Rec. Gymnastics- ARGH!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I've mentioned before that I'm in a place where club gymnastics is non-existant. If I wanted to coach at a club, I would have to travel at least an hour each way, and with winter weather being pretty unpredictable in this part of the country and working full time on a Masters degree, that's not really a logical option. So I coached a HS team and when the season was over was asked to help out at the local recreational program. They meet once a week in a school gym for 4 sessions about 5-6 weeks in length each. The gym is decent for what it is, but they pack about 50 kids into each session so it's VERY crowded, there is no freedom in setting up stations for your group, and you just kind of go where you're told for however long they tell you to stay there. As a result, the kids are pretty often running all over the place, not paying attention, not listening to directions, and just totally out of control.
To make matters worse, the powers that be have no concept of progressions. Kids who cannot do a passable handstand are thrown through bhs and girls who have never even heard of a tap swing are chucked through flyaways. As I was teaching the upper level rec girls yesterday, the "head coach" was on my case to push the kids to harder things, after about 5 minutes of tumbling the girls still couldn't show me decent ro-bhs and he informed me we NEEDED to move on to back tucks and layouts. One kid did a ro-bhs for the first time and wanted to move on to ro-bhs-back tucks. While it was powerful, it was out of control. I told her to try it because, what choice did I have? Her steps were off and she was totally out of control, she bhs INTO me and fortunately my arms were positioned in a way that I caught her feet, or else I probably would have had missing teeth, black eyes, and a broken nose- best case scenario. Even the more advanced girls in this group can rarely RO with a proper hurdle and land with their feet together, they are also totally lose and just all over the place.
We then did vault off an above ground tramp with an old vault horse attached to the side. The HC explained to them that to do this they had to reach down for the vault (and how many times do I need to remind kids to keep their chests up on the board?) and that when they landed they need to keep their chests down.
On bars, I had to spot kips- most girls don't have a decent glide. We then worked on back and front hips, which many cannot do unassisted and if they can, they're ugly- and the "head coach" comes over and informs me we NEED to get to flyaways. WHAT?! So I threw kids ages 11-14 (so not itty bitty ones) through flyaways for a few minutes. And boy am I sore today!
I really don't think I want to do this again after this session, and am only doing in the first place because I can't say no, but I hate that the parents in the area think this is quality gymnastics training. It's dangerous! I guess there is no point to this post other than wanting to vent to people that understand and saying how much I wish there were a USAG club around here. Hopefully none of your kiddos are at programs like this!

Lots of ibuprophen and heat before, warm soothing bath after, and a dart board with the H/C's picture on it, with a word bubble that says......They may not look good now, but just wait until the 2020 games! Can I say Yikes!!!! to that one dunno?

I know this sounds extreme, but...

Is there any way you could cobble together some funding and start your own program?

It sounds like there is BIG need for a good program (whether it is rec or team or a little of both) in your area and you seem like just the person to run it!

That is just a nightmare and dangerous too. I hope they are paying you well, if not I'd be telling them that I will only coach through progressions and not until the child is ready for the skill. You carrying big kids through BHS is just a good way to break your face.

I'd walk away asap.

By helping them coach this way you are almost condoning it just by being there.

This is an accident waiting to happen and when it does who's going to get the blame?

Sorry if it sounds harsh but I'm really shocked by your post.

I think you may have to leave as well. It sounds dangerous and I would hate for you to open yourself to any liability, as well as I know you would be very upset if a child got hurt in a preventable accident under your supervision (even when it isn't your choice). I just don't think you should take on this responsibility. It's so far beyond reasonable, I can't see it being productive or healthy for you.

Is this program run by an individual, or is it supported by a local organization or county government? Trying to figure out if there is anyone neutral you can talk to.

Thanks so much for all of the supportive feedback. rd7, your words were definitely not too harsh and something that I believe in very strongly. I've been showing up to coach and working in line with my own beliefs as much as possible in the past, this week the owner was just on top of me so it was simply not possible. Other coaches have left because of the lack of progressions and those in charge are well aware of this complaint, they just believe it is totally justifiable because the kids are only there for a limited amount of time and need to get in as much as possible.
The program is run by individuals, no affiliation with a local organization or "parent" facility. The individuals in charge have been doing it for years and viewed very favorably by anyone involved with any kind of gymnastics in the area (either this program or in the high schools). They are both very nice people and do have years of experience, one as a coach and one as a gymnast and a coach, it's just not apparent in watching them work in this environment and I really don't understand it.
I would love to start a decent program in the area, but I just don't have the resources to do that. There is a former DI program turned club team in the area that has a reasonably well equipped gym, unfortunately they don't let anyone use it. This is really the only game in town beyond a few county rec. center programs.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to let them know that I do not plan to continue, I'm just not sure if I should mention the reasoning behind this decision or not right now.
Thanks again for all the feedback, you have all been VERY helpful (as usual)!

If you are going to leave, do tell them exactly why. Change will never happen otherwise, and this is a very dangerous situation.

I think you should tell them very clearly. I'm surprised that these people seemingly have good credentials. It doesn't really make sense.

It does sound a lot like the gym we recently moved our daughter out of - kids being pushed along with skills they weren't ready for and without any sense of progression or proper technique. The only difference there was that they were mostly smaller kids and it was a gym not a high school programme. They were getting hurt though, all the time, from minor twists and pulls and bumped heads to worse stuff.
I have no idea how that system was put in to place, or why they thought they had to do things that way. It was clear that the parents didn't know any different and I thought it might be normal until I came on here.
I can't believe how different my daughter's new gym is. She's had her skills stripped back to undo bad habits, but the results are already really obvious and I couldn't be happier.

It's obvious that you know how wrong this is and that's an awful position to be in but if someone gets hurt, while your are working with them, it's your neck on the line unless you do something and that wouldn't be fair. I agree that you need to either try and get the coaching back on your terms, or walk away if they don't agree.

Having to take a problem to your boss is tough in any job. I feel for you.

WOW!!! I have nothing to add that's not already been said. But I WAS going to ask you about checking out that former D1 program. I do know that they don't use it all day, every day. If you put together a good, well thought out proposal, do you think they might consider allowing you to use the facility?

they probably would if it's age group and they could make a little money to justify the rental/use.

I've looked into it a little and apparently it is run, not by the school athletic dept., but by their student activities center and just don't want to deal with anything extra. They won't even let the local HS teams come in during off hours to use the equipment.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back