Reluctant gym dad

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

DC_dad

Hi everyone and apologies for snagging the title of a post below mine, I just couldn't think of a better way to describe myself that didn't sound like an AA meeting intro. I'm a single dad who's 9 year old daughter has been doing after school rec gymnastics through our city. She's started at an actual team now thanks to my sister, who is also a gymnast and apparently very active on this site. Gymnastics has always seemed like a crazy and expensive sport that sucks girls and their parents in. I'm thrilled my daughter is enjoying it but still pretty hesitant to be completely on board. That's why I joined this site, thanks to some "gentle" prodding from my sister. She says it's a great resource full of generally uncrazy people and will help change my attitude and answer my questions about the sport. I already paid the first couple checks for team membership and I think a uniform. I guess I'm sucked in now too.

Welcome!. Bri is a bright and active member of the board. She is full of insight and enthusiam and we have enjoyed being a small part of her gymjourney. I am a gymfan and gym aunt so I don't have to write checks but support my niceces whole hartedly. The people on this board are knowledgable and great at answering questions. Enjoy the journey!

txgymfan, Yep that crazy sister of mine would be Bri. She definitely has a big heart and big personality for such a small girl. My mom used to say she was the loudest cheerleader on her high school squad, despite not being able to talk. It's comforting to know that she turned out well while doing competitive gym. But that didn't come without sacrifices and I feel as though she went through a different gym at a different time with my mom looking over her. I'm still working on the "not screwing up being a dad". But from the sounds of it this site is the place to be. Thank you for the welcome!

Welcome! So glad your DD has found such joy doing the sport of gymnastics...must run in your family;)! Your sister & mother are both well respected on this site, any friend(relative) of their's is a friend of mine:D! Post away!!! We're sooooo happy to have you here:D!!!

Aw welcome to the CB!

We love Bri here, she is such an inspiration and a great role model. You are very welcome here, we have lots of Dad's who are trying work out why their kids love this crazy sport. Your mom gives so much sage advice, that is much needed and we have loved hearing about the new gym adventures of your little girl through Bri.

I live about 25 minutes from your Mom's home town in Quebec and find that I feel very connected to both Bri and your mom.

Stick around and ask as many questions as you like. We have lots of guys here, many of us are parents trying to work out how not to screw up, you are not alone here, EVER!

Welcome DC_dad. I was a gymnast and coach long before I was a Dad. For the first time, I am experiencing the parent side of things as my oldest daughter has begun competitive gymnastics. It's fun...especially when all the Dad's end up at the bar. :)

Hi & welcome. I think you will find a lot of great people here who can help you navigate the crazy world of competitive gymnastics. Your sister is an inspiration and always supportive & optimistic. She is so excited to be a Gym Aunt, your DD is lucky to have you both. hey, we are all trying to figure out this parenting thing, they don't come with instructions !

Welcome to the Chalkbucket!!! I am very familiar with the club your DD joined, and in fact, I do believe we will be at one of the same meets this upcoming season. It's still early in the planning stages, but we'll see.

Bri is a wonderful, smart, knowledgeable girl. You and your DD are lucky to have her in your lives and she is thrilled to become a gym aunt to your DD. This is a crazy, crazy sport sometimes. It's nice to be able to come here an vent any frustrations or craziness you'll see. Trust me... you'll see craziness...

Once again, welcome!

Welcome to the wonderful and crazy world we call Gymnastics. This site is awsome and there are alot of experienced parents, coaches and gymnasts here to answer questions, concerns or just cheer you and your DD on.

I think this sport is like any other. It "sucks you in" as much or as little as you want it to be. I was first sucked in with my son. At 3 he saw it on the olympics on TV and just had to do that - did it until he was 16 and dislocated his knee now he is a coach for the boys team he use to be on. DD didn't have a chance she was born into it - of course if Big Brother (her idol and still is) was doing it she just had to do the same and at 18 mos we started the Mommy and me classes because it was too hard to get her to sit in the bleachers and watch Big Brother. Next thing I knew I had 2 kids involved with Pre- team and Team. And her I am 16 years later still warming the bleachers at meets.

Looking back now I don't think I would change a thing. Gymnastics has given so much to my kids. It is the only sport that has the whole body involved in conditioning all the time. It definitly requires time management skills on the part of the kids so they can get school work done in the "free time" they have. It makes them perfectionist if they weren't one before which I think is a good thing. Makes them think on their feet and honestly I've never seen a gymnast on a team that wasn't an honor student - don't know how they do it but they do.

So remember even if you can't see the good of it - encourage your DD and never let her know you don't think this is the best thing since sliced cheese. Oh and if you can learn to do her hair for meets it will be a great bonding moment for you. I know my hubby tried to learn to braid and do the bun but alas he had no luck - he was all thumbs. Finally DD said to him - Daddy I love you but you just don't know how to do girls hair - I need mom to do it you can carry my gym bag to the meets instead.

Well at least she gave him a job to do LOL.

Oh wow, I didn't realize my mom was active on this site either. I guess this whole thing has become a family thing. Kind of reminds me of the time my sister got everyone in our immediate family to get a facebook... And thank you everyone for such kind words about Bri and my mom, I really hope I don't disappoint too much! I will be asking far more questions than my other family members because unlike those lovely ladies, I've never competed in gymnastics in my life. I can answer any questions that come up about the legislative branch or soccer. Probably not very helpful though. And also, thank you for the support.

And cher, you're scaring me! Provided Bri sticks around she is in charge of all hair related issues. If she's unavailable my daughter might be showing up with messy curls everywhere. Or a hairbrush stuck in them. But I can handle carrying a bag!

Welcome! Yes it's amazing how quickly we get sucked in, that's why I a soooo glad for this site. People like your sister really help with support and perspectives. Enjoy your daughters journey in this crazy sport :)

And cher, you're scaring me! Provided Bri sticks around she is in charge of all hair related issues. If she's unavailable my daughter might be showing up with messy curls everywhere. Or a hairbrush stuck in them. But I can handle carrying a bag!

LOL come on you can try a ponytail LOL.

My hubby says the same thing - he was glad when DD told him don't go near her hair - his words to me girl hair is too complicated he never got the how to braid thing. My DD has very thick long hair so after the pony tail is up we have to do several little braids and then pin them into a bun or the whole thing will fly apart when she tumbles (had that happen on her first meet years ago). Also found out that the cheapest superhold hair spray is so much better than the expensive stuff. Nothing like plastic coated hair LOL.

Yay you joined!!! And thanks soooo much everyone, you're all way too nice :) And yes I'll be going to school here this year so I'll do her hair. But don't think I'm not going to teach you a ponytail and a braid! You won't get off that easy mister.

Welcome DC_Dad! We have a few things in common - I'm also a single parent with a 9 year old who is starting her first year of team competition this fall. Gymnastics is also new to me and I've learned a lot in the brief time I've been on these forums. Good luck learning to be a gym dad (Bri will definitely be an asset!)

Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! Like everyone has said, the people on this site are great and always willing to provide helpful insights. It IS a crazy sport and it does suck you in - I don't think anyone here would deny that - but I also think we all agree that it is completely worth it. So many great life lessons come from taking part in any sport, but with gymnastics that is especially true.

My dad was always the "meet guy" when I was competing. It made my mom too nervous to go, so it was often just me and my dad. I think it was a great bonding experience for us and I hope you will find the same!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back