Press Handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been working on my press handstand for a long time. I have a lot of strength. In my abs, shoudlers, and arms. I think I can't really do it, because I don't understand how. I can do it against the wall easily. I can also do a headstand press. I just don't understand how far out my shoulders need to be, or how to lift my hips up. Any drills that could help me, or ideas on why I can't do it? Thanks in advance.

A lot of this skill is flexibility. The strength allows you to make of for any flexibility issues. Can you press from a straddle stand?

CoachTodd is right, flexibility is an important part.

To lift your hips you need to lean and press up with your arms (hence the name press handstand). Your press is so easy for you against a wall because the wall stops you from leaning too much while giving you leverage to press up.

To get the press I'd just say you should practice practice practice. Start off using a wall if needed, but try to back away from the wall after bit so eventually you can rely on it less and less. At that point, I'd just do it on floor maybe with a light spot from a coach.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back