Coaches Quick verbiage for teaching back handsprings

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with this 100%. However, I took the OP to mean that he was just looking for different ideas for his verbiage than he already uses.

I took the OP the same as you, but then he qualified himself by stating that he would "smack" some people.

EDIT: I do like this thread...I just took offense to the above part. I'll lay off now.

Last edited:
Those that take offense to any of this simply didn't read the original post. Those that think I'm looking for a "magic word" really didn't understand the question. I was simply looking for what other folks say to help the kid better understand what I was looking for. I did get some different ideas as well as ones I would completely disagree with.
If there are those that don't understand how to teach standing back handsprings without the luxury of extra mats for drills, it's called spotting. That's where the coach has to work and move the tumbler through the shapes by hand.
I do understand those that suggest how they spot the skills. The part I didn't post is that these girls are 150 lbs or heavier and some are quite tall. There is no way I'm going to have any of them just throw a skill since there is a greater risk of injury with the bigger kids. This is also why I won't use the jump high and arch since this would make them come straight down and it is technically just wrong.

Thank you all for you input.

I remember learning it by sure visuals (obviously). When I've coached I've used to ASL signs for "LEAN" (but long and extended) then "SIT"-"POP" really quick. That's the beauty of ASL though, I can literally show what I mean which is great for demonstrating (different facial expressions, length of signs, emphasis, etc. change what I'm saying) It's always how I've understood it. I think that's how anyone translating for me would say it too. I've never really thought a lot about verbiage and coaching until this year in school so I love this thread!

Those that take offense to any of this simply didn't read the original post. Those that think I'm looking for a "magic word" really didn't understand the question. I was simply looking for what other folks say to help the kid better understand what I was looking for. I did get some different ideas as well as ones I would completely disagree with.
If there are those that don't understand how to teach standing back handsprings without the luxury of extra mats for drills, it's called spotting. That's where the coach has to work and move the tumbler through the shapes by hand.
I do understand those that suggest how they spot the skills. The part I didn't post is that these girls are 150 lbs or heavier and some are quite tall. There is no way I'm going to have any of them just throw a skill since there is a greater risk of injury with the bigger kids. This is also why I won't use the jump high and arch since this would make them come straight down and it is technically just wrong.

Thank you all for you input.

You're welcome. Let me know if you need any other "magic".

I remember learning it by sure visuals (obviously). When I've coached I've used to ASL signs for "LEAN" (but long and extended) then "SIT"-"POP" really quick. That's the beauty of ASL though, I can literally show what I mean which is great for demonstrating (different facial expressions, length of signs, emphasis, etc. change what I'm saying) It's always how I've understood it. I think that's how anyone translating for me would say it too. I've never really thought a lot about verbiage and coaching until this year in school so I love this thread!

I love this - I try and use words that have different lengths to convey speed of each part of skills but also hand gestures to accompany them. Your way sounds better!!! 1-0 to ASL.

I love this - I try and use words that have different lengths to convey speed of each part of skills but also hand gestures to accompany them. Your way sounds better!!! 1-0 to ASL.

:) Thanks. Are you using spoken english or signing? That's the beauty of ASL for explaining actions... it's a language based on visuals and actions! I can show speed, intensity, direction, number of times, etc. all by just using proper sign language to explain the drill. I can't wait to get an entire gym of Deaf and other kids who use sign (my life goal)! It'll make coaching so much fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back