Parents Score too high?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymdoc

Proud Parent
ODD is a repeat L6 (we are at a no giants, no L7 gym). Had her first meet this weekend, and her floor score was WAY higher than last year. All the floor scores were high, so I think the judges were just generous or tired or something. I don't want to burst her bubble, but I do want her to have some REALISTIC expectations for future meets. So can you take a peek at her L6 floor and tell me what you think it would have scored?

I haven't posted video before so let me know if that doesn't work

9.5ish? It's very nicely done.

Scores can range from meet to meet, but placements usually tell the tale. She may be scoring higher because she's had a year to settle into the routine. Have you looked at one from the beginning of last season to see the difference? Whenever I do that it's pretty illuminating.

I'm not an expert but that looks like a routine that would easily score 9.4-9.5 around here. Maybe even higher at a higher scoring meet. I've heard the Everest meet is known for higher scoring (not stalking just saw the banner in the video lol). But it's a lovely routine. She really gets some height on that back tuck!

That definitely looks like a 9.4ish routine to me. Just a few tenths here and there in landings! Looks great!

It's really pretty routine, clean and polished. I would say around 9.3 to 9.4 because she didn't stick the landings on either tumbling pass. In the meets I have been to (my daughter did L6 last year) unless the tumbling was perfect it was under 9.5. I think it's best to look at placement rather than score.

I would say in Level 6 that would score 9.4-9.6, she had great height on her tumbling, her full turn was crisp and complete and her jump series showed really good extension. Just in general, she also showed a lot of performance in her routine, which judges like to see. Great job!

I'm at a 9.65. Her presentation is beautiful. I took .05 on her turn for being overturned, .1 on her first pass and .2 on her second for a little bent knees and the landing.

I wont give an exact score as we tend to score kids lower in Australia than you guys do in the US, but I also think it was a very good routine. The dance was very clean and this is often where the kids lose a lot of smaller deductions. I would agree that it deserved a very good score.

If I was being hard, 9.3, if not 9.5. Hard to say because the judging tends to vary regionally. Where I live seems like the higher end compared to what I see on YouTube and I'd eyeball it at about 9.5 for here. But when I take the deductions I think about 9.3. It's a very nice routine and will be even better when she nails the front pass and makes things a little crisper.

Sometimes at meets you see one event that is judged high...and vice versa. It is interesting, to be sure. But this said, it's a very nice routine! I loved it.
And I wish my daughter had that problem of scores that I thought were too high!:p

I'm at 9.3, assuming she met all her special requirements. Her first pass had a hop and her last salto looked like a very open tuck or bent knee layout. Her 3rd pass had a 3-foot hop at the landing, so that's .2 flat. Other than that it was very clean. Nicely done.

I wish my daughter had that problem of scores that I thought were too high!

Believe me, that has never been an issue with us before, which is why I was like, hmm, not so sure she deserved it.

She scored above a 9.5. Last year she got 9.0-9.2. Interestingly, her previous high score on floor was from the same meet last year. She upgraded a few things, like switch leap and FHS-FP instead of FT, so we were expecting similar scores to last year. When I watch her old videos, her leaps are better and for sure her presentation has improved. Thanks for taking a look!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back