WAG Qualifying Elite at the ranch and other thoughts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Very interesting. I guess one good thing about the boys' side is that doing Future Stars and Junior Elite does help down the road for college gymnastics, even though it's not necessary. I don't think anyone would argue that investing in FS/JE is a waste of time or money if a kid has the talent and work ethic to do well in the programs. But maybe I'm just naive because the only kids I've seen doing it seem to have benefited.

I think the verdict is still out on whether or not it helps for college. From what I am hearing/seeing, colleges aren't too concerned with which track you are on, if you are good. We had a couple of coaches looking at our kiddos, and that was their thoughts anyway...

Maybe for some kids it's just the challenge of trying to qualify? Imagine if you are an 11-12 year old level 10 and have so many years of level 10 looming ahead. Sometimes kids just need something extra to work towards. Maybe they will never make the national team or be selected for anything, but why not try if that's your goal?

I think Hopes has it's value. It gives kids a chance to dip a toe in the water and see if it's something they like. I'm not really sure how it's a money maker. Maybe someone can enlighten me. If you look at many of the girls who tested hopes/elite at the some of the qualifiers during the season, their team when to those meets regardless. So if you would be competing with your team anyway as a level 9/10, how is that costing you any extra money? You are just competing in a different division, but you would be traveling anyway.

I can see why you would think that way Bach Flyer but I don't think it is true. The way to get "in" with the USAG is to have a very special gymnast. It is very difficult to understand how good these girls (elite gymnasts) are if you don't see them train and see firsthand their amazing athletic abilities (physical and mental). People assume that if "Sally" is the best gymnast they've ever coached then she must be elite material, but it's just not the case. And when Sally doesn't make developmental camp or junior elite or Hopes they blame politics because that's easier than saying "we were wrong" or "we didn't prepare the gymnast properly" or "she's just missing the it factor".

The Hopes program gives a gymnast a chance to begin competing the elite meets before they qualify junior elite. For many it will be the end of the elite road but that competition experience is a huge asset to those who do move on and those who don't.

I can see why you would think that way Bach Flyer but I don't think it is true. The way to get "in" with the USAG is to have a very special gymnast. It is very difficult to understand how good these girls (elite gymnasts) are if you don't see them train and see firsthand their amazing athletic abilities (physical and mental). People assume that if "Sally" is the best gymnast they've ever coached then she must be elite material, but it's just not the case. And when Sally doesn't make developmental camp or junior elite or Hopes they blame politics because that's easier than saying "we were wrong" or "we didn't prepare the gymnast properly" or "she's just missing the it factor".

Oh yes, I understand that you need a very special gymnast, and I don't think it's difficult at all to understand full well how some kids can be very good and still not be quite cut out for it. I was just wondering about the value of Hopes - so if the value is to get them more competitive experience, that helps answer my question. I hope no one thinks I'm blaming politics just for asking - I was truly just wonder what the value of Hopes is from an insiders perspective when it seems the "ones" that make it past Hopes were already so good that they were on the radar well before that point. It does seem to me that these girls are almost always from an already established elite gym. Of course it makes sense that elite gyms will produce more elites (obviously), I just don't see where the Tops/Hopes program has really identified and helped to develop very many girls from what I'd call a 2nd tier gym, even though USAG states that intention. But, maybe these development programs are new, and there are coaches that are learning things from putting their kids through Tops/Hopes, and their programs will get there eventually? Who knows, just curious. I guess if it wasn't valuable to USAG on some level, they wouldn't do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back