WAG Pullover help!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnast_Tor

Gymnast
I'm a 15 year old gymnast, (I know, older, right?) and I can't get my pullover! :( I've been doing chin ups all week, sit ups, and push ups, and I go back to the gym on Monday, so what are some more exercises or ideas I can do to get it! (If I et it, I can move up monday!!) Please help?! :(

If there is a playground near your house then go there and practice on a bar (if the playground has one). Remember when you do a pullover to pull your legs over the bar aiming for where your head was before you started the pullover. Basically just keep practicing and go for it and you will get it eventually.

Also are you trying to do the version where you kick up into a pullover(I think this is easier) or the type where you lift both legs together at the same time(which is prettier)?

I don't think it's a strength issue as you're able to do chin ups which suggests that you are strong enough to do a pullover.
best of luck

Also remember when you get half way up pike and push your hips to the bar and you're legs over. Keep your chin up the whole time! I don't know how much this helps but my friend who had trouble getting it after I told her to pike balk way up she did it!

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a playground near me, but I have a chin up bar in the door way at home. I was going to learn the kick up version if the pullover, but my coach told me that every gymnast in that gym had to get the lift both legs together pullover to move up.

something we have our gymnasts do is lie flat on their back on the floor with arms by ears holding a plastic bar (could be anything, a broom handle would do!). They go through the motion of the pull over here, so pull the bar down to their chin, then lift both legs up and over their head to touch toes on the floor. This seems to help them to understand the skill.
You can't throw your head back on the floor, and it helps to understand where your feet need to go!

Okay, I'll try that. Thank you. Any more suggestions? And what are some good exercises to work on ab strength? I need to work on that too, haha. :)

Okay, I'll try that. Thank you. Any more suggestions? And what are some good exercises to work on ab strength? I need to work on that too, haha. :)

Lots of leg lifts - hanging on the bar and lifting toes to the bar.
Sit ups, V Sits, Hollow holds/rockers (but don't forget to work on back strength too, don't want to have super strong abs and a weak back!)

You could also practice going from front support on the bar, forward circling down to a chin up and then lifting your legs back over - start by trying to do one, then build it up and see how many you can do in a row.

Good Luck!

FWIW it might be helpful for you to learn a kick over pull over just until you get the feel of it!

I was going to learn the kick up version if the pullover, but my coach told me that every gymnast in that gym had to get the lift both legs together pullover to move up.

Start with the kick-over. Once you get it, you can work towards the two legs together version.

At our gym they lean a beatboard on a block and get the kids to walk their feet up the beatboard and from there get their feet over the bar. You could also use a wedge for this. Also, if the bar is very high or low it will be more difficult. You can add a mat under your feet to make yourself taller relative to the bar.

One way I used to have my older girls learn a pullover is to put a block in front of the low bar, hold the low bar, feet on the block, chin to the bar and kick over. It gives you the little boost to get past the hard part and helps to learn what muscles you need to use when.

Remember to relax before you do it, if you get stressed out, you get frustrated. We all know frustration doesn't help anything. I know some girls on my team who get a running start first. Remember not to arch your back, when you arch your back you just go down..

First of all, let me just say that I started gymnastics 'later' (age 14 and that was about 3 months ago) than most, so your not alone! The pullover is definitely difficult, and I just got mine last week something that really helped me, was to 'lean back' into it...it may not be the correct form or what not, but it helps get to the point where you can get over!! Also, (someone else may have already said and you probably already know), but keep your arms bent a little. Hope I helped and GOOD LUCK!!! :D :D :D

Yes, I use the block a lot, and im trying to work on ab and arm muscles for this. I can't wait to get back in the gym and try again! (my ultimate goal is to compete) :)

Hi, I don't really have an advice but just letting you know I was also a late stater (12), it took me just under 3 years to get my pullover. DON'T GIVE UP. It's all worth it in the end.

GymnastJess, I was just wondering about you the other day! Anyway, one thing that helped with me, because it is a huge timing issue for me, was to do it with a springboard underneath. But lots of leg lifts and v-ups help. It took me almost 3 years to get my consistently too(and I still prefer to use a spring board or something to "bounce" off of lol)

I started gymnastics at 15 too! Well i did it for 3 yrs when i was a little kid but anyways today was my first class and it was awesome! Somehow I did a full turn on beam lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back