WAG Qualifying for Level 9 Easterns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Completely depends on your Region. Region 6 is the smallest in the Eastern half, so relatively the "easiest" among eastern Regions. The Eastern half actually has more level 9 gymnasts than the Western half, so harder overall to qualify. This is mostly because Region 7 in so large(400+) and Region 2(125) is so small. The rest of the Regions are in the 200-300 range.
I can only assume you know more than me, so maybe my logic is flawed, but I still think it's "easier" to qualify in the east. Even if there are 10,000 more kids, if they are scoring lower than you it doesn't matter, right? Like look at these. In Region 6, the 34.00 makes it, in Region 1, the 37.350 doesn't. (I know I picked different age groups, I was just going for the starkest difference-that does matter I know) Am I crazy? I'm definitely not trying to be argumentative. Just curious....again, in the grand scheme of things I'm still a newbee at all this and not a coach! It's just intere
image.png
sting I think. I've felt guilty that we lost the location lotto in a way, but since Puma Jr is never going to the Olympics anyway, maybe it is better to live where she'd have a shot at Nationals someday? One of her teammates made L9 Easterns with a 35.675 and that probably wouldn't fly in most other Regions. Again, just interesting! :)

image.png
I can only assume you know more than me, so maybe my logic is flawed, but I still think it's "easier" to qualify in the east. Even if there are 10,000 more kids, if they are scoring lower than you it doesn't matter, right? Like look at these. In Region 6, the 34.00 makes it, in Region 1, the 37.350 doesn't. (I know I picked different age groups, I was just going for the starkest difference-that does matter I know) Am I crazy? I'm definitely not trying to be argumentative. Just curious....again, in the grand scheme of things I'm still a newbee at all this and not a coach! It's just intereView attachment 6167 sting I think. I've felt guilty that we lost the location lotto in a way, but since Puma Jr is never going to the Olympics anyway, maybe it is better to live where she'd have a shot at Nationals someday? One of her teammates made L9 Easterns with a 35.675 and that probably wouldn't fly in most other Regions. Again, just interesting! :)

@Mrs. Puma One thing I did see though is that the younger age groups tended to have higher scores in the top 7 and a larger group of girls and the scores and total number of girls/division were lower as age increased. Our gym had 3 girls qualify to nationals and a 4th would have been top AA in a different age bracket, that's just the way it breaks sometimes.

In most of the meets I have attended the top ~25% regardless of level/age are around 36.5+ for Region 8 this was 24% so still in line with most meets. However, by taking from age brackets instead of by only AA score someone from one of the oldest age groups scored in the bottom 15% overall, but has an opportunity to go to nationals. Maybe this helps even out the bad days and injuries, maybe this helps to keep the very youngest Jr and oldest Sr divisions striving in the sport... I don't know the reasons, but those are the rules, and to paraphrase a comment in another thread "gymnastics has never been fair." But as a numbers geek I totally get how you find it interesting. :D

@Mrs. Puma One thing I did see though is that the younger age groups tended to have higher scores in the top 7 and a larger group of girls and the scores and total number of girls/division were lower as age increased. Our gym had 3 girls qualify to nationals and a 4th would have been top AA in a different age bracket, that's just the way it breaks sometimes.

In most of the meets I have attended the top ~25% regardless of level/age are around 36.5+ for Region 8 this was 24% so still in line with most meets. However, by taking from age brackets instead of by only AA score someone from one of the oldest age groups scored in the bottom 15% overall, but has an opportunity to go to nationals. Maybe this helps even out the bad days and injuries, maybe this helps to keep the very youngest Jr and oldest Sr divisions striving in the sport... I don't know the reasons, but those are the rules, and to paraphrase a comment in another thread "gymnastics has never been fair." But as a numbers geek I totally get how you find it interesting. :D
You are absolutely right, that does seem to be the trend. I should compare the same age groups between different regions. I'm willing to bet that region 6 will still be lower. What I REALLY should be doing is laundry, but boy this is more fun! Lol!

Region 2 and Region 6 are typically the lowest # of competitors and the lowest scores needed. But based on previous threads, I wouldn't necessarily say they are "easiest" because there aren't as many high powered gyms in those regions, so it is actually harder to come by good training. Sure, the girls who make it to Nationals with a 34 get to go, but they don't tend to place as high when they get there. These Regions have not, at least in recent history, won any age groups at JO Nationals. So I feel like even though it's harder to qualify score wise in our region, my dd is ultimately better off for the harder competition.

For fun, here's how the qualifiers break down for L10, Junior D:
R8 - 1st place 37.775, 7th place 37.15
R7 - 1st 38.0, 7th 36.30
R6 - 1st 37.225, 7th 35.3
R5 - 1st 38.35, 7th 36.5
R4 - 1st 37.425, 7th 36.025
R3 - 1st 38.275, 7th 37.45
R2 - 1st 37.675, 6th 34.4 (they didn't even have 7)
R1 - 1st 38.475, 7th 37.70

Region 2 and Region 6 are typically the lowest # of competitors and the lowest scores needed. But based on previous threads, I wouldn't necessarily say they are "easiest" because there aren't as many high powered gyms in those regions, so it is actually harder to come by good training. Sure, the girls who make it to Nationals with a 34 get to go, but they don't tend to place as high when they get there. These Regions have not, at least in recent history, won any age groups at JO Nationals. So I feel like even though it's harder to qualify score wise in our region, my dd is ultimately better off for the harder competition.

