Seeking Opinions from Parents & Coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a bit of a decision to make here and am looking for input.

Basically I am a pre team coach to kids who are born in 2004 and a few kids in 2003 too. For the past 9 or so months I have had 10 kids intotal that I coach, placed into 2 different training groups.

Now about a month ago, I handed out a summer schedule indicating we would be continuing the summer training in two different small groups of 5 athletes per group. My boss told me two groups of 5 was too small and that I needed to test more kids so I could fill the groups to have two groups of 7-8 kids each. So, I have been testing kids. Like 5 kids so far.

Here it the confusing part. NOW, in the past week I have found out that 1 kid of mine is moving up to another group and another kid is quitting, which puts me at 8 kids all together. SO, since I had 8 kids, we decided to combine them ALL into one group and forget the option of two training groups. Parents have all been notified there will only ben ONE group for the summer.

Now I tested this one kid, who is OUTSTANDING!! She is strong, flexible, naturally tight, and has nice form. I absolutely want her in my group, but don't know if 9 kids in a pre comp group of 5/6 year olds is biting off more than I can chew.

Coaches, have you had any experience doing something similar? Did it work out? Any advice?

Parents, would you be upset if your 5/6 year old were in a class this large? Any advice?

Thanks Everyone.

Last edited:
I would prefer a group of nine to have two coaches working together. NIne with one coach seems like just a few to many even for stations. Are you able to keep nine focussed and moving without them standing in line for ages?

Watching them is so important at this stage, I cannot imagine having to keep my eye on 4 different stations whilst spotting at the fifth.

I would prefer 6 in the group at that age, 7 absolute max.

Maybe you can run the group 5 days a week andgive them3 of the 5 days, so they are all in your group, but you never have more than 7 at a time.

I would hate to switch the schedule on the parents again. That would be the only thing about coaching every night per week.

I really like the idea of having another coach help me. Problem is I pitched this club secretary and she said it probably won't work because of money. They won't wanna pay two coaches.

It'll be a little bit of a stretch but if it was going to be 8 anyway I'm not sure it's going to throw you totally over the edge. 1:8 or less would be ideal for preteam, but I've done 1:9 before. Do you have room to set up stations? The best will be to set up simple strength stations they can do with little supervision then have a spotting station.

I'd probably just try to test a few more kids and go back to the idea of two groups myself.

gymdog, Thanks. You have a good point... 8:1 or 9:1 is not a huge difference. In our gym, there are two other pre comp groups with the ratio of 8:1. One group is 7 and 8 yr olds the other group ranges from 5 to 7 yr olds.

Maybe I should test a few more and start a new group. I really didn't want to do this in the first place though as I have a second job and was finding two groups very busy.

So confused... I wonder if I could talk to my gym owner about having a CIT or another coach helping.

I think you should try and find a young coach/ex gymnast to help. Cheaper for the club, a good way for a new coach to learn and all that extra re-enforcement for the gymnasts.

I have a possible 9 kid pre team size as well. One that I really like but hasn't committed, and another that's a possibility after I evaluate her. If they both join, 9 kids.

I think this should be fine for a pre team, if your selection process includes maturity, any outgoing tendencies, and the gymnasts ability to articulate well. Stations are a life saver. If the workout is long, waiting to take a turn (2-3 kids a station) is a chance to catch their breath and watch the skill being done by another. Both are good. Also, being in a constant state of high physical stress is no good, stations alleviate that. Being articulate and not shy in groups will keep them from getting lost in the group if they have questions.

When we work together as 7, I have 2 rows. 4 kids in the back row, 3 in the front. They have their places memorized so it's not a confused scramble every time I ask for it. This is totally doable with 9.

Bottom line, if you think you're up for 9, and the gymnast in question is really impressive, I'd go for it.

Last edited:
I don't think 9 is too many but it depends upon your comfort with the situation, your employer's comfort, or hc's comfort, your experience, availability of equipment and room to set up stations etc.

Depending upon your attendance rates you may have 8 or less some of the time anyway.

I would do 3 stations of 3 most of the time probably. A lot of static holds, conditioning, and basics, as the stations and the main skill w/ you.

Or, 3 lines of 3 doing the main skill and you rotate around.

Or, spread out on line all working at the same time and you moving around.

But if you are used to working with 5 at a time it could be overwhelming, is there room for the girl you evaluated in another of the pre-team groups, or does your program utilize a wait-list?

If you want her in the group that much, go for it. I think a young coach/gymnast is a great idea too. 3 x 3 is very easy, and there are lots of ways to use the time productively. Something to do with 3 is have one doing the skill (or a combination works best) and then one gymnasts finds something good, and one finds something that could be better.

I have worked with 8 maximum kids at one time and hve handled it fine in the past.

The nice thing about this situation is during the summer, we have a very empty gym to train in. That gives us 2 months to work as a group of 9, and get used to it.

Our gym is typiclly small and busy, but during the summer.. one night a week it will be my group and 2 other pre groups. The other night it will be just my group and 1 other group. And the other night, my group, 2 other pre groups, and one rec class for an hour. So space and equipment for stations does definetely seem available.

Unfortunately there is not really room for this young girl in another group. Only options would be her training 12 hrs a week with 8 yr olds (she'd be overwhelemed, or training in an interclub group.

She has the potential to be a very good gymnast.

I think I am gonna try out 9. I will ask one gymnast at our gym if she would like to CIT for some community service hours, and that should help.

Wow thanks for all the suggestions - very helpful!!!!

Dont forget one may drop out or move elsewhere. Because the extra girl is really good I would go for it.

Thanks everyone. I talked to my head coach and what we will be doing is having a group of 9.

Since its the summer, girls will miss days here and there, which means I may often have 8 girls at a time anyway.

Also, if another one quits or moves up a level come September, I should be left with a solid group of 8 athletes.

There was no way I could not give this girl a spot. I knew that right after I tested her. Far too talented, hard working, and eager.

I will let you all know how it goes!

Basically it's going to be up to how you coach it. If you have time to have stations set up before you go to rotations, 9's not a difficult number to deal with. I've had larger groups in the past. It's a lot more work on the coach to make sure the kids get what they need but it's doable.

I have a daughter who is 6 and a level 3 gymnast. I don't think 8 or 9 to one coach is too much. :)
On the same note, my older daughter who is 10 and her friend help the coaches with the younger classes and LOVE it. I bring them during these class times and they help demonstrate and guide the kids-no spotting, but just being a helper. They are learning to coach and observing. They are not paid. Honestly, it is a big help to the coaches. :) Maybe something like that would help you and not cost the gym money. Occaisionally, the girls join in a tumbling class for free.

I've worked 9 with a pre L4 group. Most of the girls were 9-12, so it was pretty easy as they were somewhat more mature. Yes, they were a bit chatty but I rarely ever had behavior problems or any issues of where they goofed around or talked too much.

With the little ones, good luck as it may try your patience. Sometimes, it may work since they may not be too talkative at that age.

But it's definitely doable.

So, update on the situation!~

The group will now only have 8 athletes - which is what I originally planned for. The reason being is that we are opening a new group of beginner 5 year olds and one of my athletes in my group is just a bit behind on skills anyway, so her parents and me decided it was a good fit for her. She will move to the new group and I will have 8 athletes rather than 9.

So, it all worked out. 8 kids it is. I am looking forward to teaching them new skills now that competitions are done!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back