WAG Removed the "dick" thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

there are degrees of appropriate. Think PG vs PG 13, vs R.
Hopefully we can agree to disagree. I'm totally fine with however anyone feels about the quality/freshness of my posts but I actually thought some of the older one liners crossed the line. When I saw the first post about the anniversary of the mount I reported it to the admins b/c there was no context (Bog can back me up on that). Once I saw the context and 12 or so pages of posts, I joined in. I can understand it getting old for those that had been following/contributing to this thread for a year but I wasn't the only one contributing. Also, in my opinion, that's not a reason to remove a thread.

That having been said I'm sure there are probably minors on CB so it's surprising that it was okay for over a year. It also saves me from potentially having to explain myself to my dd at some point in the distant future.

While young teens may have heard worse amongst their peers they don't need to read adults making comments like that. I thought the thread was hillarious, but I did forget that we have young ones reading and even posting. I have a 16 year old dd and wouldn't want her to happen upon that thread. Even worse if my 12 year old dd was sitting next to her while reading.

I find it interesting how adults seem to think they can shelter their 10+ age children from questionable content. Your kids are at school all day and have certainly heard (and, gasp, possibly said) much worse than what was in that thread. They probably hear this stuff on a regular basis, too. Honestly, any kid under about 10 isn't going to understand most of the jokes that were made, and once they are old enough to do so, it's too late to "protect" them. I think the really harmful discussions are those that promote unhealthy or unsafe mindsets about sex, or those which are derogatory sexually - not a bunch of parents having a bit of lighthearted and lewd wordplay. Just my opinion :)

Despite the fact that "kids read worse than this" etc etc We still have to be the ones who decide what they can be exposed to here. We allow 14+ and therefore we have to think about what we want kids to stumble across on this forum.

In the light of Nassar, and other abusers, we also need to be keenly aware of the sexualisation of gymnasts and the abuse that happens. At this point the thread is filed away in the back office, I imagine that is where it will stay.

In the light of Nassar, and other abusers, we also need to be keenly aware of the sexualisation of gymnasts and the abuse that happens. At this point the thread is filed away in the back office, I imagine that is where it will stay.

10,000% this!

Despite the fact that "kids read worse than this" etc etc We still have to be the ones who decide what they can be exposed to here. We allow 14+ and therefore we have to think about what we want kids to stumble across on this forum.

In the light of Nassar, and other abusers, we also need to be keenly aware of the sexualisation of gymnasts and the abuse that happens. At this point the thread is filed away in the back office, I imagine that is where it will stay.[/QUOTE
I agree. It's a slippery slope.

I find it interesting how adults seem to think they can shelter their 10+ age children from questionable content. Your kids are at school all day and have certainly heard (and, gasp, possibly said) much worse than what was in that thread. They probably hear this stuff on a regular basis, too. Honestly, any kid under about 10 isn't going to understand most of the jokes that were made, and once they are old enough to do so, it's too late to "protect" them. I think the really harmful discussions are those that promote unhealthy or unsafe mindsets about sex, or those which are derogatory sexually - not a bunch of parents having a bit of lighthearted and lewd wordplay. Just my opinion :)
Well I for one do think I can shelter my kids. 10 is way too young for a lot of what goes on in the world. To assume they will hear it all and then some at school is giving up on keeping things age appropriate. Just because you think they hear it doesn't make it ok. I work in a school and they don't hear things like this where I live. The most they talk about is who is cute or not.

I have 4 teens and have been pretty successful at keeping things away from them that I don't want them exposed to. To just let them be exposed to anything and everything because you figure they have already been isn't helping the situation. Kids should be kids for as long as possible. I don't want them growing up too fast and to start talking about, watching or doing adult things prior to becoming adults. I will do my part to keep my kids away from this stuff.

I am in favor of removing the thread even though I happily contributed to it. I was hesitant to contribute at first, but was caught up in the social aspect. Upon hindsight, I agree it (and I was a part of it) crossed the line for this community. Thank you to the moderators for all the transparency on the matter!

We had Asian chicken meatballs for dinner last night................... The gut busting laughing that went on with us and the 11 yo. I mean its redundant to say chicken meat balls but then the other meats are not named after the animals...................... Kids they know

Well I for one do think I can shelter my kids. 10 is way too young for a lot of what goes on in the world. To assume they will hear it all and then some at school is giving up on keeping things age appropriate. Just because you think they hear it doesn't make it ok. I work in a school and they don't hear things like this where I live. The most they talk about is who is cute or not.

I have 4 teens and have been pretty successful at keeping things away from them that I don't want them exposed to. To just let them be exposed to anything and everything because you figure they have already been isn't helping the situation. Kids should be kids for as long as possible. I don't want them growing up too fast and to start talking about, watching or doing adult things prior to becoming adults. I will do my part to keep my kids away from this stuff.

I honestly believe parents who think they can keep uncomfortable truths from their kids don't fully comprehend the extent to which information is available these days. Which is better: for a child to gain garbled facts meant to terrify or disgust from an internet site, or for it to be exposed to them and discussed maturely with parents?

The students at the school you work at swear, and say lewd and possibly awful things to "show off" in the school yard. Of course, not in front of the teachers, but they do it! Outside of school, some of them do drugs, lots of them drink, and a couple of them smoke. Quite a few of them are having intimate relations with each other. Obviously, not all of the students partake in these behaviours! But every teenager has definitely been exposed to it.

Parents think their kids aren't exposed to horrible stuff, but they are, and if the parents don't accept that, the kids may have to deal with it alone. When I first started using the internet without parents around, I was 9 or 10; I saw lots of things that I possibly shouldn't have at that age. For the most part, it turns out fine anyway. But think about the parents who are shocked when their radicalised children run away to join IS: "my child is so innocent, s/he would never do that!" Parents underestimate the ability of their children to find and be influenced by information - and their ability to hide what they're thinking from their parents.

Anyway, I'm not a parent, I'm only 17. All I can do is give my own personal experience as a teenager, which is not nearly as sheltered as my parents think it was. This is why I feel that exposure itself is not a problem; the harm is when exposure to "adult" topics is unsafe.

Okay this is not a thread for debating who's the best parent etc etc. We all have our own ways, and they work for us.

Thread closed. Move along, nothing more to see here.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back