WAG Qualifying Hopes vs Jr Elite

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

the only 2 meets for juniors is Jes and Pan Ams. who knows...maybe they're letting them in younger. ya think i should know that...:)

I am more curious about the subject now, too, Dunno. It does seem a little crazy to be sending girls on international assignments 3 and 4 years before their Olympic cycle year, when presumably USAG would like them to peak. It would seem to me that getting international experience the year they turn 14 and 15 is plently of time, and competing them earlier is risky.

Key turned 13 in 2012, and Hernandez turned 13 this year.

lol. i'll have to ask why this is. maybe lemonlime knows what the requirements were for these 2 meets and including the Japan meet. if FIG changed the age requirements, then i must have been asleep at the wheel. lol

I am more curious about the subject now, too, Dunno. It does seem a little crazy to be sending girls on international assignments 3 and 4 years before their Olympic cycle year, when presumably USAG would like them to peak. It would seem to me that getting international experience the year they turn 14 and 15 is plently of time, and competing them earlier is risky.

yes, true. but they use the lesser rules in the junior meets. so it's not totally whack like the senior meets. lol

In the UK HOPES (aka. Espoirs) is age 12-13 (age by Dec 31st of competition year), Junior is 14-15, then senior 16+. S0 here, you have to compete espoir if you qualify elite at 12/13, junior at 14/15.

I don't know about Japan, Catherine Lyons and Georgia Mae Fenton represented UK and they are both 2nd year espoirs, so 13 by Dec 31st 2013. We do have some excellent juniors so I don't know why they were selected over them.

:quickgoogle: Apparently the age eligibility for Japan was turning 13-15 in 2013. Can international competitions set their own rules? Does FIG lay down rules as to what constitutes a Junior?

This is getting more and more interesting! dunno - I look forward to hearing what you find out as the "official" rules.

Thanks everyone - didn't mean to keep you up all night!

lol. i'll have to ask why this is. maybe lemonlime knows what the requirements were for these 2 meets and including the Japan meet. if FIG changed the age requirements, then i must have been asleep at the wheel. lol
Maybe it's some kind of post-Olympic year rule to encourage participation amongst juniors?

A little something new to add to this conversation ... just saw this posted on the Gymnastike site (posted 11/18/13):

"First year junior elite Irina Alexeeva of WOGA absolutely dominated her division of the 2013 Massilia Cup in France. She was competing in the Tournoi des Cigales portion of the competition open to French and international gymnasts aged 10 to 12 years. Alexeeva scored a 59.850 all around score to win the division by over eleven points. Her bar routine scored a 15.850. Alexeeva trains at WOGA."

It sounds like there may be some international meets that allow for the younger gymnasts to compete in.

Awesome job Irina!

I don't want to hijack, but noticed on WOGA's website that Irina Alexeeva has Russian flag by her name. Will she compete for USA or Russia? Or has that yet to be determined?

==
Purely speculation, but what a great motivator to get an international assignment! One of our jr boys has gotten two and he is really enjoying it (I don't coach boys at my gym so this isn't a brag). Also, lets see how these kids react and give them much needed international experience prior to showing up at the olympics. They have to compete, that's what keeps them going.

right ^^^and they used to compete more. but the code is so danged hard today that you can't compete them as often. but the preservation/conservation of their energy and hard landings seems to be working very well. can't argue about the success about our men's and women's teams. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back