WAG Scoring Out - Will dd have to wait until the summer???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

myeyeson_u

I did try to search this forum enough to find the answer, but I'm still uncertain.

Prior to us relocating, DD was old L4. She is currently competing Xcel Silver (she never competed and we moved to our new gym in July of last year - L4 competes in Aug). So there wasn't enough time for DD to train and compete new L4. And dd's coach stated her kip wasn't solid enough. Anywho, since competing, DD's coach did mention to me his plans for her. Of course when the season is done, all of us will know his plans for our girls. Her coach shared w/ me that he plans on having DD score out of L4 and L5. We don't do L6 at our gym. But we do Xcel Platinum and 7-10. So once she scores out, she'll either be placed in Platinum or L7 (I'm hoping for 7, but it's not my decision). Dd's season ends in April. To my understanding, the season ends in May (regionals and such), yes? If that's so, is she able to score out of both levels by then? Or will she have to wait until Aug? And once that happens, will she have to score out of L6 too, and then be able to compete in Dec (Xcel and Optionals compete Jan-May)? Or will she have to sit out a season? They do uptrain at the gym. She's learning L6 skills (learning flyaways and she's scared) :(

Often clubs pay a judge to come and score the kids out of levels. They could even do it in one afternoon. But more likely they will bring a judge in to score her out of 5 at the beginning of the summer and then send her to 1 level 6 meet in the autumn before the optional meets start. I wouldn't recommend it unless all her skills are really solid but it seems to happen quite often. 2 years at level 7 and 8 is common anyway.

She does not need to "score out" of level 6 to go to level 7. She can go right from level 5 to level 7. So, Coach could have her score out of 4 and 5 in the fall at the first two scheduled meets and then go right into 7 if she had all of her skills (even if he/she doesn't bring in a judge to do a special score out competition).

If this is still the plan I'd ask for more information. I'd think it would be best for her to score out of 4 with one meet now so that she can be working on the L5 routines to score out either at an in house meet or one of the normal fall meets. We did have one girl at our gym do the very first meet as a 5 and then just move to 6 for spring (she only just turned 8, her mom didn't want her going to 7 yet).

Just to warn you though - the 4s right now in GA aren't scoring all that high. If the gym just requires the USAG move up score then I'd imagine you would be fine. But if they would require a 36, those have been hard to come by. (3 out if 43 at one recent meet. 2 out if 42 at another.)

She does not need to "score out" of level 6 to go to level 7. She can go right from level 5 to level 7. So, Coach could have her score out of 4 and 5 in the fall at the first two scheduled meets and then go right into 7 if she had all of her skills (even if he/she doesn't bring in a judge to do a special score out competition).

That is what I meant I was thinking old levels lol

@2G1B She only has two meets left, and one of those are the state meets. Coach already made it clear he wants the girls to do the season as Silver, so they'd get the feel of competing. So I'm not sure that'll happen. And at dd's gym, some of the prior 4's (4's scored out of 5), didn't have issues scoring a 36. Not to say dd will knock it out the park, but I think she'll be fine. I think she'll end up doing these two meets in the fall. But I was hoping at least one meet, sooner.

And what info am I asking? I don't want to feel or come across as overbearing. And I'm trying to be patient and let her coach volunteer the info, like he did w/ everything else.

She is currently a L4 and her kips are "not solid" as per her coach, although I understand the up-training gyms do. L7 requires free hip to handstand, 2 giants, layout dismount to really be competitive at this level. That is a big change from L4-L5 even L6 at some gyms. I am not saying she can't do it, I would just hate for her to become discouraged. Have a sit down with the coach and go over the requirements. Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Ok... so, she could score out in a post season meet... If she learns the L4 routines, the L5 aren't that different... just a few substitutions. She could actually score out of both levels in 1 meet (either a "real" meet or have a judge come in for a score out meet) as long as they do L4 before L5. If he wants to wait until the beginning of next season, as long as the levels go in the right order with enough of a break between (and you don't mind paying 3x the meet fees), she could do L4, L5, and Platinum / L7 all in 1 meet.

I would probably count on her scoring out in the fall. You don't want to put too much pressure on her too fast. I'm not saying she couldn't handle it, but that's a lot to do in 1 meet, lol !!! We spent fall and spring at old level 4 (dd wasn't old enough to move up until the last meet of the spring season), fall at new level 4, & spring at new level 5. Spacing it out that much became a bit monotonous for DD so hopefully your dd can progress through a bit more quickly!!! We just got our floor music for L6/7 next spring today!!!

