Coaches Scoring rant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The deductions don't vary by region as far as I know...like I said, if she had been at an actual meet with real judges, she wouldn't have scored out.

Like I've said, I have personal experience with the gym and coaches in the video. The meet was an in-house meet. Because it is an in-house meet, does that not qualify as an "actual meet"? The judge is a "real" judge. We see her all the time at various meets in our region. What makes you say she is not a real judge?

I've sat with several different judges as I helped with posting scores at many of our in-house meets. Many judges do not deduct for every bent leg, bent arm, etc. If a gymnast has a constantly bent leg or a lot of not pointed toes they do not deduct for every incident. They take a general deduction. I think you are concentrating too much on those things and missing the fact, that for the most part, the gymnast can do the skills of that level. Also, the video does not list her scores. How did you know she got a 34.5? From the video, it looks like she may have gotten a 31. Certainly 34.5 is grossly over scored but 31 maybe not too far off.

yea, I really hope the child doesn't ever see this thread... perhaps it should be taken down? But yea, the mom or dad posted the AA score.

Well I am sure TX and CA have been higher for ages, but in the last cycle (the one that ended in 2005) it wasn't unusual for even low 9s to win states. I won states on floor one year (level 6) and I'm sure it was a 9.3 something, no higher. Again, we didn't practice as much as was typical these days, but the same percentage of time was probably spent on skills and nobody ever repeated level 6 or 7. Now, the "extra" 4-5 hours of practice probably end up being devoted entirely to routines. So I don't know. 6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I'm not sure the trend is for the best in the end, but there are some amazing young kids out there.
==

Texas and cali judging are complete polar opposites. Texas is very generous, (which is great) and Cali is notoriously harsh.
But it makes us work harder I guess,,,

Also, the video does not list her scores. How did you know she got a 34.5? From the video, it looks like she may have gotten a 31. Certainly 34.5 is grossly over scored but 31 maybe not too far off.

It WAS listed in the video description but has been removed. I didn't just pull that number out of the sky. It was there, now it isn't.

Yes, an in house meet is a real meet as long as it's sanctioned, and that particular judge is a qualified judge. All I mean is if the coaches were competing that child in my region, the scoring would have been way different - although, the deductions do not vary by region, there is obviously a huge variance in scores. Shouldn't be like that.

I agree with you twisting in that some states tend to score higher. The bottom line is however, everything eventually evens themselves out and people eventually realize which scores are the standard.

Well, guess I'm the odd man out again as I'm not only not seeing the problem, I'm going to add to it! ;) My last year level 4 team won everything in every State, they routinely filled the top 5 or 6 spots on the podium. They are talented, but aren't being challenged in competitions any longer. This summer we are going to do an in house meet with a judge to get them moved up to the new level 5. I have no intention of spending all summer teaching them the level 4 routines for one meet. Hopefully, one week should be enough since they are working hard on the 5 routines. So, when the judge (who has known me and the quality of athletes I produce for close to 20 years) comes in, I hope she will be looking at competency and safety more than actual scores, although I believe they will easily achieve them anyway. Having said that, I expect lots of 'text' errors in their routines, but does that mean they aren't qualified to do level 5? I wouldn't want someone posting any video of it, as only a week of working on them, they probably won't look the best, but they are safe and solid kids that need to move up and on! :)
PS. Be sure to look for my upcoming post titled "Have you ever eaten humble pie with a side of crow?" ;)

Well, guess I'm the odd man out again as I'm not only not seeing the problem, I'm going to add to it! ;) My last year level 4 team won everything in every State, they routinely filled the top 5 or 6 spots on the podium. They are talented, but aren't being challenged in competitions any longer. This summer we are going to do an in house meet with a judge to get them moved up to the new level 5. I have no intention of spending all summer teaching them the level 4 routines for one meet. Hopefully, one week should be enough since they are working hard on the 5 routines. So, when the judge (who has known me and the quality of athletes I produce for close to 20 years) comes in, I hope she will be looking at competency and safety more than actual scores, although I believe they will easily achieve them anyway. Having said that, I expect lots of 'text' errors in their routines, but does that mean they aren't qualified to do level 5? I wouldn't want someone posting any video of it, as only a week of working on them, they probably won't look the best, but they are safe and solid kids that need to move up and on! :)
PS. Be sure to look for my upcoming post titled "Have you ever eaten humble pie with a side of crow?" ;)
==
Have you heard the level 5 music!!!! ALERT ALERT ALERT, for the love of god, DON"T DO IT!!! seriously, I'm ready to boycott level 5! :eek:

To AerialRiver, Who would ask judges to take advantage of gymnasts who want to be the best, but when they go to optionals they are crashed by their real scores? That makes me so mad. :mad:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back