Parents "Protective" gear

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
Do you let your DD's wear wrist guards, ankle braces such things as preventive/protection or do you only use when necessary. I am curious

I wish I had bought Tiger Paws earlier! Now dealing with an overuse injury that could have been prevented.

Was just about to post about this. DD healing from 2nd time wrist sprain. Wants tiger paws. PT and doc say can tape, use a wrist support type thing or tiger paws. Has no pain right now so unsure. She's 10 training lv 7. Hasn't hurt lately but both times was hurt on BHS on beam where you can't even wear tiger paws. So unsure about what to do. She's been taping and that has been fine so far.

dd mainly wears hers for protection due to past injuries. Some she has worn for short periods (taping/bracing ankles) and some (tiger paws, compression sleeves) have become permanent parts of her training.

Was just about to post about this. DD healing from 2nd time wrist sprain. Wants tiger paws. PT and doc say can tape, use a wrist support type thing or tiger paws. Has no pain right now so unsure. She's 10 training lv 7. Hasn't hurt lately but both times was hurt on BHS on beam where you can't even wear tiger paws. So unsure about what to do. She's been taping and that has been fine so far.
These are what dd wears on beam. Offers just the right support without being bulky. Most of her palm is uncovered so better grip on the beam when doing the bhs's

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Spor...9981&sr=8-1&keywords=mueller+hg80+wrist+brace

Do you let your DD's wear wrist guards, ankle braces such things as preventive/protection or do you only use when necessary. I am curious
We tend to always wait too long. :(
OG got her tiger paws after a couple months of wrist issues - we tried cheaper neoprene wraps first that minimally helped, but were too bulky. Originally, the Tiger paws were just worn on floor. Now she wears for floor and vault (and occasionally beam, only during practice - it takes a little getting used to). She wears her left ankle brace for vault and floor always. Her right ankle brace is an occasional thing - dictated by pain. Her knee braces are also dictated by pain, but more often NOT worn, even though they should be (plus, they match each other AND her ankle braces, lol).
YG is not as injury prone. Until the last month or so, her only pain complaint was occasionally a wrist. She would wear OG's old wrist wrap when needed at practice. This month, she has started to wear her sister's tiger paws (OG needed a bigger pair anyways and the smaller pair is still in great shape). So now they both wear them.
Tonight, YG landed low and her ankle was bothering her. We braced it and it helped. She went home and she iced it. She is off until Thursday. Wont decide what to do about bracing until we see how she is then.

Wrist issue last year. Only used minor support after but it was meet season so she wasn't uptraining intensely. Had tiger paws she wouldn't wear them?

Meet season over. Intense uptraining started. She mentioned a wrist twinge. I told her I didn't want to hear it if she wasn't wearing the tiger paws. She is wearing them. Wrist is fine.

If I had it to do over. She would of started wearing them way before she "needed" them.

Hasn't hurt lately but both times was hurt on BHS on beam where you can't even wear tiger paws. So unsure about what to do. She's been taping and that has been fine so far.

This is how my kid injured her wrist. After she got out of they brace. She wore Skids on wrist that was injured for training, not meets. When she complained of slight twinges. I insisted she put the paws on. They are now on for floor, vault and beam. Both hands. And yes on floor, vault and beam. Wrist has been fine all summer.

Those of you that have commented that you would have started way earlier, how early? Is there a specific level or skill/s that you wish your dd had been wearing wrist and/or ankle support for? Would it have been based on growth, weight, or increased hours in the gym? Or do you just wish dd would have worn them from the very beginning of team training?

Those of you that have commented that you would have started way earlier, how early? Is there a specific level or skill/s that you wish your dd had been wearing wrist and/or ankle support for? Would it have been based on growth, weight, or increased hours in the gym? Or do you just wish dd would have worn them from the very beginning of team training?
Of course its always easier to Monday morning quarterback ;)

But I would of done it as soon as she started L4. And I am speaking strictly about wrist protection, because they start drilling higher level stuff.

Lots BHS, BWO on beam. Drilling higher level vaults, in our gym tsuks currently. Those wrists take a pounding.

So much like many gyms start grips early, I would of done the same with wrist protection. If we had she likely would of ended last season a L7 and not L6.

My L4 has been wearing the x-brace in the gym at all times since her first episode of Sever's. I wish I had insisted she start wearing them after an earlier overuse injury caused by flat feet, but at that time we went with the ankle brace recommended by the PT, who had never heard of the x-brace.

She will be in her Tiger Paws permanently the instant she complains of any wrist pain. She doesn't like the plastic inserts, though, and I'm not sure how much use the foam inserts are.

Some gyms are proactive. Some are reactive. Every gym has their own school of thought. No right or wrong. But as a proactive parent, i am very glad we are at a proactive gym in terms of wristguards.

Our girls were all wearing Tiger Paws from level 3 on. We got a new coach and he is not a fan. Prefers to build up wrist strength. He weaned all the girls (even the upper levels) off of them.

Our girls were all wearing Tiger Paws from level 3 on. We got a new coach and he is not a fan. Prefers to build up wrist strength. He weaned all the girls (even the upper levels) off of them.
As our Ortho said to us. If wrists were meant for that kind of pounding we would be walking on our hands :)

Our gym does not allow braces, wraps, tiger paws etc unless accompanied by doctors note. ;)

If that was an issue at our gym, a note it would be :cool:

I would be asking my gym to front the copay for the doctors visit if they required this. Seems very extreme to me!
We are new to the gym so there must be some history behind it. Luckily we have not had to cross that bridge yet.

As our Ortho said to us. If wrists were meant for that kind of pounding we would be walking on our hands :)

Yeah, but I do think it was overkill for all the little level 3's to be sporting them. It was more a rite of passage than a necessary aid. I think he wanted to kill that habit and work on getting them stronger first. I haven't paid attention to the upper levels lately, but I imagine if they needed them at that stage, he'd allow it.

Yeah, but I do think it was overkill for all the little level 3's to be sporting them. It was more a rite of passage than a necessary aid. I think he wanted to kill that habit and work on getting them stronger first. I haven't paid attention to the upper levels lately, but I imagine if they needed them at that stage, he'd allow it.
Again, I'm in the hindsight thing.

But I would imagine the logic is similar to early grip logic. Get them used to it before they need it.

Our gym had all the girls get grips last summer and they all grumbled at first and now they don't even think about it. The girls that truly didn't like them just don't wear them. The rest of them are all in them and probably wouldn't take them off now.

My kid grumbled she didn't "like" how the paws felt. At which point I reminded her how she didn't like the grips at first either. Now that she has been wearing them regularly she doesn't even think about it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back