Ripping a lot!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

DD got her first rip in Level 4 last year and then would get one from time to time. Lately since moving to level 5 her hands have been a mess. Just when 1 rip starts to heal she gets another one. She doesn't really complain about them and she still does bars, but is it normal at this level for their hands to just be constanly a mess? Is she using too much chalk, not enough chalk? She does bars only 3 times a week and their rotations are about 45 minutes.

Then to add to her rips she fell on the concrete while playing and scraped the palms of both hands.

Yep. Absolutely. Our gym does not allow grips until L6 and MANY of our L5's were in a constant state of rips this season, especially in the spring and summer when they were first learning those kips and tap swings. Some girls continue to struggle with the rips (it is the ones who are not yet confident on the kips)...but many of them are doing ok now. My DD had a bad one the week before state meet which was the first one she had in about 2 months. We find the bag balm-in-the-socks-at-night trick to be really helpful. It will get better for your DD. Does she wear grips/is that an option for her?

Sorry she fell on the concrete. Poor thing!!

Are her hands soft? What do you use?

In the 'old' days. meths or alcohol were suggested to dry the hands up (and even worse for the rowing boys), but these make skin harder, which isn't great..as soft skin rubbing on hard skin whilst on bars is what causes blisters and catches which then rip.

Using a fatty cream or similar when not at gym to soften skin and pumice to remove hard lumps is good. if really bad get some good cream and plaster it over hands, thenwrap in gladwrap overnight to really soften them up. When you get a rip, paw paw ointment as soon as you training finishes is great!!! our step 8-9 gymnasts swear by it.

And use acqeous cream to wash, even normal soap when washing hands afetr toileting etc can really dry out hands.

Oh i remember that stage lol. I think what happened with me is the rip would dry and crack, then that's why it kept ripping. This is what i always did. Once she gets a fresh rip, lay her hand under the sink foset with hot water, even if it hurts. It stings at first, but trust me after a few seconds the rip feels good. Then use the "bag" method. Put ointment on and then put a sock or bag over it overnight. Just keep putting lotion on it, because cracked rips are much worse.

I have this product I got from DGS call hand - e- balm and your rub it on the rip each night and it really helps. I have also found that keeping your hands moist with lotion also helps. Another thing that seems to help prevent rips for me is cutting off my callouses, some use a pumice stone also.

I have noticed my dd getting more rips since starting level 5 training. I have started using the Joshua Tree balm on her hands each night and it really works well!

She doesn't wear grips and I've never put anything on them. Thanks for the advice.

Only thing i can say is that she might be ripping a lot because shes death gripping the bar. i went through that stage when i first started do skills that required more swing. most of the time its because the gymnast is scared or doesnt trust theyre grips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back