WAG Punishment for doing bad at meets?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Having a hard time putting in words what I'm thinking after reading Foxy's Leos post right now. I can't agree more with dunno. And it's not because John Geddert does something that he is doing the best thing.

I know he is doing it to improve consistency but still... Correct what causes the fall instead of repeating the same skill over and over again, hoping you'll be able to do it 10 times in a row.

are you nuts? 1st, Jordyn was his first. 2nd, he didn't produce an Olympic Team. 3rd, what are you doing mentioning his name in the vein of this thread? 4th, maybe it was normal for you...

and finally, you have your Mother's business name listed there. seriously, are you nuts? i would highly recommend that you undo this as fast as you put it there. geesh...& YIKES!

forgot one...i hope you're not going to post up why you left there either. at least not under the name of your mom's business.

Well I don't know, it seems like the two businesses have a mutual relationship per their blog. But anyway, I hardly think at the upper levels doing 10 of something in a row is "punishment" or abnormally strenuous, just something you should be able to do on a lot of skills for confidence. If you have the skill on most of the events it's just doing it 10 times, and that's not a gym that generally competes kids on iffy skills. The only place the "in a row" tends to cause problems is beam, but most of those skills aren't extremely strenuous, except two foot landings, then most gyms use a pad to land on for almost all training (yes, I am quite certain even Jordyn Wieber did this leading up to the Olympics, so no doubt the level 10s are doing it). There are other things I wouldn't assign 10 in a row of, but my guess is it was onto an appropriate landing surface such as the pit.

Basically, even if true I wouldn't think badly of the guy from that anecdote, since I've seen that the training surfaces are always quite appropriate.

Well I don't know, it seems like the two businesses have a mutual relationship per their blog. But anyway, I hardly think at the upper levels doing 10 of something in a row is "punishment" or abnormally strenuous, just something you should be able to do on a lot of skills for confidence. If you have the skill on most of the events it's just doing it 10 times, and that's not a gym that generally competes kids on iffy skills. The only place the "in a row" tends to cause problems is beam, but most of those skills aren't extremely strenuous, except two foot landings, then most gyms use a pad to land on for almost all training (yes, I am quite certain even Jordyn Wieber did this leading up to the Olympics, so no doubt the level 10s are doing it). There are other things I wouldn't assign 10 in a row of, but my guess is it was onto an appropriate landing surface such as the pit.

Basically, even if true I wouldn't think badly of the guy from that anecdote, since I've seen that the training surfaces are always quite appropriate.

I agree with that, for the higher levels ok. But 3 hours of a particular skill is way too much.

Hmmm... My DD fell on her dismounts on beam and bars at her last meet, and scored almost the same AA as the meet before it, with no falls on dismounts... Her coaches pointed out to her that her scores had improved dramatically in those two events, and if she had stuck her landings, look what her scores could have been. So they made her practice her dismounts on those two events at the next practice. (I think she had to do 10 acceptable ones. Not in a row, though...)

That never struck me as wrong. I thought in gymnastics - muscle memory is all-important.

I agree with that, for the higher levels ok. But 3 hours of a particular skill is way too much.

Well yes, I agree, but that does seem like an exaggeration to me. It shouldn't take 3 hours to make 10 of a skill you're competing, and that is a gym that usually competes very solid skills. If we're talking about beam, I still agree, but spending a lot of time there isn't as absurd as three hours of vaulting or whatnot. Honestly, my gym was normal, non-abusive and I've done hours long workouts on beam that focused on pretty much one thing (series) there were different exercises going on but overall, yeah one thing. It's not like this was every day and it wasn't punishment, just something that needed a lot of confidence building.

I mean for higher levels, if it's appropriate surface, that's what it is. Lower levels need to spend a lot of time usually on developmental exercises and may not be the best use of time. But 10 of a skill in compulsory is nothing, they are doing 10 handstands on beam. This is not excessive. So I don't even see a question there.

i'm disappointed...maybe i should have said the guys that i know up at 10 and elite. i hope i'm not misguided.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back