WAG Rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I barely have any skin left on my hand. Its horrible. My rips literally don't heal. Today at practice, i couldn't hold on to the bar so i peeled off and landed head first, and it just gets me soo mad. My coach made me sit out. Do you know how frustrating it is when your doing your favorite event, and you try too get back up on that bar but you cant. I am going too lose my skills soon if i cant seem too be able too practice. I have a rip bigger than a quarter on both hands! And smaller ones around it too. I'm serious they don't heal. I will go 2-3 weeks without bars and they still wont be healed (just experienced that because the gym was closed for a while for some reason).

I need some tips on how too help them heal. No one in the whole entire gym rips as bad as me. I barely have any skin left on my hand. Its horrible. My rips literally don't heal. Today at practice, i couldn't hold on to the bar so i peeled off and landed head first, and it just gets me soo mad.
Please help

Thanks,
Katie

Last edited by a moderator:
Kaite, I know how frustrating it is not to be able to do your favorite things. I edited your post because you wrote the same thing twice. I'm sure I should have left it alone, I've been editing too much of my own writing lately. For rip heal suggestions try searching the CB archives by typing in "rips" in the top right corner search box. I hope your hands heal soon.

Put vasaline (spelling?) on your hands and sleep with it. I usually put a sock over my hands so it doesn't get on my sheets.

Diaper cream. No bandages. Just diaper cream. No polysporin or lotion or anything else. You want your skin to toughen, not soften. Once they do heal, make sure to use a nail file to file down your callouses.

You can get DuoDerm on Amazon for a "reasonable" price. I picked that up after seeing it suggested by the USAG doctor. Works fairly well and stays on during regular activity.

Ds had the worst rip, it was horrible, and even cracked during a meet. I started using new skin ( the spray, he said the liquid burned) and that made a huge difference. We also did vit e and socks to bed but that didn't work well until we did the new skin. I found this article extremely helpful as well. https://gymnasticszone.com/the-treatment-of-rips-on-gymnast’s-hands/
Hope you heal soon!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been there and done that!!!! My coach always told me to sleep with a wet tea bag on it. I have done it many times and it has worked!!!! I usually put gauze over it to hold on on better.

I use paw paw cream every night and multiple times in the day when I have a rip. They usually harden up enough to continue training but not completely healed in about 2-3 days.

Also I have found the best way for me to reduce rips is strapping tape. I think this only works if you wear dowel grips but I use to rip literally every training and sometimes they would bleed and now I rarely rip and I'm training bars a lot more as my hands aren't always sore.

So now every time I train bars before I put on my grips I wrap strapping tape around my hand just under my fingers, so it is two pieces thick on the palm and one piece thick on the back of my hand. To stop it sliding down i cut a small finger hole in a piece of tape which you then put your middle finger through and stick this piece of tape under piece wrapped around your hand. Note do this before wrapping the other piece around your hand as it will stick better. Add more tape when needed eg when you have rips lower on the palm of your hand you may want to wrap another piece around that part of your hand.

I really think you should try it as it also makes the chalk stay on longer as it sticks better to the tape and reduces the friction between your hands, grips and the bar. It also reduces the pain when training with rips.

My daughter would get bad rips about the same size. Her coaches would tell her to soak her hands in alternating tubs of hot water and cold water, back and forth several times. Her hands healed really fast.

Lots of lotion. There is this stuff called second skin that you can put on your rips and they don't hurt at all when you do bars. It's amazing.

I second the person who said preperation H. I literally get rips every practice like you and I put it on after a shower that evening. It heals them super quickly. If its still there, then tape up your hands for practice and it'll hurt less. Just don't go around telling people that you use Preperation H on your rips...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back