WAG Sewing gymnastics leotards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

blue_5678

Coach
Gymnast
Does anyone have any tips for sewing their own gymnastics leotards? I have decent sewing skills and a good machine, but I've never tried sewing spandex/Lycra before. I recently bought some spandex that would make a beautiful leotard!

P.S. This is my first post, not sure if it's in the right place/if I've done it properly!

Jalie, for patterns and youtube videos :)

It's pretty easy, jersey needle on your machine, and follow the pattern. I find lycra easier to work with as it's more forgiving- a mm out here or there won't show when the leotard is worn.

Sorry to hijack your post a little, but how would you suggest sewing these into the shoulders of meet leos?

5dc7017b080bbc63d080cb50d1f2a4ce.jpg

Would it be the same as in a regular shirt? Would it show through? Etc...

I'm quite the novice sewist, and the only clothing I've made is leos and the shorts to go with.

The Jalie patterns I've used have been clear and easy to follow.

I prefer the Kwik Sew patterns- not sure if they are still available I have had them for years. I find them way easier to work with than the Jalie patterns, and easier to modify if you want to change things. Plus I found them way more comfortable for just a plain training leotard.
My biggest tip is to use a serger with wooly nylon thread on it, makes such a difference.
I made my first leo at 12 with little assistance and can now get one done in an hour or less.

Jalie has much better fit than Kwiksew (i have used both). Kwiksew does have excellent instructions for beginners, but if you're an intermediate seamstress you will be able to do Jalie, no problem. (I very rarely even look at instructions anymore).
Just dive in, BUT use a cheaper fabric first to check fit etc. You want to make sure you work out the kinks before using your treasured fabric. :) Sewing leotards is easy and gratifying. :)

I taught myself to sew pretty much entirely from online reading and YouTube... I drafted my own leotard pattern from a Leo that already fit me and even though I now use a pattern to make set sizes for club orders, I still use my original pattern for all of my own Leo's. It's really not hard and so much more forgiving than sewing with non stretch fabrics.

If you are doing appliqué, a children's glue stick will hold everything together more securely and flat than any number of pins. When I first started I even used to glue some of the trickier seams (like the bottoms seam with the front, back, and gusset all together) to keep everything secure. Then you can just wash the glue out when it's all finished.

Good luck and make sure you post a photo of your creations when you're done!

Sorry to hijack your post a little, but how would you suggest sewing these into the shoulders of meet leos?

5dc7017b080bbc63d080cb50d1f2a4ce.jpg

Would it be the same as in a regular shirt? Would it show through? Etc...
I would carefully hand sew these into the shoulders using matching thread. You can probably sew it into the seam allowance inside if you do it by hand, so it won't show at al from the outside. Don't worry too much if you can't manager that though, I doubt anyone will really notice a few stitches on shoulders from the outside anyway, as long at the thread matches!

I taught myself to sew pretty much entirely from online reading and YouTube... I drafted my own leotard pattern from a Leo that already fit me and even though I now use a pattern to make set sizes for club orders, I still use my original pattern for all of my own Leo's. It's really not hard and so much more forgiving than sewing with non stretch fabrics.

If you are doing appliqué, a children's glue stick will hold everything together more securely and flat than any number of pins. When I first started I even used to glue some of the trickier seams (like the bottoms seam with the front, back, and gusset all together) to keep everything secure. Then you can just wash the glue out when it's all finished.

Good luck and make sure you post a photo of your creations when you're done!

How did you make your own pattern? I've got quite a long torso so not many leotards fit me nicely, making my own pattern would probably fit better than using a store-bought pattern. Did you just traxe out your own leo accounting for seam allowance?

How did you make your own pattern? I've got quite a long torso so not many leotards fit me nicely, making my own pattern would probably fit better than using a store-bought pattern. Did you just traxe out your own leo accounting for seam allowance?

I've tried just tracing out an old leo, but it gets complicated near the bottom as it's hard to accurately find the original shape after it's been gathered by the legs. If you use a Jalie pattern, they show you how to add to the girth (length of torso). It's actually very simple-you just slash the pattern at the waist and add some space there.

Well, over 4 hours later and I've produced the most lop-sided, unwearable leotard! Oh well, at least I used some scrap spandex instead of the nice stuff ;) I guess I'll just try again! I used the Jalie pattern but something must have shifted when I cut it out, none of the edges would line up properly...

Make sure you are cutting on the grainline (usually perpendicular to the selvage). Nylon/spandex can be very slippery and you need to take your time cutting. :). It will get easier, but definitely get more cheap spandex to practice on before diving into the good stuff!!!

I usually like to trace the pattern with a marker and then cut out on that line. I don't like putting pins in spandex or trying to cut around a paper pattern-somehow it gets pulled out of shape every time!

Also-that Jalie pattern always looks like the side of the front and back won't match up, since the side of the back piece cuts in so much farther. You have to sort of "pivot" the fabric to make it line up.

Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back