Reluctant gym mom

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Completely new here. I'm from SC, but a funny thing happened while on vacation in Champaign, IL last week. We were at a 4th of July picnic and we had been mingling with others and having a pretty good time. A stranger approached me and asked, "Is that your son playing on the rings over there?" I said "Yep." He said, "I am a gymnastics coach here in Illinois and you need to get your son into gymnastics as soon as you get home from vacation."

HUH? Now, ds6 does have the nickname "Cirque", but I NEVER thought of he might have a talent for gymnastics.....he is just a boy having fun, right?

Sooo, I take him to a "gym" to do a class and see if he likes it. (he did) The coach asked if ds6 was joining and how long had my son been in gymnastics (I said "30 minutes as of right now"). So I was then told that ds6 was "a natural" and would be placed on the "boys team" if he joined. Okay, so ds6 may be the next greatest thing, but he is 6 and a child.

So here I am now. All over the internet....looking for answers. Team gymnastics just looks like a high-pressure environment with lots of injuries if ds6 sticks around and wants to "compete". Is there any other way....maybe just do recreational (guppies/butterflies/sharks kinda thing)? How long can you do "recreational"? (even if you are a "great gymnast", you don't have to compete, right?)

Okay, all done. I don't want to put my kid in gymnastics, but I want to be a little open-minded and see what you guys give me for advice.

Please don't flame, either, I'm just trying to gather information. thanks

bcnlvr

Welcome! I think you'll find lots of great information here. I know nothing about boys' gymnastics, so no real advice from me, other than don't let anybody push you into anything you/your son isn't ready for... physically, emotinally, or financially. I'd say push for having him start in a rec class, at least for the rest of the summer, just so you both can get a feel for things. Also check into all of your gym options. If this ends up being a long-term thing, you'll want to be in the gym that's the best fit for your son and the rest of the family, which won't necessarily be the one that's closest geographically (if you're lucky enough to live in an area with multiple gyms to choose from). I think you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and a good sense of humor... If you can manage to keep both, I think you'll make an excellent "gym mom" if that's the path your son ends up taking. Good luck, and keep us updated on how it's going!

I have two sons and one daughter in this sport. It CAN get crazy, but imho, the boys side is much less so-boys take a lot longer to hit their peak(early 20's as opposed to about age 16 for girls). If he enjoys it, why not let him try it for awhile? for some reason, gymnastics sometimes gets a bad rep, but really, its a competitve sport with much the same issues as ANY competitve sport you son might get into(football, soccer, baseball,wrestling, swimming).
My older gymmie son started because he couldn't stand the thought of his little sister getting so much stronger than he was, lol. There are definite advantages to boys who are in gymnastics. The conditioning is absolutely stellar...he will be in better physical condition than any of the other boys on, say, his baseball team, etc. which will only help him be a better all around athelete, if he chooses to play other sports.

My advice is, don't be afraid of it...just see where it goes. Kids change their mind about stuff all the time-no harm done. This should be the time when he is trying different activities and seeing all the fun stuff that is out there. I maybe wouldn't commit him to team right away-(especially if he isn't used to the structured practices!) tell the coach you just want him to get his feet wet first, so to speak. And welcome to the chalk bucket!! Glad to have you here!!

Keep in mind that most people on here are talking about girls gymnastics and the boys side is MUCH more laid back. Usually boys of the same age and intro competitive level train less then the girls and the routines are less complex. Many gyms don't have a very big preteam or "developmental" program for the boys side, so it's not very uncommon that when a boy with potential is spotted, he might be offered to just practice with the team until he is ready with basic competition routines. Which for a boy who is highly active, athletic, and strong, to do the basic boys level 4 routines, could be just 6 months or so (not saying he'd be the best out there, but he could probably get the skills). In boys level 4 they technically don't even have to do handsprings, and the vault event is just a jump into the air focusing on speed and good landing form.

Also, the lower hours generally translate to less injury and burnout. Most boys who leave seem to do so amicably, most are leaving around an older age because they've decided on another more popular sport (i.e. soccer, etc). Of course all of this is program specific so you have to look around and inquire about the details of the program you are enrolling in. If there are other area gyms it might not hurt to call them and compare while you're just starting and not tied to a certain place. They may have a boys advanced class that he can try for awhile rather than committing to team.

But I really think you have less to worry about than a cursory read of some of these boards may suggest. In general there is less drama and angst on the boy's side.