DD's gym would not jump someone over from Xcel to JO and score out of levels at the same time, but they do occasionally have a girl who's competed really well at new L4/old L5 score out and go directly to L7. These have all been very strong gymnasts, particularly on bars. One such girl did so last fall and they just brought in a judge to score her out of L5 in October or thereabouts. She's having a great year so far as a L7.

On the timing, though, I'm not sure why it would make sense to score her out in the spring as opposed to the fall. At least around here, there aren't enough meets remaining after states to make it worthwhile to do a level change until the fall. They are training the skills they will be training in the spring and summer regardless of what level they will compete in the following year. That way the coaches can place the girls at the appropriate level at the beginning of the season, when it's more clear what skills they have and don't have.

Reactions: &bs
@gymnasthadesty You def read my post wrong. DD has a solid KIP. There are no issues there. And she's not L4.

@gymmom It may end being fall that this happens. I just don't think there's enough time, after state, to learn floor routines & compete anything. And like @raenndrops stated, she'd have to learn two routines.

@profmom DD's gym doesn't use Xcel how it's shown on the USAG site. DD practices about the same, if not more hours than the L4's do (12hrs and an additional 2 hrs for physical ability class). And that's the rotation at the gym, well at least this year it is. It goes from Silver, to 4 (4's score out of 5), to Gold, to Platinum, then 7-10. And her coach stated DD could compete 4 and Gold right now, but his goal isn't to put her in 4 or Gold once the season ends. But that was two months ago when I was told this. It was recently I was informed about his plans for her, which is the scoring out of 4 & 5.

And from what I was told, we learn or know about placements in June. So dd is learning L6 skills, but I have no clue as to where coach wants to put her come fall. But I was inquiring because I don't know how it works. This is her first year competing.

The L4 and L5 routines are very similar. When girls skipped old L6 at DD's gym, they generally just learned the routines a few weeks before they competed them to hit the score out target. I wouldn't worry about the learning routines part if I were you. If they are hoping to move her up to optionals quickly, she's better off working skills than routines.

Really, though, things vary so much at different gyms that you're better off asking your coaches what they intend to do. If she were at DD's gym, she would probably train all summer with the goal of competing L5 next year and skipping 6 rather than scoring out of 4 and 5 to compete 6 as just one example of how different gyms have different philosophies about levels. But do keep in mind that a lot of coaches don't make decisions about levels until closer to when the fall competition season starts, because you just never know what will happen during summer uptraining (for good or bad!). If she's getting solid training, I am sure they will place her at a level where she can compete successfully and continue to progress.

Sorry I misunderstood your post, looked at it again. Our gym does not have Xcel, but again be ready for free hip to handstand on bars, giants with perfect form.

If she's coming out of Silver from Xcel, you have to score out of level's 3,4,5 to go to optional s. And in GA, compulsories run in the fall, unless coach decides to call in a judge for your dd and maybe some other girls to do the score out meet at the gym. Ask the coach, he will tell you. It would be much cheaper to if the judge came to the gym. Also, if she's that good, don't worry about how long it takes to learn a routine(even if its two). My dd remembers her routines in one day. Her old coach changed her floor routines four times already this season.

If she's coming out of Silver from Xcel, you have to score out of level's 3,4,5 to go to optionals. And in GA, compulsories run in the fall, unless coach decides to call in a judge for your dd and maybe some other girls to do the score out meet at the gym.
She doesn't have to score out of L3. It is not a required level. ... But I agree on everything else you said :)
As I am putting together the montage of OG's floor routines, it hit me that she hasn't done the exact same routine twice.

I have seen OP's DD floor routine, and you could tell that the coach was always preparing her for L4 and L5... based on some of the moves she is doing, etc. I think, especially with the similarity of the L4 and L5 routines, it will be a piece of cake to learn them and score out.
I also like the idea of calling in a judge (over the summer when they are less busy) to make it less expensive... and easier for her to do both L4 and L5 in one day... which is not as hard as some people think, considering I know a girl that competed old 5, old 6 and L7 in one meet last year (not for our gym)... so she had to remember 3 sets of routines :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back