WAG Qualifying Hopes vs Jr Elite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mama Duck

Proud Parent
My daughter will turn 11 next year and will be testing for the Elite Compulsory and Optional Qualifier next year. Since 11 is within the age range of both Hopes and Jr Elite, if you score high enough for the Jr Elite cut off can you still choose to compete as a Hopes athlete in the Challenge or do you need to compete as a Jr Elite? If you can choose, I would be interested in hearing what the advantages/disadvantages would be.

I believe you can choose. Advantages of staying Hopes - more chance of medalling maybe, less stressful, smaller competition.

you can't be Junior International until/unless you are turning 14 in the season that you will compete.
Several of the girls competing at Nationals this year were under that age, some only turning 12 this calendar year. Deanne Soza and Arianna Agrapides were both born in 2001 and National Team members Norah Flatley and Laurie Hernandez were born in 2000.

Norah Flatley and Laurie Hernandez are both members of the Junior National team at 13(and Laurie has gone on International elite assignments). I would say if you have a 12 or 13 year old that has the skill set and execution to have a shot at making the Junior National Team, then enter junior elite. If not, go the hopes route so they can gain the competition experience until they have the skill set to compete on that level.

What JO Level is your daughter? If she's not at least a 10, stay HOPES...

She is a JO Level 9, mainly because we don't want her to skip levels because of her age! However, she has been invited to all of the Developmental Camps this year and has made great progress and is having lots of fun. At this point, I feel that Hopes would be more appropriate but don't want to be "short-sighted" if there was a good argument that she should opt for Jr Elite if she in fact made the qualification score and there was the option to compete JE, instead of Hopes.

Several of the girls competing at Nationals this year were under that age, some only turning 12 this calendar year. Deanne Soza and Arianna Agrapides were both born in 2001 and National Team members Norah Flatley and Laurie Hernandez were born in 2000.
You can be a Junior ELITE at 11-15... but you can't be picked for an INTERNATIONAL assignment as a Junior Elite until the year in which you turn 14. At least that is how I am reading the requirements.

To OP, I would say that unless she KILLS it at the Qualifier (as in scores in the Senior Qualification Range) then she should do Hopes instead of Junior Elite. :) It's an age thing. Give her time.:cool:

You can be a Junior ELITE at 11-15... but you can't be picked for an INTERNATIONAL assignment as a Junior Elite until the year in which you turn 14. At least that is how I am reading the requirements.

To OP, I would say that unless she KILLS it at the Qualifier (as in scores in the Senior Qualification Range) then she should do Hopes instead of Junior Elite. :) It's an age thing. Give her time.:cool:
Not sure that's it either, as Laurie Hernandez was selected for an international assignment and just got picked for another. But I don't coach anywhere near the elite level, so it's all speculation on my part.
Regardless, there really is no sense in rushing to elite with not being able to compete as a senior elite until 16. And there are some great opportunities for kids at the Hopes level, it sounds like your DD has already had access to some of them. Let her test the elite waters for a bit, she's got time.

Thanks for this info raanndrops! It is starting to make more sense now.

Not sure that's it either, as Laurie Hernandez was selected for an international assignment and just got picked for another. But I don't coach anywhere near the elite level, so it's all speculation on my part.
Regardless, there really is no sense in rushing to elite with not being able to compete as a senior elite until 16. And there are some great opportunities for kids at the Hopes level, it sounds like your DD has already had access to some of them. Let her test the elite waters for a bit, she's got time.

I am assuming it's more of a "guideline" than a hard and fast "rule" (not like the must be turning 16 that year to compete senior elite rule)? Because Laurie competed in Japan this year, the year she turned 13, and Baillie Key competed internationally in 2012, the year she turned 13.

okay, clarify, clarify, clarify. they can't compete in Jezolo, Pan Am Jrs, etc; you gotta be turning 14 in that season. okay? JI is 14-15 and 364 days and SI is 16 and up. you want to be age eligible for the Olympics? you must turn 16 in the Olympic year. that means 16 by 12/31/16 at 11:59 p.m.

and if your 13 this year and will be turning 14 in 2014 then you can bump to "JI" after January 1st. i don't pay attention to how old all the kids are. but if they are turning 12, they can be on the junior national team cause we gots no juniors. capiche? Soza and Adrapides, no, not "official" JI's but on the "junior" team. but Flatley and Hernandez will turn 14 in 2014 thereby making them eligible for a "Junior" meet like Jesolo or Pan Am Jr's.

you understand? there are no juniors. btw, i love Soza. quite an athlete. :)

and what the heck meets are you talking about? they weren't "cup" meets. the rules are the rules. geesh.

Norah Flatley and Laurie Hernandez are both members of the Junior National team at 13(and Laurie has gone on International elite assignments). I would say if you have a 12 or 13 year old that has the skill set and execution to have a shot at making the Junior National Team, then enter junior elite. If not, go the hopes route so they can gain the competition experience until they have the skill set to compete on that level.

but they're not technically "JI's". yet. after Jan 1st they can be cause they will be 14 in 2014. now, what meets are you guys talking about. i AM at the elite level with an athlete and i don't know what the heck any of you are talking about. :)

I am assuming it's more of a "guideline" than a hard and fast "rule" (not like the must be turning 16 that year to compete senior elite rule)? Because Laurie competed in Japan this year, the year she turned 13, and Baillie Key competed internationally in 2012, the year she turned 13.

oh, that meet. it wasn't a "cup" meet. like Jesolo. there are only a couple of Jr. meets.

oh, that meet. it wasn't a "cup" meet. like Jesolo. there are only a couple of Jr. meets.
Yes, Key at Jesolo last year and Hernandez in Japan this year. I'm curious, which international meets are considered the "official" junior elite meets?

i'm sitting here totally confounded now. lol. how old was Bailey at Jesolo? i might start to sound stupid in a minute. it could be that FIG allowed them in under 14. i'll have to ask that next time i see somebody that can answer. there are no age eligible technical 'juniors' anywhere else either. at least not yet real elites. understand? scoring a 10.5 is not really elite at the elite level. lol.

a junior international must be 14 in that competitive year to be a "junior international elite".

and the same for a senior at 16.

i'll have to ask. :)

Yes, Key at Jesolo last year and Hernandez in Japan this year. I'm curious, which international meets are considered the "official" junior elite meets?

wait...Key in Jesolo in 2012? did she turn 14 before 12/31/12?

and Hernandez this year? 2013?? is she turning 14 before 12/31/13?

honestly Wandrewsjr, i know the kids but not their birth dates. it not just anything i have ever paid attention to.

wait...Key in Jesolo in 2012? did she turn 14 before 12/31/12?

and Hernandez this year? 2013?? is she turning 14 before 12/31/13?

honestly Wandrewsjr, i know the kids but not their birth dates. it not just anything i have ever paid attention to.
Key turned 13 in 2012, and Hernandez turned 13 this year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back