Question about competitive "seasons"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Amber

Proud Parent
Hi all,
Just a quick question from a relative newbie: are there "seasons" for competitive gymnastics, and do they vary by region? We compete from January until early May, with a few exceptions. I see posts that someone was at a state meet recently, or just finished a competition. Summer for us, and nearby gyms, seems to be an intensive training period-for the next winter season. We are region 8, the southeast.
Just curious.
Thanks!
Amber

We are region 8 as well. Competition seasons vary from state to state and also depend upon the level. Traditionally, the compulsory levels are in the fall and the optionals are in the winter/spring but many states have 2 competition seasons for compulsory

Here in US optional is usually Jan to sometime in May ending with nationals. Compulsory can be fall or spring. Seems like other counties can be different as I see a post from recent Aus competition

Our season goes for 9 mo ths. The first competitions are usually in April working up to regionals in about May, States in June, nationals in July and then the team season starts with more comps running through to national clubs in November.

It really does depend on your region and each state within the region.

For example, I am also in region 8. Our optional and compulsory seasons are the same. Jan-May. The level 4 state meet is usually at the end of March, then we have the L5-10 State meet, and then the Xcel State meet.

In our region the compulsorys have 2 seasons one from sep - Dec and one from Jan - April,
The Optionals go from Nov - April with regionals, nationals etc usually in Mayish.
Every state does vary a little bit.

In our region the compulsorys have 2 seasons one from sep - Dec and one from Jan - April,
The Optionals go from Nov - April with regionals, nationals etc usually in Mayish.
Every state does vary a little bit.
I get stumped by the different seasons too. DD is in region 5, and her season generally starts in Nov/Dec; however some gyms host meets as early as Sept. her states for levels 4-10 are March to about May, and ten nationals obviously rounding out the season in May.
A good friend I met through here has been explaining her DD's season and it is very mind boggling. I guess any way you look at it the girls all get about the same. There are great points in all and probably some not so great but what can you do?

I am also in region 5, and our first meet this year was scheduled for October. Our last one was in May. Basically the only off season is summer :)

DD is in Region 8, but I sometimes think it can vary by state as well. She's level 5 and the compulsory season starts in late Aug. with Judges' Cup and the State Meet is in December. Optionals start in Dec. and compete until sometime in April/May (depending on whether they make Regioanls, etc). DD's team usually competes 2 meets past Dec. for fun, so they end in early Feb. But some of the teams they competed against in Jan from out of state were just starting their compulsory season with their state meet being in March.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back