WAG Quick critique?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Turk

Gymnast
I'm working on back handsprings and I'm supposed to stepout at the moment - my muscle memory is very strong and I was running the risk of having to undo a terrible snapdown later, so a stepout is keeping me in a more open shape.

Anyway, this is what it looked like on my last attempt tonight and I'm not in again until Tuesday, so I want to think about it over the weekend and about specific things I need to improve on. Any thoughts?

No practical knowledge to add, but I know you are a dancer, our gym would have a fit if you wore leg warmers to a session, slippage issues.

It looked quite slow to me, and that you are being lifted up and over. More propulsion required from your legs I would say.

I was "jumping too much, too high - less jump, more bridge" last week so I've been trying, but I think I've gone too far the other way on the jumping! I was jumping high enough to get a tuck in, so I think he wants less jumping until I have the shape better.

I'm careful with the legwarmers, they're normally up away from my feet but if I'm doing something with little risk of slip, or working dance skills, I'll pull them back down for a while. You can't see from the video, but I'm also wearing rhythmic half-shoes because I was working spins in between my times with the coach! Proper rebel, me ;)

Lift your hips up and reach back harder.
Yes, I paused the video and it's clear you need to reach back and arch more. Your arms should not be in front of your head or shoulders as you go back.
You should be arched here with your arms by your ears.
Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 10.27.50 PM.png

More like this:
BHS.jpg

I would also say that jump less is bad advice, you still need to jump but back not up. When you begin to go lean back, you are dropping you chest forward, which makes jumping back harder.
Screen Shot 2015-01-08 at 10.31.08 PM.png

Thanks, guys! I know my hip flexors have been tight since my hamstring injuries and although they're getting better with physio and stretching, I haven't got the hang of using them properly again. When I was working on back tucks with another coach, he kept having to shout "Thrust!" every time to remind me to push my hips forward. I'll try to be more mindful of them as I can really see it in the video now. I thought I understood when the coach said it, but it wasn't until I saw it that it really clicked!

I'll also try to lean back more to begin with instead of leaning forwards - I hadn't even noticed that one from watching it so thanks for pointing it out so I can work on it! :D

I will be back with another update on Tuesday, hopefully with some progress so we can see if I'm heading in the right direction with this.

Reactions: sce
Think of sitting in a chair, with your head and chest upright, then lean back until the point where you are just about to fall on your butt, that is the point of pushing/jumping back.

Think of sitting in a chair, with your head and chest upright, then lean back until the point where you are just about to fall on your butt, that is the point of pushing/jumping back.
Yes, I had to show this to my ds by pulling him by his shirt into that position. The second you feel like you need to take a step back jump in the backhandspring.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back