R7 - 1st 38.0, 7th 36.30
R5 - 1st 38.35, 7th 36.5
Thank you! You saved me some time (back to laundry? Arrrrr....lol) And this is also a very good point about their training. The powerhouse gym an hour &1/2 from me had all twelve of their 9/10s make Easterns/Nationals, but it will be interesting to see how they do there. One of their superstars won her division at L10 this year and last, but came in 38th at Nationals last year. So though kids from Region 6 can make the cut with a lower score, I can only assume the top scores at the big dance won't be from here. Thank you fellow number nerds :)

R7 - 1st 38.0, 7th 36.30
R5 - 1st 38.35, 7th 36.5

Absolutely. "Easiest" only in terms of the chance of qualifying to Nationals from Regionals.

So though kids from Region 6 can make the cut with a lower score, I can only assume the top scores at the big dance won't be from here. Thank you fellow number nerds :)

It's also hard to say because of judging differences... for the sake of argument let's say that R6 judges consistently score lower than other regions... it could be that a 37.5 in one region would be a 38.275 in another. Until the top of the crop are all judged by the same group it's hard to say.

That said, as a spectator I know when I am blown away by a routine as opposed to simply being impressed. Regardless of where they come from and what nitpicks eagle-eyed judges may find... those are the ones that deserve recognition for excellence.

R7 - 1st 38.0, 7th 36.30
R5 - 1st 38.35, 7th 36.5

I guess Ally Raisman and Alicia Sacramone, had a hard time getting good training..... both from Region 6

And...both trained by the same coach. Of course there are individual excellent programs in every Region, but that level of training is harder to find overall in some Regions than in others.
Yes this. No where did I say you could not find good training.

Completely depends on your Region. Region 6 is the smallest in the Eastern half, so relatively the "easiest" among eastern Regions. The Eastern half actually has more level 9 gymnasts than the Western half, so harder overall to qualify. This is mostly because Region 7 in so large(400+) and Region 2(125) is so small. The rest of the Regions are in the 200-300 range.
I wonder why, then, the Regions aren't reconfigured? Especially on the East Coast if they are so small? I get that out west, the distance to travel is farther (so maybe that's why??) But I don't see why, for example, NJ and PA can't be added to Region 6 if their numbers are so small??

Seems like a lot of region 6 bashing going on....
No no! I'm from Region 6! Lots of love for Region 6! But we definitely do have less powerhouse gyms and fewer high level athletes than most other regions. Which is fine. I just find the demographics interesting. Sorry if I came off negative! Go Region 6! :)

I wonder why, then, the Regions aren't reconfigured? Especially on the East Coast if they are so small? I get that out west, the distance to travel is farther (so maybe that's why??) But I don't see why, for example, NJ and PA can't be added to Region 6 if their numbers are so small??
That would then make region 7 really small, as I think NJ & PA are the largest in that region. They would need to either add the remaining states to another region or pull some more states into region 7.

Reconfiguring to eliminate a region might mean less girls make it to regionals and I'm all for more rather than fewer girls getting the opportunity to compete at that level.

I can only assume you know more than me, so maybe my logic is flawed, but I still think it's "easier" to qualify in the east. Even if there are 10,000 more kids, if they are scoring lower than you it doesn't matter, right? Like look at these. In Region 6, the 34.00 makes it, in Region 1, the 37.350 doesn't. (I know I picked different age groups, I was just going for the starkest difference-that does matter I know) Am I crazy? I'm definitely not trying to be argumentative. Just curious....again, in the grand scheme of things I'm still a newbee at all this and not a coach! It's just intereView attachment 6167 sting I think. I've felt guilty that we lost the location lotto in a way, but since Puma Jr is never going to the Olympics anyway, maybe it is better to live where she'd have a shot at Nationals someday? One of her teammates made L9 Easterns with a 35.675 and that probably wouldn't fly in most other Regions. Again, just interesting! :)

Since you were comparing the oldest age group to a JR age group, you will find in pretty much every region that the oldest age groups at L9 (Sr 6- 8) are going to be overall lower qualifying scores compared to the other age groups as for the most part, the most talented kids are doing L10 at this age. If you look at individual regions, you will often see 34's in the higher sr groups going and 37s in the JRs not making it.
And, there is a lot of variation in sizes of regions and sizes of age groups. My dd just competed in a L10 age group of 30. The age groups for different ages and different regions varied from 3 (yes only 3!) to 35+ for L10. Before they added the 4 age groups for this year, there were age groups with 45. Even at L10 in our region the qualifying score (7th place) varied from a 37.4 to a low of a high 35.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back