Coaches Rules for Scratching

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ac7179

Coach
Proud Parent
I have an athlete that has a conflict with an upcoming meet. She is only a Level 2, and the meet starts at 8 am. She has to leave at 11:00 am. I am going to put her first up on our last event and hope we can get her through on time. However, if not, she will have to leave before the last event.

I can't remember the rules on scratching. Will she have to forfeit her achievement ribbons on the three events she did compete on if she is not there to physically touch the last event?

maybe. seems to me you should let the meet director know. i may have asked this before, but are you a coach? her coach? if you're not, you don't need to remember anything.

let her coach know and they'll take care of it.

Thanks.
I am a coach, her coach, back in the game with a small group of Level 2 and 3s after about 10 years out of the sport. My rule book wasn't handy and the mom just emailed me about the conflict this morning. I remember the scratch rule, but since the last time I coached, Level 2s didn't even COMPETE, I wasn't sure if it was strictly enforced for achievement levels. I'll contact the meet director if the mom decides to attend the meet.

I've never heard of this, and even if there was some such convention I really doubt that anyone would go to the effort of enforcing it at a level 2 meet. That said, you need to let the meet director know so it doesn't mess up their score input, or so you can be put in the first flight.

Thanks.

When my oldest daughter competed Level 5 (ten years ago) she got sick and had a fever of 101. She had rocked floor as her first event, so when we said we were scratching her the judge said she had to touch each event to remain eligible for her floor medal. Kinda stupid, but I thought it was widely done. Isn't that why Nastia had to touch vault and floor at Olympic Trials? Not for the medal, but to stay in the competition?

Like others have said, talk to the meet director. If she won't have time to compete the last event, it is possible that she could "touch" and scratch in between gymnasts on that event. We have had that happen before... but in the case that I saw, the girl was going to the ER as soon as she scratched beam (her last event). She had popped her knee out on old L5 bars (of all things, her high bar kip... but she finished the routine and landed on 1 foot with an extra 8" mat under the bar for a shorter drop) and needed to go have it reset. Her mom had crutches handy (the girl has a history of this type of injury and the crutches were in the car), so our HC talked to the beam judges after the next girl finished and they had one more go, then our gymnast was able to hobble over and scratch... then off to the ER.

Like others have said, talk to the meet director. If she won't have time to compete the last event, it is possible that she could "touch" and scratch in between gymnasts on that event. We have had that happen before... but in the case that I saw, the girl was going to the ER as soon as she scratched beam (her last event). She had popped her knee out on old L5 bars (of all things, her high bar kip... but she finished the routine and landed on 1 foot with an extra 8" mat under the bar for a shorter drop) and needed to go have it reset. Her mom had crutches handy (the girl has a history of this type of injury and the crutches were in the car), so our HC talked to the beam judges after the next girl finished and they had one more go, then our gymnast was able to hobble over and scratch... then off to the ER.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. At all the meets I have judged, if a gymnast is injured and therefore not finishing the meet, we go ahead and enter 0s for her remaining events. No hobbling up to equipment required.

Yeah, safety is supposed to be the first priority for the meet director (on a USAG event). If there's any situation where safety is compromised they err on the side of caution even if it means bending the rules (for example they can allow extra warmup time if something delayed the competition to an unreasonable extent).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back