what it is for?

Sporty Mom; Congrats on the progress. I am pleased for you and your DD, but not surprised as it has been my experience that gymnasts can meet high expectations just as they meet low expectations.

Certainly upper body, but legs, abs and muscles in hips all play rolls in this movement. In a practice, I like to work the different muscle groups in tasks at different events. hole skills, straddle-press HS with coach spotting is great, but for me a USA-G L7-9 rotation with 10 girls means I wear out and struggle to get to all the girls. Working the physical/movement weaknesses and then working whole movement works for my situation.

As to drills here are a couple that we do in the gym to address the beginning HS press(straddle press on BB and cast HS on UB's):
(1) Straddle lifts (typically used on an UB station) - gymnast holds onto the ground bar while sitting in a straddle hold and lifts their feet over the bar and behind them to the ground. They repeat by lifting the feet in front of the bar.
(2) Butt - ups (typically used on an UB station) - gymnast holds onto ground parallel bars (paralletes) while in a compressed pike hold and lifts feet back behind to a pike stand on panel mats stacked behind them. Their strength and practice will determine how many mats are stacked. The repeat by lifting off their toes and coming back to a compressed pike hold.
(3) Snap-ups (typically an UB station) - gymnast's hands close to the wall and their feet just a few inches off the ground, snaps their straddle up to an open hip HS. They slowly lower the straddle to the above ground and repeat the snap-up.
(4) Static holds - (typically a BB station) 30 sec. repeated static holds of a straddle on a BB.
(5) Rockers - (typically a BB station) 30 sec. holding a straddle hold and lifting the hips just below shoulder height and lowering back (whilst remaining on BB).

This is not a complete list, but a few ideas/suggestion.

Good news Sport Mom.

Best, SBG -

Ds had a drill where they held a position like a handstand with legs in straddle off the ground. (Like after the back has rolled straight but without pressing up)
Don't know if that's what it is for?

My boss used to call this "Spider HS" but it's a good drill for the press HS.

Again, you find the weak spot and work it.

OMG, Thank you all sooooooooo much for very helpful tipps and drills!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back