WAG Questions about your gym and team program?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

1. There are five JO coaches, 2 xcel, 0 elite.
2. There are 80 girls on JO team, maybe around 40-50 (guesstimate) xcel and 0 elite gymnasts. There are 7 girls in the L9/L10 training group.
3. There are a zillion (seemingly) rec/pre-school kids
4. DD's gym does not have a required move-up score, but there is a tacit assumption that if someone is not regularly putting up scores that show competence -- if not mastery -- of a level then that child will not move up. Girls making 36s and 37s sometimes repeat. Girls making 33s sometimes move. In other words, the gym bases level progressions on the individual and not the score: the best policy IMO.
5. The team is very successful in the state (usually placing its teams in first or second at states) and competitive regionally as well. Three or four of its L9s and L10s made regionals. One L10 gymnast went to nationals. In general, one or two girls per year will continue with gymnastics in college, though not necessarily with scholarships.
6. No TOPS, thank the good lord. Although there are always a couple gymnasts who probably could participate if the gym made TOPS a priority.
7. I would say getting on team is difficult. Girls are identified out of rec/pre-school programs and -- although coaches might deny this -- there is clearly a preference for the small, muscular, naturally talented type. That's a reality of competitive gymnastics!
8. The L9/L10 group trains 18-20 hours per week.

Speaking up for small rural teams!
1. 3-4 team coaches, only JO
2. 11 optionals (L7-8 now, up to L10 as of last year), 9L5, 15 L4, about 10 "non-competing L4", then Hot shots
3. I think total rec is over 300
4. technically no required move up - but generally multiple 34s, occ. girl moves up otherwise, or stays back due to fear issues, etc....
5. reasonably successful at State - usually a few champions, a lot of podium time, rare to take 1st as team. Level 9-10 historically go to Nationals consistently - last 2 level 10s are doing college gym, D1, no scholarships but are competing
6. No TOPS
7. 2 routes to team - identified as preschooler, selected to be Hot shot and on team when HC feels ready to be training L4, 9 hours a week....OR up through rec level 3-4. We generally have more girls in the younger age groups at state, but have always had a few "older" gymnasts as well - if you have the skills and want to do the work you are a valuable team member! Body types do vary, but the sport does self select!
8. Level 8 and up (and a few L7 off and on) train 20 hours a week, occ a few more...That's really all that's available here...as a gym philosophy of balanced life....

1. How many girls team coaches do you have? Xcel? JO? Elite?
Around 6-8 including our dance teacher and people that coach 1-2 days. That is for team level 1-9

2. How many girls on team? Xcel? JO? Elite? How about L9/10's?
We start at level 1, our gym does AAU, USAG and Xcel depending on the level and how the kid is doing. We have a lot of level 1's and 2's probably 50 or more, about 12 level 3's, 5 level 4's 5 level 5's. No 6's (they do mod op or Xcel) 3-7's, 2-8's and 3 9's.

3. How many rec./preschool gymnasts are at your club per week?
Hundreds, we do preschool, rec. t&t and teen tumbling for cheer kids. We also do future stars for little girls.

4. Do you have a move up score at your club? What is it?
It used to be a 35 at 2 meets. I don't know now.

5. How successful is your team? How many gymnasts qualify to Westerns/Easterns or Nationals on a yearly basis? How many kids are doing gymnastics in college programs? How about L9/10 team success on the state level?
Hard to say as most of them only do AAU, recently we had 1 level 9 that did pretty well and went to bigger meets. We have had a couple go to D-3 schools. I feel like our gymis more of a relaxed almost hobby competition gym and there just isn't a big drive for the girls to go really far with it. I feel like atmosphere plays a big part in how successful your program is and if you have a more laid back casual atmosphere that is the kids it will attract and that is what they will strive for. I think its fine, our gym is very profitable and the kids are happy, parents are happy. I don't see hardly any of our kids thriving in a TOPS, hard core, 30 hour a week, selective program.

6. Does your club do TOPs?
No
7. How do you get on team at your club? How selective is it? Is it talent...age...body type selective?
Not at all since we start at level 1 you can join basically not being able to do anything. If the parents want to pay the kid gets in. We have young/old slim/not slim all kinds. Our kids actually do really well at our in state comps.

8. Does your club have gymnasts training over 20 hours per week at any level?
No, never. The 9's and 10's if we had them go a max of 15.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back