Parents Quick Booster Question...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

Any tax accountants out there?

I'm posting this to the parent forum because I need a few quick answers from around the nation about how Booster Clubs pay their coaches for meet fees/expenses.

Quick run down. My current gym's Booster Club writes a check to us coaches for only our meet expenses (mileage/food/lodging) and then writes a seperate check to our gym who then has to turn around and pay us for our session fee, just a flat fee per session regardless how long. The premise is they then don't have to withhold anything for pyroll/employee taxes.

I feel our time at meets is a professional service provided and we invoice them accordingly, via turning in a meet expense voucher. It is our (us coach's) responsibility to then claim that on our tax form as "tips, bonuses, etc." That is how I have handled it in past gyms. The reporting liability is on me personally for that extra time above and beyond my salary.

Our booster club wants to avoid any ambiguity (but I don't think there is any) of having to have/report/account for any employee withholdings... but I'm not their employee. That is the last treasurer's opinion, who is now not part of the board.

How do any of you Booster Club organizations out there handle this? We are a for profit gym that has a seperate parent Booster Club entity (not completely non-profit status... yet) that is organized to consolidate meet expense monies from their members and distribute as necessary.

I'm not an accountant, but I do know our booster club writes a check to the individual coaches for money for meets as well as travel expenses (if any--we only pay mileage, food, etc for away meets). The head coach sets the fee for the coaches when we do our budget each year.

Our booster club is non-profit (and have had that status for years) and our accountant that reviews our taxes, etc. has never said we're doing it wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back