Coaches Question to the coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipz

Coach
Judge
I work underneath the Head Coach to my program. I have a question that I would like you guys to weigh in on.

I constantly go back and forth with him about basics and foundations for our level 8's because I feel on every event but floor and vault they are WAY behind. He doesn't think they need more practice on the basics.

Here is my situation.

We have level 8's now training Double Layout on high bar and full outs etc. ITs great to see them doing big tricks, but they cannot even do a a simple routine (Back uprise Free hip Handstand, Blind change, pirouette) without .3 or .5 legs and arm bends and separations. This coach has told me he just cares about big tricks.

So finally here is my question

Should they even be thinking about double layouts or full outs right now? I feel they should spend their time on basic, clean routines before those skills simply because of form. They put all their attention on "big tricks" but lose so much on blind changes and pirouettes?

without good basics, seamless technique, good swing technique and good cardio conditioning, those girls will never be doing those big tricks at the end of a 10 element bar routine.

and your "vision" is closer to what will be needed in the long run.:)

and ask him this...when was the last time arkansas had a level 9 or 10 that placed on bars at nationals, let alone do a big dismount? the answer is below...:)

Thanks for your input, I guess I should have specified these are guys. Anyway, We argue all the time about this, at least I have a little confidence that I know something of the sport haha.

He also tells me all the time that one of our guys he sees as the next Johnathan Horton. When I tell him my opinion which is,"not with those basic swings and skills." he gets a little angry. He's not always happy with my opinion I guess

Flipz, stick to your guns. These guys need someone like you to eventually get to the point where they can successfully do these big tricks well!

As a coach, I would rather see the basics done right any day than a horribly executed skill. Infact, I get super excited when something is flawless and yawn when I see an ugly harder skill.

Thanks!! Before I posted this I was starting to question my view...saying maybe it will just "get better with time". Thank you guys!

L8 boys can really vary in talent and experience. You're also dealing with L8 boys/men so there is that male mindset.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back