Ohhhh, I am feeling much better having read the responses so far. (breathing helps, lol). There are multiple gyms in my city (no kidding like 8 within 25 miles of my house). I am starting the fun and exciting process of finding the right one (too many clothes and nothing to wear, right?....I am not complaining!) Thank you for your kind responses. I will keep you posted! So far, even for the boys team it is twice a week for 2 hours each. I think that's doable.

bcn

Welcome! My ds (14) started competing at age 6. He no longer does gymnastics but does do just about every other sport (he competed for 3 years). He still remembers his competitive gymnastics days fondly. I truly believe it provided him with a great foundation for all the other sports he does. It created in him an incredible work ethic and he is still really strong. Obviously, you have to do what is right for your family but I found it to be a wonderful experience for him. My dd (9) now is in competitive gymnastics and it is a very positive experience for her as well. Good luck as your gymnastics journey begins ;)

Hi and welcome! I am new here too as my daughter was just invited to participate in the "pre-team" program at her gym. Definitely take a few minutes to get your head around all of this, it definitely caught me by surprise and didn't realize everything there is involved if you continue with the gymnastics route. I also have a son who is 2.5 yrs old and I joke that I'm not letting him go to gym because they will snag him too :).

Here are a few of my thoughts that I have come to over the past few weeks as we have been deciding what to do. First, definitely see about trying out a summer class or a rec program for a little while to make sure it is something he wants to do, which is sounds like he did like it at his initial class but of course it is fun and new to him. Maybe ask if he had to choose between gym vs. his other activity, which one would he choose? Not that you would make him choose, but that could give you an idea of how much of an interest there is for him. It is so hard to know how well he will do in the coming years, but if he loves it has that "natural talent", why not let him try it if he is interested in going to the next level?

It is definitely hard as parents to figure out what is the best and most appropriate route for our kids. I know I've said that I really hope DS doesn't take an interest in hockey because I just couldn't handle that....but if that is what he wanted to do, I would figure it out I guess.

Good luck in your decision and definitely come ask more questions as I am sure more will come up.

Hi and welcome :)
I have two children in gymnastics. We don't live in the US, so our levels and training structure are somewhat different.
DD (now 8.5 yrs) started when she had just turned six. First year was a rec prog, training for two hours, once a week. Second year the hours increased to 2hrs twice a week. This year she trains 8 hrs per week and still loves it.

DS (now 11yrs) started when he was 8 years old. He never really mentioned wanting to try gymnastics, he sort of fell into it when his sister started. The boys coach asked him if he wanted to join in rather than watch, and the rest was history.
He started in what was basically a rec prog, 2 hrs once per week. After six months he was asked to join the boys team, hours increased to 4.5 hrs over two days. Six months later, increased to 6 hours per week. This year he is training for 10 hours per week over three days and still loving it :)

Just like you, I can remember first finding the chalk bucket several years ago, reading some of the threads and thinking "oh my gosh what have I gotten us into?"

Gymnastics has given both my children so many more benefits than just the skills they have learned. Yes they are very flexible, very strong and physically in great condition. They can do lots of cool tricks.
The physical benefits they get from gymnastics has helped them tremendously in other sports. They have strength and stamina beyond their years. They tend to ace any physical tests at school based on strength and/or flexibility. Both made the school swim team this year even though they stopped swimming lessons 18 mths ago. DS soccer ability has improved out of sight, simply because gymnastics has made him fitter and stronger.

Just as importantly they have also learnt that nothing can be achieved without hard work. They have learnt to be self sufficient and independent. They have made great friends of varying ages. They have found some wonderful young adults to emulate and be mentored by.

I do find the boys program to be more laid back than the girls. The routines are shorter, and there seems to be less of a rush to hurry through the levels.
My advice would be that if your son seems to like gymnastics, try a rec program for a few months first. It will give both of you a chance to test the waters and assess things. Gymnastics training is quite structured and can feel quite repetitive and not every kid enjoys that. Your son may decide after a few months that he hates it or he may really love it.

Thank you for all the great information and advice. I think I am okay with all this now. We are going to start once a week (2hours) and see how it goes. Phew! I was panicking there for a sec! lol

bcn

also a reluctant gym mom

You should definitely find a gym where he can have fun and that it is low pressure to begin with. It can be alot of pressure if you let it be. I am also a reluctant gym mom but of a girl. This last year has been a whirl wind for us as well. She loves to tumble and is extremely good at it. She was in dance before and gymnastics was just a fun thing she did in the summer. She started out in the lowest level of gymnastics last August has charged through all of the rec levels. Two weeks ago her tumbling coach starts talking about pre-team (cue the scratchy record noise). I know nothing about gymnastics and cover my eyes/mouth on a regular basis to keep from screaming out loud when she does something dangerous. The other parents just look at me like I am going off the deep end. I let her do it because it brings her joy - she laughs the whole time except for last week. Last week was the first time we have had major tears because she wasn't enjoying being picked apart by her coach and he wasn't inclined to explain what exactly he wanted from her. She's not interested in competing, I don't encourage it nor do I want to deal with the politics of it, but her coach has other ideas. I will let her continue until it isn't fun for her anymore.

I found a low-key gym about a mile from my house. We plan to EASE into the waters next Wed. I will let y'all (yes, I had to throw in some Southern) know how it goes!

Dinkalina, I agree about the politics. At one gym we visited (very big and busy one) I could sense an "undercurrent" of something I couldn't put my finger on. It wasn't a good feeling and I think that politics may have something to do with it.

bcnlvr

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back