WAG Qualifying Elite at the ranch and other thoughts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

you know, Marta is not the only one there putting metrics on the kids. come on, folks.

Oh I agree. When we heard some of the stuff the girl tried to pull there, we knew she had done it to herself. A bad attitude will get you no where, and she was full of it that year. Plus, the work ethic was not there either. it was good for her to not be invited back, and she straightened up after that and has done well. I think elite just wasn't for her.

I don't like systems where one person has so much power over the lives of others. Where are the checks and balances? It seems fundamentally wrong that one person can dismiss a lifetime of hard work and aspirations simply because she doesn't like you. :(

I think the checks and balances are the success of USA gymnastics. Marta is giving the authority because she has proven she deserves it.

But there's really nothing comparable to the Ranch system on the men's side, right? And the top men CAN be elites at the same time they are still competing JO. Does any one person have the power to name someone to the national team without that person having just competed in and done well at a designated meet (Winter Cup or Nationals), excluding injured guys who were previously national team members?

no, not really. you are either Elite or JO. you can't do both. and that one person would be Kevin Mazeika.

no, not really. you are either Elite or JO. you can't do both. and that one person would be Kevin Mazeika.

Well the junior elite system makes it seem a little different. I don't fully understand all that. It seems like the oldest category of JE at JO nationals was elite, and I know the one from my state at least didn't compete in JO meets like states.

How would you classify Marvin Kimble? Or Marty Strech? Or do you consider JE separate enough from JO that you aren't counting JE as part of JO?

Just to pick on one guy, look at Yul Moldauer in Meetscoresonline. http://www.meetscoresonline.com/Athlete.MyScores/216113 National team member, competed Junior Elite at the event that combined JO/JE nationals. But he also competed plain vanilla L10 at some meets in 2013-14.

I'm confused!

Last edited:
How would you classify Marvin Kimble? Or Marty Strech? Or do you consider JE separate enough from JO that you aren't counting JE as part of JO?

Just to pick on one guy, look at Yul Moldauer in Meetscoresonline. http://www.meetscoresonline.com/Athlete.MyScores/216113 National team member, competed Junior Elite at the event that combined JO/JE nationals. But he also competed plain vanilla L10 at some meets in 2013-14.

I'm confused!

yes, correct. and invitational meets are open to any level. and sometimes these invitational meets have open/elite sessions. it's just a meet. understand?

there are so few elites that a meet couldn't stand on it's own 2 $$$ legs if other athletes were not in those same invitationals.

Baby girl likes the peacocks
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1400681543.045797.jpg

Reactions: sce

I'm confused!

Me too. I know Yul and Marvin both competed regular ole JO during teh season at meets. they are usually jsut the big invitationals, but at those, they just compete 10.

Me too. I know Yul and Marvin both competed regular ole JO during teh season at meets. they are usually jsut the big invitationals, but at those, they just compete 10.

they don't have any other meets that they can be in? understand??

I do. I think people were just confused about how it works. Like if girls are Elite, they don't compete against level 10s, just open/elite meets. But the boys, they can still compete against other level 10s. I think we were just clarifying the process in our heads. :)

It's easier to understand with meets that have sessions specifically designated 10/Open. But kind of cool to know that DS's most admired teammate could be competing against athletes of this caliber in just a few short years! (And even cooler if the kid becomes one himself. :))

I don't like systems where one person has so much power over the lives of others. Where are the checks and balances? It seems fundamentally wrong that one person can dismiss a lifetime of hard work and aspirations simply because she doesn't like you. :(
well, she produces results. national team coach is a high pressure job and results (medals) are what count. elite sports are not fun or for the best of young people or whatever. gymnastics is just unique because the elites are that young (versus young adults or adults in other olympic sports). it is not about fairness at this level but about success and what are you willing to do for it. this goes for athletes and coaches alike.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back