Parents Results with PRP?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Skysthelimit

Proud Parent
My daughter has had elbow issues since she had Tommy John surgery in 2018. She fractured it before level 10 regionals this year and while the fracture has healed she now seems to have tendonitis and is getting PRP. Would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly with your child's PRP experience.

It helped with my daughter's partially torn hamstring but it was not a miracle. After the treatment, there was definite improvement but the doctor said that there was still a part that had not healed and likely was permanent damage.

A non-gymnast family member did it. I don’t think their injury would have improved as much as it did without it, but it wasn’t a magical fix and they still have mobility limitations in that joint. It was recommended to me for Achilles tendonosis but with the caveat that it was in the “won’t hurt but we don’t know how and if it helps” category. I haven’t heard anything bad except that it isn’t covered by insurance. It’s definitely something to try when you’re out of proven options- sounds like she is in that situation. I’m sorry.

If she hasn't had it yet, be prepared. It's extremely painful. We weren't prepared for that and when they were doing the injections (along with some dry needling), I saw my very stoic daughter crying in pain. Turns out that they are essentially reinjuring the area to get the body to respond to try and heal it. Again, it really did help my daughter but not being prepared made the whole experience traumatic.

My daughter had it done on her ankle. I think it was the final option we had left, and I think it did help as she did get back to gymnastics. It is still considered "experimental" which means insurance won't cover it. Also, the healing time can be quite long at least 4-6 weeks and then back slowly again. So be prepared to come back very slowly. Several other people I know have had it done and yes it does hurt a lot, but most of these folks are happy with the results. However, these folks are older runners, not young gymnasts. Overall, I am glad my daughter had the procedure, I guess I wish we had done it sooner since the healing time took longer than we expected.

If she hasn't had it yet, be prepared. It's extremely painful. We weren't prepared for that and when they were doing the injections (along with some dry needling), I saw my very stoic daughter crying in pain. Turns out that they are essentially reinjuring the area to get the body to respond to try and heal it. Again, it really did help my daughter but not being prepared made the whole experience traumatic.
She was prepared for it because a few of her friends went through it. I had my husband take her, I don't think I would have been good support for her. She almost threw up from the pain. :(

My daughter had it done on her ankle. I think it was the final option we had left, and I think it did help as she did get back to gymnastics. It is still considered "experimental" which means insurance won't cover it. Also, the healing time can be quite long at least 4-6 weeks and then back slowly again. So be prepared to come back very slowly. Several other people I know have had it done and yes it does hurt a lot, but most of these folks are happy with the results. However, these folks are older runners, not young gymnasts. Overall, I am glad my daughter had the procedure, I guess I wish we had done it sooner since the healing time took longer than we expected.
Thank you for this. The cost was tough to swallow ($1,250) but hopefully it works. We are a week out and she has stayed off it but still cant straighten her arm. I know younger bodies heal quicker so I am praying that she can slowly start back in another week (Dr wanted her off it for 2 weeks).

She was prepared for it because a few of her friends went through it. I had my husband take her, I don't think I would have been good support for her. She almost threw up from the pain. :(
Sorry that it was so painful but fingers crossed it helps it heal quickly. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back